And so it begins-Baylor's new "hybrid" DPT program will start in 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slow motion is excellent for neuromotor following neurological injury. Use auditory cues and show the patient how they are moving so they can think about foot placement as they do it.

Sports running from ortho pain or msk injury is different rehab compared to a neuromotor approach and relearning progression
But you were talking about runners...

Members don't see this ad.

But you were talking about runners...

K. Runner form is largely due to habit and repetition. Pain or injury may change that form. Retraining still applies although the retraining may be based on form correction due to compensation from the initial injury.

Similar principles of repetition and retraining are prevalent within multiple populations and conditions. Shouldve worded better

Last edited:
K. Runner form is largely due to habit and repetition. Pain or injury may change that form. Retraining still applies although the retraining may be based on form correction due to compensation from the initial injury.

Similar principles of repetition and retraining are prevalent within multiple populations and conditions. Shouldve worded better

Maybe I'm not being direct enough.

I'm not asking about the proposed benefits of slow-motion running analysis. I know how people often use it in the clinic.

You said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here) something to the effect of the following: slow motion analysis lets you more precisely identify movement dysfunction that contributes to pain in your patients who are runners.

I was asking you to defend your position. Preferably with data.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm not being direct enough.

I'm not asking about the proposed benefits of slow-motion running analysis. I know how people often use it in the clinic.

You said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here) something to the effect of the following: slow motion analysis lets you more precisely identify movement dysfunction that contributes to pain in your patients who are runners.

I was asking you to defend your position. Preferably with data.

What does (or do) the data show on running analysis? Is there solid research to show its effectiveness? I think sometimes we get enamored with technology and assume it makes a difference in the clinic.

What does (or do) the data show on running analysis? Is there solid research to show its effectiveness? I think sometimes we get enamored with technology and assume it makes a difference in the clinic.
My thoughts on that are that sometimes runners have pain from a million little insults. If you have addressed feet, flexibility, footwear, and training habits but they are still having symptoms, it would make sense that you might see something on slow mo that you can't see with the naked eye. It would be a cool tool to have but I would guess that I wouldn't use it very often.

It would be a cool tool to have but I would guess that I wouldn't use it very often.

Until it demonstrates its effectiveness in the literature, then it will be just a "cool tool." Most of these "cool tools" eventually gather dust like exercise equipment in a basement. They look great at the show, but they take too much time to learn, to set up, to use, and to maintain. They are often outmoded as soon as they are released.

that's true but some have a higher likelihood of being beneficial than others. If you see a lot of runners and live in a larger community, I can see the value of one of those devices. But, for the most part, it is a bell and/or whistle that would be of only marginal use to me in my town of 5300 people.

I'm a product of a "hybrid" program and welcome the addition of more programs. There are so many non-traditional candidates out there that would make great PTs but just cannot attend a regular program for whatever reason and never become PTs.
My class was composed of seasoned trainers, massage therapists, ATC, and PTAs. We met 2 weekends a month for hands on lab, cadaver dissection, practical testing, regular testing, and some lectures. Nobody in my class had trouble with the board exam. And yes, it takes a certain type of person to attend a hybrid program, a more mature and motivated student. To be honest, our PT skills were much better than the traditional students which I noticed during some blended lab time.

The "hybrid" programs will continue to be filled by mostly non-traditional students and will do just fine.
What hybrid program did you attend?