And where are these 6 months of preparation coming from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seriously

MSIII
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so, everyone seems to talk about how they're taking 6 months to prepare, or 6 weeks, or even just 4 weeks. Regardless, how are you doing this?? Do you actually get that much time off between 2nd and 3rd year? Because we get a couple of weeks, and as I understand it, that's pretty standard. So if you say that you started preparing 4 months in advance, does that mean WHILE you were still studying for classes? And if so, how many hours of non-class USMLE studying do you do per day? It's probably a dumb question, but I've really been wondering this for a while...

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so, everyone seems to talk about how they're taking 6 months to prepare, or 6 weeks, or even just 4 weeks. Regardless, how are you doing this?? Do you actually get that much time off between 2nd and 3rd year? Because we get a couple of weeks, and as I understand it, that's pretty standard. So if you say that you started preparing 4 months in advance, does that mean WHILE you were still studying for classes? And if so, how many hours of non-class USMLE studying do you do per day? It's probably a dumb question, but I've really been wondering this for a while...

i think most people who say they are studying like 3 months are foreign students. most american students study whatever their school gives them, like 4-8week. although there are quite a number of posters on this board that studied during class as well. i wasn't one of them so im sure they will chime in.

I started reviewing in January (test early June) but my priority was very much my ongoing classes.

January-March I set aside 8 hrs/week for Step 1 review.

No review during spring break.

April and May I increased to 16. I did not decrease my time studying path and micro (my spring courses), I just studied more total by studying on Saturdays and Friday nights, which were previously dedicated to rest and recreation.

As blz said, most people studying for 3-6 months are FMGs. I suppose if you took a research year you could pull that off as well, if you needed to.

Members don't see this ad :)
And how do you guys feel when the FMG scores a 250 after 6 months study(when you had 6 weeks) and take your residency spot. Oh, did I mention they don't have $200k in debt.

And how do you guys feel when the FMG scores a 250 after 6 months study(when you had 6 weeks) and take your residency spot. Oh, did I mention they don't have $200k in debt.

i don't feel bad because even with their 250 they will still have trouble matching. plus, most are so out of the game they wont hit anywhere near 250. a lot of that 3-6 months is used for catching up.

I think you are deslusional to think that FMG are not taking away our competitive spots. Looking at the 2007 NRMP data relaease and you will see they are very capable of competing for competitive residencies.

I think you are deslusional to think that FMG are not taking away our competitive spots. Looking at the 2007 NRMP data relaease and you will see they are very capable of competing for competitive residencies.

you have to be delusional to think that FMG applicants are taking away our opportunities. maybe you're speaking from personal experience, but in general, i dont consider FMG applicants a threat to any US applicant.

FMGs basically take unfilled spots buddy--spots that no American grad ever wanted to begin with.

ugh... go look in the 2007 NRMP release data. There a significant number of FMGs matching in cometitive specialties like ortho, radiology, ENT in this years match. Go look before you talk.

ugh... go look in the 2007 NRMP release data. There a significant number of FMGs matching in cometitive specialties like ortho, radiology, ENT in this years match. Go look before you talk.

Sorry I don't have time to look right now. I have exams next week but I'll take your word.

However, if that is the case, maybe they ARE more competative and qualified. Equal opportunity my friend. Regardless, I can't seem to get mad at FMGs just because they probably work twice as hard as any American grad to get to where they are. They're really bright people who happened to have been born abroad and want exactly what you and I want: a cush lifestyle some day. You can't blame them. Just work harder I say, and step up to the competition just like they did.

I'm an FMG and I studied for about 4 months (started in Jan - took some breaks). But there's nothing magic about the time. We have to attend medical school too! I started reviewing path USMLE stuff during my school year and it helped me for both my written and oral pathology exams. At the end of the school year I did an NBME and got a 230 and found out I don't know anything about biochem, molecular bio, and behavioural science so the rest of the review I concentrated on those. Ended up with a 245 and don't think I studied longer then any US student.

It's all about oppertunites in the US. I'd only go if I got a residency spot in EM. If all I could really get in the states was FM or IM I'd return home (Canada) or stay in Ireland.

But I think it will be hard. I'll do an elective next summer in the states. If I can get a good letter or two then it might help me but I imagine it will be an up hill battle to take a EM residency spot away from an American citizen.

Sorry I don't have time to look right now. I have exams next week but I'll take your word.

However, if that is the case, maybe they ARE more competative and qualified. Equal opportunity my friend. Regardless, I can't seem to get mad at FMGs just because they probably work twice as hard as any American grad to get to where they are. They're really bright people who happened to have been born abroad and want exactly what you and I want: a cush lifestyle some day. You can't blame them. Just work harder I say, and step up to the competition just like they did.

There's a problem with what you said about equal opportunity. The problem is that it comes at the expense of a country that I grew up in and that I pay taxes to; and which they don't. Do you let other people come into your house and take your bread. And speaking of them being more competitive; I'm sure I can significantly raise my board scores if I had 4 months to study instead of 6 weeks. You see the problem

There's a problem with what you said about equal opportunity. The problem is that it comes at the expense of a country that I grew up in and that I pay taxes to; and which they don't. Do you let other people come into your house and take your bread. And speaking of them being more competitive; I'm sure I can significantly raise my board scores if I had 4 months to study instead of 6 weeks. You see the problem
You can study for 4 months. Just start in Jan. Gunners are gunners no matter if they're US students or FMG's.

When a US gunner starts in Jan and takes a spot away it's ok but when an FMG does it it's unfair? Why do you think FMG's can create time out of no where to do extra study for?

Also, stealing the best people from everywhere else in the world is what made America a great country. It seems when I go to the states I hear a lot of people my age saying this kind of xenophobic stuff and it confuses me.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of being loved or hated by the forum...

I am an American-born-and-raised citizen who went to the Caribbean for my medical education. I went there because all the US schools turned me away, despite my stellar MCAT score of 34 and glowing personal recommendations. I can understand an admissions comittee citing my lack of clinical experience as an exclusion criteria, but I worked all throughout college, making money to support habits like paying for rent, utilities, car repairs, dates, etc. I can understand them citing "no research" as an exclusion criteria, but I also wanted to be young and have fun so that I didn't miss out on my "good years", and spending my evenings counting test tubes is pretty bloody dull. I watched as hundreds of other students with inferior scores took my US med school spot simply because: "well they're foreigners or minorities, and we're nice guys like that, affirmative action and all."

I did well at my Caribbean school, took 7 weeks to study for the STEP 1, and earned a 248. I want an EM residency, because I'm bright, competitive, and qualified.

That being said...

I totally understand Reborn07's plight of "not giving away US residencies" to FMGs. After all, I'm an AMERICAN, and this is MY country. In short, "I was here first." Other nations (both developed and underdeveloped) aren't NEARLY as nice about this as the US is. Try legally getting a job in a lot of other nations as a foreigner, let alone getting accepted to medical school. It's not that easy, period. However; if we're going to eschew FMGs from residency spots, we'd better take a look at the whole process, from admissions to residencies. I paid my taxes, was more than qualified, and somehow I found myself being punished for wanting a healthy, well-balanced life.

I'm sorry if this post fell apart, but I've totally lost my train of thought. One more thing I want to mention before I close is this: Before any US citizen says - "But we're all immigrants if you think about it." - they'd better check to see if they have a US issued driver's license, passport, etc. I'm not an immigrant. I was born in the US, and I need a home nation, too. I take care of my nation by paying taxes, signing up for selective service, etc... and I expect it to take care of me.

At the risk of being loved or hated by the forum...

I am an American-born-and-raised citizen who went to the Caribbean for my medical education. I went there because all the US schools turned me away, despite my stellar MCAT score of 34 and glowing personal recommendations. I can understand an admissions comittee citing my lack of clinical experience as an exclusion criteria, but I worked all throughout college, making money to support habits like paying for rent, utilities, car repairs, dates, etc. I can understand them citing "no research" as an exclusion criteria, but I also wanted to be young and have fun so that I didn't miss out on my "good years", and spending my evenings counting test tubes is pretty bloody dull. I watched as hundreds of other students with inferior scores took my US med school spot simply because: "well they're foreigners or minorities, and we're nice guys like that, affirmative action and all."
I don't hate you, I pity you. But I'm happy for you that you have someone to blame for your hurdles.

I don't hate you, I pity you. But I'm happy for you that you have someone to blame for your hurdles.

:thumbup:

Kinda randomly related - I'm on a rotation where there are some students from Ross rotating in - and while they are very nice people, I've never met a bunch of people more full of their accomplishments in my life.

"I got a perfect MCAT, went to Harvard Undergrad... insert story about girlfriend... and am now at Ross". Verbatim

There are a lot of great guys from other schools here, and this is by no means directed towards you - but please tell your classmates that think they are the second coming, that no one cares.

Oh, I understand that there are so many FMGs out there that think that they're the cat's whiskers, but I have a healthy respect for that which I don't yet know. When I read Roy7's post, I immediately thought of around ten kids from my class that think that they're just amazing, but are about to get slapped by the first attending that they meet.

My bitch is: US med school admissions are a crapshoot, and if you're a regular dime-a-dozen white kid like me, then the deck is already stacked against you in your own home nation. I've been all over Europe and South America, and it seems like the world is saying - "Trying to get a job in _____ ? Get out of here, kid - we have to take care of our own citizens, first." then back home - "Trying to go to medical school in the US? - Well, the gov't says that we need to take care of the rest of the world before our own, so take a seat and maybe we'll get around to you." Something's not adding up.

Addendum: Those taking 6-8 months to study are mostly from God-knows-where, or are old grads from other nations that have the luxury of time. If you really want to read some bizarre things, go read the STEP 1 forum at prep4usmle.com:

"I took 9 months to study, read FA/Kaplan three times, did USMLEWorld and failed miserably. What can I do to improve my score ?"

"I failed three times, took six months to study for each time. Can anyone give me advice ?"

It blows my mind. I mean, I can't believe that they can't learn enough just through sheer petulance to PASS.

Addendum: Those taking 6-8 months to study are mostly from God-knows-where, or are old grads from other nations that have the luxury of time. If you really want to read some bizarre things, go read the STEP 1 forum at prep4usmle.com:

"I took 9 months to study, read FA/Kaplan three times, did USMLEWorld and failed miserably. What can I do to improve my score ?"

"I failed three times, took six months to study for each time. Can anyone give me advice ?"

It blows my mind. I mean, I can't believe that they can't learn enough just through sheer petulance to PASS.

Okay while I agree with you that it is pathetic, I think you have to factor in a language barrier that a lot of people have. You try going to another country and taking their tests. Now I don't know how that is, but I suppose that it's not gonna be a slice of pie.

FrogE7: I agree. When I "quoted" those posts from that "other" forum, I intentionally omitted (or corrected, rather) all of the English-language errors that happen oh-so-commonly there. I encourage anyone here to go to that "other" forum and try and make sense of any of the "advices" that are given there.

Overall, you are right: I would NEVER try and get licensed in say; Germany, Spain, or India without first being able to intelligently express myself both in the written and verbal communication style of the region/nation. However, that is an obstacle that I would acknowledge, prepare for, and do my best to overcome. Now...

... judging by the English-language capabilities of half of my undergrad professors and half of the fully-licensed docs at the hospitals where I'm a fixture at... the United States doesn't hold anyone to NEARLY the standard that other nations do. It's sad, really... who are the hospitals and healthcare-providers looking out for here in the US... our patient base (who speaks primarily English)... or our fiscal bottom line ? At the hospital where I work; we are obligated by law to have an interpreter (or an interpretation service, available via telephone) on-hand at ALL times to accomodate someone who only speaks some obscure dialect of whatever-eastern-language. If not, our asses are in the legal sling, and the administration will be paying the lawyers from here until the end of time. However, if I go to Whatever-istan, need medical attention, and speak only English... well, I'm pretty much screwed.

The United States is by far the most "accomidating" nation on the globe, and all too often we fulfill that role at the cost of our own citizens.

Rustedfox... I am from pakistan and i promise you that you wont be screwed there because of your English as long as you speak English not any hick, yo slang alien crap from mars.
I am not sure which IMG has stepped on your tail but the fact is that your coutry needs IMGs to make the health system work and thats the only reason they are allowed to come here. Also all the IMGs who come here are far more hard working and intelligent than you (at least they were all accepted in med schools in their own coutries). It was your decision to $&%^$ your girl friend or enjoy dating instead of playing with test tubes in some lab. So if you were not been accepted in any US med school, it was your fault not any IMG's fault.
By the way are you native American? if not then you are also an immigrant no matter if you were born in an incubator at some US hospital. My advice for you, stop whining and blamming others for your failures and loose your attitude about IMGs because after going to a caribbean med school you will be TREATED as an IMG at the time of residency application. Most likely you are going to end up in a program where you have to work with your BROTHERS....... I mean IMGs.

Rusted fox - though i can understand the frustration and the general attitude that you have towards US medical schools, it doesn't change the fact that even with steller MCAT scores and undergrad GPA, you are an FMG - from what my understanding is, some schools in the caribbeans give a lighter courseload (some, not all) in order to give time to prepare. This can account for why some people say they took 6 months to study. At the end of the day, like others stated, FMGs take more time generally and there are many that work really hard while in school compared to their US counterparts because they are aware they are at a disadvantage. It's just the way the system works.

Now, for someone who claims to be an intelligent individual, i'm surprised you didn't know that you needed either research or clinical experience to get into medical school. It's one of the things that is hammered every day - "volunteer... do research" etc. That has very little to do with why some minority student may have taken your spot. If some guy named Lee or Patel took your spot, i bet you its not because of the color of their skin since AA doesn't apply to them.

Also, i'm stunned at your lack of understanding other people's culture/backgrounds. You have this "i'm white, the system is against me" attitude - Whether they be the people who got into US schools, your professors, your peers, your future patients. It's clear that you don't have any respect for people who 1 - don't speak English perfectly and 2 - who's skin absorbs any wavelength of light (i.e. colored).

You claim that you wouldn't try to take an exam for another nation until you fully mastered the culture/language. I don't think you truly realize how difficult that is if you haven't been raised in the respective country. I guarantee that no matter how hard you tried, you would ever be able to be "ready" by your own definition. Also, you must really think that doctors in the rest of the world are complete *****s. Most of the world speaks english (maybe not perfectly but they speak enough to communicate). Even if you went to another country, i guarantee that unless the local witch-doctor is treating you, any MD will be able to communicate and treat you accordingly.

I apologize for going off topic so yeah --- 6 months are sometimes people who are MDs in other nations and come here for their exams. Sometimes its FMGs taking time off to do really well.

Wow. There are so many things wrong with Shah's last post that I won't even address them here. I *especially* won't contest the definition of "immigrant". If you want to continue this debate with me, please write me a PM, and let's spare the forum this off-topic debate.

Apologies to all, as I allowed this to veer off-topic myself. This is my last post on this topic. Look for my contributions in other, more focused threads.

By the way are you native American? if not then you are also an immigrant no matter if you were born in an incubator at some US hospital. My advice for you, stop whining and blamming others for your failures and loose your attitude

:thumbup:

Like I said, I'm against foreigners coming to my house and taking my bread. If every US med. student was given 4 month to study, we could pretty much make the boards irrelevant since everyone would get really high scores. And in response to the notion that we need FMGs to make the US medical system work, we've recently increased admissions here in the states so that we need less of your...ahem "assistance".

If you think so highly of yourself, why don't you stay in your country and practice there.
I might! It's all about the oppertunities man. EM is a fairly new field and most of the Canadian programs are still the 2+1 FM programs with a year of EM. I think a 3 or 4 year EM program might be more what I'm looking for.

And I do like the US. I worked as a programmer in San Diego for a year after undergrad. I know you're probably mad for taking another job away from a US citizen but it was also a good experience!

That's so funny that you message is pretty much "go back to your country foreigners!" Guys, stop hating on the IMG's so much. Who cares about where people are originally from. People are people and I truely am sorry that you feel people pursuing their dream is taking away an oppertunity from you. I hope in time that you do see that having healthy immigration (especially when you're importing people with professional degrees) is actually very, very good for the country and is a big part of what allows you to live the life you've become accustomed to. I know you keep saying "but I'm an American and I'm entitled by birth to my piece of the pie" but trust me, you still have it better than 99% of people who live on this planet.

Hey buddy I'm not an FMG so you don't have to prove anything to me. But I am standing up for them because I don't think they do anything wrong. They're just competition. If you're smart enough, you'll rise up to the challenge and stop complaining.

I might! It's all about the oppertunities man. EM is a fairly new field and most of the Canadian programs are still the 2+1 FM programs with a year of EM. I think a 3 or 4 year EM program might be more what I'm looking for.

And I do like the US. I worked as a programmer in San Diego for a year after undergrad. I know you're probably mad for taking another job away from a US citizen but it was also a good experience!

That's so funny that you message is pretty much "go back to your country foreigners!" Guys, stop hating on the foreigners so much. Who cares about where people are originally from. Black, brown, white, let's all be brothers.

That's exactly my point. Go back to your country. Why should our tax dollars be used to train you. And don't give me that "I think a 3 or 4 year EM program might be more what I'm looking for." We know full well that canadian physicians make like crap and if it was comparable to how much an EM doc makes here, why wouldn't you want to go through a 2-3 year program.

That's exactly my point. Go back to your country. Why should our tax dollars be used to train you. And don't give me that "I think a 3 or 4 year EM program might be more what I'm looking for." We know full well that canadian physicians make like crap and if it was comparable to how much an EM doc makes here, why wouldn't you want to go through a 2-3 year program.
The salary doesn't change. If I return to Canada after my residency why would you believe I would be paid more then someone trained in Canada?

Ah reborn, I just read over some of your other posts to check if you were a troll or not and you generally seem scared of IMG's after you got your board scores back. So now I feel for you a little bit. I don't think you need to worry - I think pretty much every US grad who applies to gen surg gets a spot somewhere. A step one of 200 is plenty high enough to match. I even know an IMG who matched with a 206. And he was only right out of medical school as well. No more extra experience then you or I.

with such Nazi attitude, I don't think you would match anywhere even if you score 270+; you speak of foreigners like your dad is the American father of medicine............Medicine is science, and science moves forward by its openess for knowledge and excellence, not by discreminating based on nationality and the color of your skin!

If you really want to succeed for your hard work and endavors, I highly recommend another "rebirth", and this time practice to stop spending much of your energy critisizing those who easily match into their desired program, and instead put your time and efforts into improving your chances to match into your desired program.

It's amazing that in such diverse country, there are people like you becoming doctors.........will you put a sign by your office saying "NO DOGS, NO FOREIGNERS"?

Firstly, let me start off by saying that I'm a Canadian citizen and MS3 at a caribbean school currently living in the U.S.

While I can completely understand why an american would be pissed off if he or she, for whatever reason, was chosen over a foreigner for any job, I don't see why the attacks are against the individual. Professionals who come to this country, for the most part, come in legally. They apply for the required visas and go through all the paperwork and are law abiding. They didn't put a gun on an american citizen's head and steal their job. They got it just like everyone else. They applied and interviewed just like everyone else. Telling foreigners to go back to their home country is not going to stop them from coming here. If you really want to do something about it voice your concerns to the government officials and PDs who allow this to go on. My country doesn't have the equivalent of a H1b or J1 visa, so the issue of FMGs taking spots away from canadian medical graduates and canadian citizens doesn't arise in the first place. It is almost impossible for a foreigner to get a residency spot in Canada. Although the majority of programs accept applications from IMGs, the applicant must be a Canadian citizen or PR.

This topic pops up every few weeks and it's the same freakin discussion every single time. It might make you feel better for attacking IMGs, but don't think that's going to help change the current situation in any way.

Okay I can see where some of you are coming from from both sides, but I cant see how increased competition decreases the quality of medical care.

Some of the best doctors I know are IMG's - that's a good thing.

Personally, these IMG's have sacrified way more, and have never had a "balanced life" by american standards. I think it's unfair that people can get even more priority treatment just because they were born in a certain country despite being an inferior applicant/doctor.

It's about the quality of healthcare, not about letting everyone that wants to make a nice salary get it in the easiest way possible.

Personally, one of the reasons we have some of the best medical professionals in the world is because we allow IMG's to enter - the environment is more competitive and you've got to be a better doctor to get a job. That's good, and I feel safer crashing my car knowing that I may have an IMG treating me that's spent 10 years trying to get here, did 2 residencies (one in his country, one in ours), and is thrilled to be there and ready to do the best job he can.

Okay, I'm going to enter the fray again.

Superoxide brought up an interesting point. If you're not a Canadian citizen, then you just don't get accepted to a Canadian medical school/residency, and that's just the way it works. Canada is serving it's own citizens first. Many other nations have similar admissions policies. Notice how NOBODY gets upset at the Canadians (or anyone else) for being so exclusive; after all - it's only the Americans that are badmouthed for even THINKING about such a discriminatory practice! Users like "Typical" and "Shahrose" (and "Shahroseamir", who is the same as Shahrose... clever tactic) never rail against Canada, the UK, or the rest of Europe (with some notable exceptions). For as much as the US does for the rest of the world, we sure are a bunch of villains anytime we have to put our own people first.

Roy7 has another good point. The US gives everyone the chance to be the best doctor that they can be... except that they actually DON'T. I point again to my superior test scores and grades. I watched who was-and-wasn't accepted at the schools that I applied to. I knew a lot of them personally. I knew their academic records. I was a better applicant. I was white, and they weren't. After all, AnyState Medical College gets a big government package of money for having such a diverse student body, so why WOULD they accept a better-qualified applicant when they've already met their quota of regular-old-white-Americans? I didn't have research or volunteer experience, but I was poor and had bills to pay. I could never pay my bills on what the hospital wanted to pay me, so I found better-paying work elsewhere.
My story isn't unique either, but should anyone actually open their mouths and express their discontent, they get called "racist", "bigot", "jerk", etc. - and after that sort of public flogging, then it's all over for that person's career. Thus, the status quo goes unchallenged.

Finally, the UK learned a very painful lesson this year. Her majesty let in the wrong sort of "doctors", and ended up with a few more explosions and a handful of dead countrymen. So much for "do no harm". There's a news story on BBC.com about how that the UK is now changing it's policies to emplace restrictions on the numbers of foreign-born-and-educated doctors. Oh, those bigots ! Trying to protect themselves ! How dare they !

Is it any wonder why some people say that there's a problem with the current system? - and I'm from a foreign school MYSELF ! I really must have thought long and hard about this issue before opening my mouth. Like I said, I'm not unique, I know so many American students from my tiny Caribbean school with stellar MCAT scores and GPAs, and they all tell the same story - "No idea why I didn't get in. I did everything they told me to do." Don't tell me that these people won't be the best docs that they can be.

I'm an FMG. I worked hard at my non-prestigious school for my solid STEP 1 score. I proved once again that I have what it takes, even when the powers-that-be told me that I wasn't good enough. I don't get upset when a better applicant takes my spot. I do get upset when a not-as-good applicant takes my spot because of some abstract quota set up for whatever rea$on.

why is everyone so concerned about how much time people get for the step? life isnt fair, and if you want to correct it, I would much rather hope you channel that energy to something more relevant like why there isnt clean drinking water in many parts of the world, than an IMG getting 9 months to study for step 1. As far as people saying they got a perfect score on MCAT and such and such, who cares. Completely useless thread.

RustedFox.... I heard that students form Caribbean islands are also complaining that foreigers from other coutries are coming their country and snatching away opportunities from local students.... Did you hear anything about it.?
What cracks me is that you are doing exactly the same what you are blamming all IMGs for..............:laugh:

I'm an FMG. .....I do get upset when a not-as-good applicant takes my spot because of some abstract quota set up for whatever rea$on.

So if another white individual took your spot, you wouldn't be upset but if someone other than a white person took your spot you would be upset?

Shah makes a good point: as a FMG you are trying to take my spot in the residency work force. Same as an IMG wanting a residency position. I find it hilarious that the rules don't apply to you but do to others.

*Slaps forehead* If Shah can't find the logic flaw intrinsic in his statement, then I don't know what else to say.

No, I don't care what the race/ethnicity of the applicant is who takes my spot, as long as they're a better applicant, and they speak English. Re-read my above post until you understand this fact. I'm not a bigot. I believe in standardized test scores and statistics. They're the only non-subjective measures that we have of someone's innate capabilities. I don't believe in quotas and kickbacks. Undergraduate schools around the US pride themselves on their "need-blind admissions policies", so that everyone is considered equal, regardless of calculated financial need. Why not level the playing field even more, and have a race-blind admissions policy? I mean, that'd be fair, right? I'm all for it.

This was never initially about race, it was about nationality.

I'm done with this topic. I have far better things to do.

why is everyone so concerned about how much time people get for the step? life isnt fair, and if you want to correct it, I would much rather hope you channel that energy to something more relevant like why there isnt clean drinking water in many parts of the world, than an IMG getting 9 months to study for step 1. As far as people saying they got a perfect score on MCAT and such and such, who cares. Completely useless thread.

i agree. completely useless thread.

might as well start up a thread bitchin' about how long ppl prepare for mcats.

lol @ this discussion.

I took about 6 months, the first 4 month studying 2-4 hours a day on top of class studying and the last 2 months of dedicated boards studying 8-10 hours/day/5 days/week. Mainly cuz I'm a forgetfull dumb arse and need more time to get the same result as others.

I took about 6 months, the first 4 month studying 2-4 hours a day on top of class studying and the last 2 months of dedicated boards studying 8-10 hours/day/5 days/week. Mainly cuz I'm a forgetfull dumb arse and need more time to get the same result as others.

haha THANK you longdong! Haven't checked this is a while, but WOW :hijacked:

So, the last 2 months, were you not in school anymore? Or did you study less for classes/stop sleeping?

ps. Go go racial profiling! D*mn I miss carrying my toothpaste, lotion, and water bottle (<$6) onto the plane. Seriously.:cry:

haha THANK you longdong! Haven't checked this is a while, but WOW :hijacked:

So, the last 2 months, were you not in school anymore? Or did you study less for classes/stop sleeping?

ps. Go go racial profiling! D*mn I miss carrying my toothpaste, lotion, and water bottle (<$6) onto the plane. Seriously.:cry:

Yes, last 2 months was out of school. But in retrospect I should of spent those 2 months trying to get published instead, cuz the cbse (or something like that) predicted 245. With a 240+ boards and being published I think I could of got more interviews then those extra 14 points got me.

Like I said, I'm against foreigners coming to my house and taking my bread. If every US med. student was given 4 month to study, we could pretty much make the boards irrelevant since everyone would get really high scores. And in response to the notion that we need FMGs to make the US medical system work, we've recently increased admissions here in the states so that we need less of your...ahem "assistance".

Facts
FMGs only get match positions after US Med grads match.
If you want to be a home boy, get into a US school.
If you are incapable of that, dont complain.

As for your house, the only person in your house is you and your family.
USA is not your house, its your country.All the 'BREAD' in USA is not your bread.He who works his A off here, gets his bread.

Its incredible, losers start bitchin about legal IMGs, who are here on regulated visas by the US government, as there is a HUGE shortage of doctors here.

Probably this poster, could not even match in reservation!!

So now you are against CAPABLE people taking residencies?
But in favor of INCAPABLE people ousting legal FMGs?

Finally, the UK learned a very painful lesson this year. Her majesty let in the wrong sort of "doctors", and ended up with a few more explosions and a handful of dead countrymen. So much for "do no harm". There's a news story on BBC.com about how that the UK is now changing it's policies to emplace restrictions on the numbers of foreign-born-and-educated doctors. Oh, those bigots ! Trying to protect themselves ! How dare they !

Ah, we don't need a Himmler here dude:thumbdown: