AMCAS Race/Ethnicity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am a white male preparing for a potential reapplication next cycle. I am actually partly Hispanic, but don’t really identify with that part of my family. So I only indicated white on my past application. I have been advised by some to indicate my Hispanic ethnicity on a future application to improve my chances. While this wouldn’t be lying, I am afraid the schools to which I am reapplying would see this change and think that I am lying. Would it look bad to make this change in a future application cycle?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure anyone will accuse you of lying - this is really an issue of self-identification. If you have a Latin surname, or would easily pass as Latino (what others see), you might identify if for no other reason than to mitigate risk of unconscious bias. Otherwise, I'm not sure there is a clear answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a white male preparing for a potential reapplication next cycle. I am actually partly Hispanic, but don’t really identify with that part of my family. So I only indicated white on my past application. I have been advised by some to indicate my Hispanic ethnicity on a future application to improve my chances. While this wouldn’t be lying, I am afraid the schools to which I am reapplying would see this change and think that I am lying. Would it look bad to make this change in a future application cycle?

— Experts please respond to this post —
How much partly Hispanic?

Do you have evidence of service to Hispanic communities?

Spanish language skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.