amputation to treat crps of the leg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Article doesn’t describe any treatments leading up to this. Surprised she could find a surgeon to perform a bka for crps. Had djd and fibro prior to the accident. Extreme and not standard of care.

Members don't see this ad.

Great. sounds like a setup for Phantom limb pain

Reactions: 2 users
Amputation is on the treatment algorithm for intractable CRPS with data for support

Even at some place in Cleveland

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this as a resident. BKA on one side then the CRPS "spread" to the other side and another BKA.... terrible

Amputation is on the treatment algorithm for intractable CRPS with data for support

Even at some place in Cleveland
Is a real Bad idea

Reactions: 3 users
Whoa! Nothing quite like the appeal to emotion of a pt telling you to "take the leg" in an attempt at convincing you they hurt!

Reactions: 1 user
Is a real Bad idea

Yeah, that's generally what I counsel folks, but there are data to support it.

Fortunately I have not yet had to suggest it to a patient or felt it warranted if they asked. My thought process about it is that if local anesthetic helps temporarily, I will support it if they have failed multiple other reasonable options, are medically appropriate, and psychiatrically cleared for it, but I really hope I'm never in that position to have to advocate for it. If it still hurts despite a dense peripheral nerve block, then I suspect it's not a peripherally mediated issue and amputation is high risk for more badness, although I have not reviewed any data about that.

Yep I have seen post amputee for CRPS and guess what? Still hurts. That's horrifying enough that I don't care what the supporting data is. We can't take peoples limbs off for a "maybe" outcome.

Reactions: 1 users
My anecdotal experience is this **** don't work since the pathology is higher up.

What would the incidence of CRPS at the area of the residual limb/stump site? I am talking about separate incidence from phantom pain. I would guess the incidence of residual post amputation pain of some type has to be approaching 100%?

CRPS, then amputation, then patient, “I have stump and phantom pain worse than the CRPS!”

A fool’s errand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait til that stump neuroma grows too.

I inherited a patient with history of work related accident that lead to CRPS, she OD'd on pain meds is now a R AKA and left BKA as a result with....... PHANTOM limb and multiple other issues. Just awful

I knew someone with pretty bad CRPS, was the absolute strangest thing. She was considering amputation for QOL, but given that it only works about 50% of the time she said screw it, I'll just deal with the pain.

Colleague came to me and asked about any new treatment for recalcitrant CRPS. I have not seen the patient, nor examined any records, but was told he tried "everything" including two separate stim trials (not sure if implanted). Patient now seeking AKA of his lower limb by surgeon.

Assuming traditional treatment options have been entertained (analgesics, desensitization therapy, LSB, SCS...) is there anything new to consider?

I vaguely recall someone using phenoxybenzamine for cold CRPS. Also heard of someone using IVIG. Any of these valid options? Keep in mind, I haven't seen the patient.

Colleague came to me and asked about any new treatment for recalcitrant CRPS. I have not seen the patient, nor examined any records, but was told he tried "everything" including two separate stim trials (not sure if implanted). Patient now seeking AKA of his lower limb by surgeon.

Assuming traditional treatment options have been entertained (analgesics, desensitization therapy, LSB, SCS...) is there anything new to consider?

I vaguely recall someone using phenoxybenzamine for cold CRPS. Also heard of someone using IVIG. Any of these valid options? Keep in mind, I haven't seen the patient.

If everything above has been tried...maybe a trial of lidocaine or ketamine infusions, and consider nucynta or methadone therapy.

Some vascular AKA/BKA trainwrecks did best when transitioned to methadone

Have they tried ketamine infusions, medical marijuana? Wouldn’t be surprised if THC helped CRPS

I assumed that infusion therapy, plus the aforementioned analgesics, would have been tried, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Bisphosphonate? I’d put a pump in before amputation

Bisphosphonate? I’d put a pump in before amputation
I'll have to ask about the bisphosphonate.

Haven't done pumps since fellowship. Would Prialt be a good medication for CRPS? I don't recall the types of pain it is recommended for.

Did the patient try LDN?

Two stim trials, does that mean traditional and DRG? Peripheral nerve stimulator?

Also make sure no vascular problems in the leg. I saw a very pissed off patient whose leg pain turned to out to be ischemic and his previous pain doc and orthopedic surgeon missed it.

did one of these (left below shoulder) on a young woman in fellowship after a dog bite 20+ years ago....i couldnt believe the attendings allowed it

I would be very wary of amputation for CRPS as it could morph into an awful phantom limb pain

Two stim trials, does that mean traditional and DRG? Peripheral nerve stimulator?

Also make sure no vascular problems in the leg. I saw a very pissed off patient whose leg pain turned to out to be ischemic and his previous pain doc and orthopedic surgeon missed it.

I had the same question about DRG vs traditional vs PNS. Don't know.

Good comments and recs so far. I'm going to see if he found any of this info in the record review.

I have a patient who had a BKA for CRPS, it was a lifesaver literally. He had tried all the treatments mentioned above. He does very well now on Cymbalta and Lyrica for some phantom limb symptoms mostly at night.

I had a patient with CRPS, very young. failed pretty everything, couldn't tolerate SCS trial. Ended up with BKA at local academic center, doing fantastic so far. Surprised they went ahead at an academic place, and more surprised in their notes they noted whatever studies that showed >50% of patients getting amputation for CRPS were happy with the outcomes. I should have looked up that study

Nice meta-analysis
Surgical data is quite good for it, especially in the better studies.
1703099098207.png

I would suggest if it is a distal extremity, consider a nerve block or nerve block catheter at the proximal nerves/plexus. If their pain/other function improves greatly, I would suggest this is more a peripherally generated state where amputation and removal of the noxious stimulus may help. If not, then an amputation may help with other things like open wounds/dressing/etc but not necessarily pain.

If they do want an amputation, would suggest they do it at center where they're skilled at doing the nerve cuffing/TMR/etc to help reduce amputation related pain issues.

Ziconotide trial is reasonable to preserve the limb but it can be a tricky drug.

I’ve seen it work a few times - usually with significant dystrophic changes. One guys ankle was turned in 90 degrees.

A lot anecdotal cases. I never think of it as a treatment option though did have 1 patient with a BKA for CRPS of his ankle that took his pain away completely. I had recommended against it. He lost 100 lb as he was then able to work out with a prosthesis which in turn helped the rest of his pain in other places. He does have some phantom pain that is well managed with medications.

Reactions: 1 user
Replace one difficult pain syndrome with another, no thank you

Nice meta-analysis
Surgical data is quite good for it, especially in the better studies.
View attachment 379983

I would suggest if it is a distal extremity, consider a nerve block or nerve block catheter at the proximal nerves/plexus. If their pain/other function improves greatly, I would suggest this is more a peripherally generated state where amputation and removal of the noxious stimulus may help. If not, then an amputation may help with other things like open wounds/dressing/etc but not necessarily pain.

If they do want an amputation, would suggest they do it at center where they're skilled at doing the nerve cuffing/TMR/etc to help reduce amputation related pain issues.

Ziconotide trial is reasonable to preserve the limb but it can be a tricky drug.
Interesting, thanks. I'll pass it on.

One thing I did note was that this patient was sent to a local surgeon who was considering it, not an academic center which we do have one nearby.