AMEDD Army/Air National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azdevil21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get come some updated clarification on the Air/Army NG AMEDD program. From what I've heard via SDN is that it's possible to sign up without taking the stipend and only owe through my Residency. During that time I would drill through medical school and residency. I'm in AZ which offers state tuition assistance. I feel like this is a little to good to be true, is there anything I'm missing? The recruiters that I've talked to are not the greatest and I actually haven't been able to nail down an Air Guard recruiter. Is there anyone that's used this program that can offer any advice? It's greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get come some updated clarification on the Air/Army NG AMEDD program. From what I've heard via SDN is that it's possible to sign up without taking the stipend and only owe through my Residency. During that time I would drill through medical school and residency. I'm in AZ which offers state tuition assistance. I feel like this is a little to good to be true, is there anything I'm missing? The recruiters that I've talked to are not the greatest and I actually haven't been able to nail down an Air Guard recruiter. Is there anyone that's used this program that can offer any advice? It's greatly appreciated.
Specifically which tuition assistance program? Link?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick reply, here is the link. I'm in AZ!

State Tuition Assistance | National Guard
It says the program is not funded, so be careful if that's the reason you want to do this. Don't sign the gi select reserve paperwork as an officer unless you want 6 more years additional to any other obligation. Standard officer commission is 6+2 iirc with no incentives so you can technically be out by the end of residency

Hey sb247, thanks for the info. This is where I got the basics along with some information from my recruiter. Army National Guard Physicians
I was under the impression I could use the MGI-Bill with no addition time, is that incorrect? The information online is a little confusing, so I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you again.

Hey sb247, thanks for the info. This is where I got the basics along with some information from my recruiter. Army National Guard Physicians
I was under the impression I could use the MGI-Bill with no addition time, is that incorrect? The information online is a little confusing, so I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you again.
the wording is quite clear, for officers to take the gi bill they have to sign on for an additional 6 years

How would this apply to someone who is prior service?

You can join the Army NG as a medical student without any bonuses and consequently without any additional obligation. Personally, taking this route followed by STRAP + HPLRP is, in my opinion, the best route for military medicine at the moment. I've heard mixed answers on what is available through the Air NG and whether they are willing to take medical students, the Air NG seems to leave a lot more decision making at the local level whereas the Army seems to be more federally driven but I saw this based on casual observation.

I personally disregarded the MGIB. The post-9/11 GI Bill is so much better, I'd rather hold out for the chance to receive it if I stick around long enough to deploy.

Why STRAP over MDSSP? What if I hit 20 before paying everything back?

MDSSP commits you to the military for 4 years of medical school, 3-7 years of residency, and 8 years of payback for less than $100k. Not worth it.