An away at Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NebelDO

future surgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to put this up and see if anyone has done a rotation there. I would like to here some experiences. Also, Do they charge a fee for applying for a rotation, there website did not say.Being a DO student interested in Urology, I know its a long shot matching there but I think I would like to go up there next year and learn more about the field and hopefully meet some people and get some LOR's.
if anyone has had any experiences there, I would like to here them

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Which Mayo?? There are three.

He said "up there", so I assume Minnesota.

Mayo Rochester
sorry

I did an away month in 2003 at Mayo rochester in pathology. It didn't cost anything, and what I also liked about it was that you could apply well in advance,whereas other away rotations you often have to wait until May or so when the local students have already finished their schedules. There is an application which requires the usual rigamarole of health paperwork, transcripts, reference letter, etc.

They don't provide housing, but you can stay at the Kahler hotel or another hotel for a drastically reduced rate (I think <$20 per day) if you stay for the month. It is pretty well organized, they take care of you pretty well. You do have to fill out a few surveys when you finish.

Make sure you bring nice clothes - no white coats, no scrubs unless you are in an appropriate area.

Does Mayo require undergraduate transcripts for rotations?

no undergrad just your med school transcripts

i'm currently here on an away in the emergency department... having a fantastic time. no charge to apply, though they did seem to require a more in depth application (e.g. letter of rec, personal statement, etc...) than others did.

almost all of the the attendings... er, consultants... are really laid back, and the ancillary staff is really nice and helpful. i'd recommend coming up here to anyone who thinks about it.

oh, and being in the ed is wonderful for another reason - i get scrubs & a white coat... suits only if i go downtown (which is never)... d=)

my $.02
-t

yaah said:
They don't provide housing, but you can stay at the Kahler hotel or another hotel for a drastically reduced rate (I think <$20 per day) if you stay for the month. It is pretty well organized, they take care of you pretty well. You do have to fill out a few surveys when you finish.

From Mayo visiting clerkship FAQ:
Does Mayo Clinic provide housing?
Mayo Clinic does not provide housing. However, your confirmation letter will include information on student housing, including cost and location. Housing at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., costs approximately $120/week.

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/clerk-faq.html

Depending on when you want to go you have to apply like 6 mo in advance!