Amiodarone or Lidocaine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadMack

Patient before Ego
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer during codes?

Members don't see this ad.

Which one do you prefer during codes?

I think amiodarone probably is better, although much of the research is manufacturer sponsored and I honestly wonder what we will be doing in 20-50 years.

Lidocaine really has very little good research behind its initial use.

There are probably better interventions then an antiarrythmic in my opinion, good airway and early defibrillation are much more important.

Everything the AHA is now releasing is showing there is no difference is code outcomes between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think amiodarone probably is better, although much of the research is manufacturer sponsored and I honestly wonder what we will be doing in 20-50 years.

Lidocaine really has very little good research behind its initial use.

There are probably better interventions then an antiarrythmic in my opinion, good airway and early defibrillation are much more important.

Defib, bystander CPR + hypothermia are the only things that alter survival.

Defib, bystander CPR + hypothermia are the only things that alter survival.

Alter or improve? :)

There are a myriad of things that alter and improve survival, however, EMS research is pretty poor overall.

Neither probably does much. One study showed amio had a higher % of ROS, no change in neurologically intact discharge from hospital.