AMSSM vs AOASM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some questions...
So im a DO who did ACGME training for residency and fellowship.
I teach at a FM residency who offers dual certifications. We commonly feed into an ACGME fellowship.

1. Am i correct in saying you need ABFM certification to get the CAQSM?

2. Could an ACOFP boarded doc go to an ACGME fellowship, then take the AOASM boards and get the osteopathic CAQ? I tried to ascertain from the AOASM website but couldnt find it. I dont see the AOA turning away someone willing to give them money.

I have no desire to do this but in counseling residents im suggesting pursue ABFM certification now and want to make sure my assertions are correct before i upset our ACOFP faculty.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

One of the requirements listed on the AOASM website before taking the CAQ exam:

Satisfactorily complete a one-year AOA- or ACGME-approved fellowship in Sports Medicine as shown by a copy of a sports medicine certificate and letter of recommendation from the program director. After you complete fellowship training, you have a six-year eligibility window to take the Sports Medicine certification exam.

So, yes.

One of the requirements listed on the AOASM website before taking the CAQ exam:

Satisfactorily complete a one-year AOA- or ACGME-approved fellowship in Sports Medicine as shown by a copy of a sports medicine certificate and letter of recommendation from the program director. After you complete fellowship training, you have a six-year eligibility window to take the Sports Medicine certification exam.

So, yes.

Exactly what i was i was looking for. Thanks

You betcha. Have fun teaching!