MD Anatomy test and studying methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marifercazaresc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just took my second partial anatomy test and I horribly failed. I'm really confused, I spent a whole week studying for the exam, made a review and read my book. I feel like I study really hard but I don't see my expected results on the test. I barely passed my first anatomy test, with 72 (passing grade is 70) and in this one I got a 40. I feel completely awful, I'm really ashamed of my grade. Im tired of feeling that I spend a lot of time studying and never really seeing good results. How can I study better? How can I retain more information?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you do any sort of practice questions? There are lots of great resources available, and definitely something you should be doing. I personally mostly used gray's and BRS (because my roommate bought the books and let me mooch...) but there are others available. Places like UMich also have free questions online (I found some sections better than others): University of Michigan Medical School - Practice Questions

Also, does your exam have a lab practical component? Is there someone who can go into lab with you and help you study?

Your study methods right now are 100% passive, meaning you just look at material without using your brain. You might think you “know” something because you’ve read it so many times, when in reality you just “recognize” it when you see it.

I agree with what was said above. Practice questions are the best way to engage the active learning part of your brain, which is how you’ll need to access the knowledge in a testing situation. I would also recommend Anki, especially for anatomy.

If you’re studying from cadavers, I would recommend getting a study buddy and quizzing each other. We used to make a bag filled with pieces of paper, each had a different structure written on it. We’d have one person draw a paper from the bag, go find that structure on a body, and point to it/hold it up, then the other person had to identify the structure. Then you switch roles.

Reactions: 2 users
My current Anatomy class is purely theoretical, there is no lab until next semestr
Do you do any sort of practice questions? There are lots of great resources available, and definitely something you should be doing. I personally mostly used gray's and BRS (because my roommate bought the books and let me mooch...) but there are others available. Places like UMich also have free questions online (I found some sections better than others): University of Michigan Medical School - Practice Questions

Also, does your exam have a lab practical component? Is there someone who can go into lab with you and help you study?
My current anatomy class is purely theoretical, there is no lab until next semester.
Thank you for the resources!

Your study methods right now are 100% passive, meaning you just look at material without using your brain. You might think you “know” something because you’ve read it so many times, when in reality you just “recognize” it when you see it.

I agree with what was said above. Practice questions are the best way to engage the active learning part of your brain, which is how you’ll need to access the knowledge in a testing situation. I would also recommend Anki, especially for anatomy.

If you’re studying from cadavers, I would recommend getting a study buddy and quizzing each other. We used to make a bag filled with pieces of paper, each had a different structure written on it. We’d have one person draw a paper from the bag, go find that structure on a body, and point to it/hold it up, then the other person had to identify the structure. Then you switch roles.
Thank you! I'll use practice questions.
My current course has no lab visits until next semester.

Hello everyone, I just took my second partial anatomy test and I horribly failed. I'm really confused, I spent a whole week studying for the exam, made a review and read my book. I feel like I study really hard but I don't see my expected results on the test. I barely passed my first anatomy test, with 72 (passing grade is 70) and in this one I got a 40. I feel completely awful, I'm really ashamed of my grade. Im tired of feeling that I spend a lot of time studying and never really seeing good results. How can I study better? How can I retain more information?

Get into the lab and spend more time with that cadaver!

Reactions: 1 user