AMCAS character count issue is making me bang my head against the wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
L

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
have you tried turning AMCAS off and then back on

Reactions: 1 user
have you tried turning AMCAS off and then back on
Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or helpful... if you're referring to logging out of AMCAS and then logging back in again, then yes, I have already tried that repeatedly to no avail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that some word processors undercount the number of characters.

I have heard that some word processors undercount the number of characters.
I hear what you're saying but in this case it seems like AMCAS is the ONLY word processor that is different. Every single word processor I have used is giving me the exact same character count except for AMCAS, so logic states that if there is a problem, it is with AMCAS.

1) make sure you have replaced your paragraph marks with manual line feed
2) Instead of banging your head against the way, remove 12 characters.
3) you should easily be able to reduce by 1%
GONNIF thanks so much- great to see you. what do you mean exactly by replacing paragraph marks with manual line feed? sorry I'm not terribly tech savvy haha. and if that doesn't work, what's the underlying issue? is it with the way I'm typing? Thanks!

I hear what you're saying but in this case it seems like AMCAS is the ONLY word processor that is different. Every single word processor I have used is giving me the exact same character count except for AMCAS, so logic states that if there is a problem, it is with AMCAS.
Check for any extra spaces, maybe remove any indentations?

I copy and pasted my PS from Word to AMCAS right now and it's giving me the same character count.

Check for any extra spaces, maybe remove any indentations?

I copy and pasted my PS from Word to AMCAS right now and it's giving me the same character count.
Did you have paragraphs? When I separated my paragraphs I hit enter once, but I didn't hit indent/tab, so all paragraphs start with the same alignment. but if I understand correctly each "enter" should only take up 1 character. does it take up more in AMCAS?

Did you have paragraphs? When I separated my paragraphs I hit enter once, but I didn't hit indent/tab, so all paragraphs start with the same alignment. but if I understand correctly each "enter" should only take up 1 character. does it take up more in AMCAS?

This might be your problem! No mine did not have any spaces. I just tested adding one "enter" (new paragraph) right now and it took up 2 extra characters on AMCAS.

This might be your problem! No mine did not have any spaces. I just tested adding one "enter" (new paragraph) right now and it took up 2 extra characters on AMCAS.
I think I got It fixed, thanks so much! Though my work and activities is still being weird. one tab that I have for honors and awards is being strange, as the awards are in a list format in which "enter" after competing each entry on the list, although this enter just moves to the next line, it doesn't skip a line like my paragraph format does in the personal statement. any advice for this haha