American PhD Student Applying to APPIC Site in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elizmcc1992

Reaction score
Hello, I'm an American PhD student in school psychology applying for an internship through APPIC. I have applied to a school district in Canada, but I'm not sure which visa would be appropriate for me, given I will not have my degree but will not be a student, technically (although I'll still be enrolled at my university in the US). I haven't been able to get many answers online and the Canadian site wants to know I'll be eligible for a visa before they offer me a position. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to hear some insight on this too. What does it look like for applicants in the US to apply to Canadian sites? Can they get licensed in Canada after?

I'm not doing a program in school psych but have this same question for applying to a few clinical predoctoral internship sites in Canada. How does it affect getting a postdoc in the US afterward?

I found some related past threads with some tidbits of information:

I also found this doc which has sections about students experiences applying to the US from Canada (helpful though it does not have info about the reverse situation):