An Odd Birth Defect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could be photoshopped but this baby too should never have seen the light of day, tragic. I guess it's not a big deal since Jean Grey disintegrated it anyway

Now I can't go to sleep now. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
Could be photoshopped but this baby too should never have seen the light of day, tragic. I guess it's not a big deal since Jean Grey disintegrated it anyway
its real. it is holoprosencephaly, or a SHH mutation.

holoprosencephaly I think....Its a possible feature of trisomy 13

This makes me sad.

prazmatic,

I have seen that before. You missed the point of my post. The oddness of the birth defect was the disfigurement of the face. I have a deep interest in birth defects just so you know. I posted the link because I have not seen a birth defect before where the eyes are below the nose.

This is not a thread about showing off which birth defect is the worst.

jonathon said:
The oddness of the birth defect was the disfigurement of the face. I have a deep interest in birth defects just so you know. I posted the link because I have not seen a birth defect before where the eyes are below the nose.

Eh, that's just a little cyclopia. The appendage above the eyes is a proboscis, which isn't a true nose. AFAIK it's formed from the anterosuperior part of the nasal cavity when the normal medial part of the nose is developmentally absent.

There's a nice little summary of holoprosencephaly here.

"The incidence is about to 6-12:10,000 among live born but 40:10,000 in embryos. Half of these are associated with trisomy 13. The sex distribution shows a female predominance."

Havarti666 said:
Eh, that's just a little cyclopia. The appendage above the eyes is a proboscis, which isn't a true nose. AFAIK it's formed from the anterosuperior part of the nasal cavity when the normal medial part of the nose is developmentally absent.

There's a nice little summary of holoprosencephaly here.

"The incidence is about to 6-12:10,000 among live born but 40:10,000 in embryos. Half of these are associated with trisomy 13. The sex distribution shows a female predominance."

Good g-d.