American Society of Anesthesiologists Calls for Removal of Divisive Anti-Physician Goal from NAM Clinician Well-Being Collaborative Document

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally someone called out that dumb "working at the top of your license" stupid phrase. How dumb is that phrase? Obviously made up by some insecure nurse with an inferiority complex

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally someone called out that dumb "working at the top of your license" stupid phrase. How dumb is that phrase? Obviously made up by some insecure nurse with an inferiority complex

What IS top of a nursing license or even NP license? They can switch fields like outfits. So with every switch, they can practice as well as a junior/senior resident?

Reactions: 6 users
So the top of the license of a mid-level is the equivalent of a physician? I still fail to understand what that term means apart from being a buzzword

Reactions: 1 users
Top of license for physicians means all specialties can do everything. Family medicine can do surgeries etc. That is how absurd the “top of license” phrase is. It is hospital privileging that prevents a pediatrician from doing a liver transplant. However, nursing leaders and CEOs insist that their NPs practice at the “top of their license” while putting appropriate barriers in place for physicians.

I’m glad to see this being addressed.

Reactions: 12 users
Top of license for physicians means all specialties can do everything. Family medicine can do surgeries etc. That is how absurd the “top of license” phrase is. It is hospital privileging that prevents a pediatrician from doing a liver transplant. However, nursing leaders and CEOs insist that their NPs practice at the “top of their license” while putting appropriate barriers in place for physicians.

I’m glad to see this being addressed.
It really angers me to hear that phrase " working at the top of your license" because it means absolutely nothing and it's sole purpose is for nefarious reasons. And it is more infuriating when other docs used the word thinking it means something. I had a chief of anesthesia used that term during a meeting I was at once and I dressed him down. I accused him of sleeping with suzy at the meeting.

Reactions: 5 users
It means you're max'ed out at baseline. It's an admission of deficiency. As if working at the 'top of you license' is a good thing. When I get sick I want someone working at the 'middle' of their license so they can go deep when they need to...

Reactions: 9 users
So as near as I can tell, practicing at the "top of your license" just means doing anything and everything you are legally allowed to do, regardless of competency?

Imagine how idiotic it would be to apply the same "top of your license" ideology across the board.

Better fire Steph Curry because you can hire someone minimum wage who is legally able to do the exact same thing (shoot a basketball).

Of course, it would be foolish to do that because you would be losing actual NBA games, and not merely debilitating/losing human life.

Reactions: 6 users