And you thought the NRMP was bad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waiting4Ganong

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waiting4Ganong said:

Disgusting. :mad:

Whatever about EU students being selected on an equal basis, it is incredibly unjust that foreign students are being offered jobs ahead of British/EU students.

I still have a while to go yet though. Hopefully they'll have sorted out this fiasco and be back to interviews by the time I graduate.

I read this too -and was really pleased that it made the front page of the Times, this is hugely significant in attracting much-needed publicity to these enormous problem. I can't believe that they are ignoring where you went to med school in allocating places - that's just stupid. I realise that the reason they do this is because it used to be the case that you had to stay in the area you trained in (essentially) and they don't want this to be the case - but this is extreme. I too hope (and trust) that they'll have sorted this crap by the time I graduate, but this is so awful for those who are jobless after med school right now. I can hardly imagine what that must be like. You go to uni for 5 / 6 years, and are unemployed afterwards?! PRHO jobs pay badly enough as it is................ this is just dreadful.

Members don't see this ad :)
jane2 said:
PRHO jobs pay badly enough as it is................ this is just dreadful.

Really? My F1 job next year earns 32K pounds (56K dollars) a year, with free accomodation in the middle of one of the most expensive cities in the world, and no more than 56hrs work per week* (by EU law).

I think this matches up quite well to other internships worldwide (total package is worth >2x US intern compensation, with just over half the hours!!!)

I guess everything is relative!

W4G.

Waiting4Ganong said:
Really? My F1 job next year earns 32K pounds (56K dollars) a year, with free accomodation in the middle of one of the most expensive cities in the world, and no more than 56hrs work per week* (by EU law).

I think this matches up quite well to other internships worldwide (total package is worth >2x US intern compensation, with just over half the hours!!!)

I guess everything is relative!

W4G.

£32K? Is that the top bracket, or is £36K the best one? Someone explained it to me a few months ago, but I can't remember the different grades for the life of me!

20-21K basic (40hrs/wk)

then times by a factor depending both number of hours and how busy the job is...

From memory:

Band 1 Jobs (>40hrs but <48hrs)
1a (busy): 1.5x
1b (fairly busy): 1.4
1c (no stress): 1.2

Band 2 Jobs (>48hrs but <56hrs)
2a (busy): 1.8
2b (fairly busy): 1.5
2c: doesn't exist

Band 3 Jobs (>56hrs)
Banned! But in theory 2x basic pay.

Most jobs are now 1a, 1b or 2b
Some gp rotations just get basic pay (ie: you are working <40hrs/wk :laugh: )

21K basic x 1.5 = 31.5K

On top of this there is a "london weighting" of 2K to compensate for higher living costs if you don't take up the (free) hospital accom. for some reason.

There are always doomsayers saying it'll all go to basic pay (21K/yr) now with MMC but currently no F1 at my hospital is on basic for more than 4mos. I'd say average is >30K. (range 27-36K)

Hope this helps.

Just from memory to give you a general idea but roughly right. You can google it to get exact numbers.

I mean it's not that bad but considering I'm currently making only very marginally less temping as a legal secretary on my gap year, working 40 hours a week, I dont think it's all that great... given that you need to do a 5 year degree to get there!

oh yeah. compared to other graduate jobs it sucks. People who left my Uni three years ago after undergrad (and before we started clinical school) are now making 70-100K+ pounds/yr in the City, McKinnsey etc.

But as a good friend as mine say: "Anyone who does medicine for the money is too stupid to be a doctor anyway!" :laugh:

Pretty good terms for 'ternship though. When I looked at east coast US some places were offering 20 pounds/yr for an 80hour week living in one of the most expensive cities in the world. :eek: Not so reasonable.

Thanks for posting the articles, W4G!

I have to admit, when I read about the matching system last year, I was concerned -- and I'm sorry that it is not working out very well for the students or the hospitals. I would be outraged (to say the least) if I was in either position. Residency in the US involves both matching and interviews, but the matching is not based on a "personality profile" at least... gosh, I'm twinging just thinking about all the possibilities for error in that system. Since part of my training was in behavioral science, I feel keenly how little people must respect that system. I hope they make some changes quickly without upsetting everything further. :\

Here is the form:

http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/SFAS/How_to_Apply/SFAS_Forms/default.asp

Click on link for: UK National Application Form

The UK "Match" involved filling in this form. It greats graded by anonymous (retired doctors and members of the public apparently) people somewhere (not in the hospital where you want to work). That score (based on somewhere between 0 and 4 points for each little box on the form) determines when in the order the computer will look at your rank list (assigning you your highest ranked job from those remaining).

A big game. As long as you play the game it is fine but it does seem to have caught some people out.

You'll note that the hospitals themselves get no say whatsoever in picking who will be working for them!!!