AMCAS 15 Activities & Doctorate Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShinySephiroth

Determined
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question a quick Google search didn't pull up (not in-depth): should I list my doctorate (non-BCPM) as one of my 15 activities to speak more about how it applies to my path to practicing medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Just having a doctorate alone is worth listing. The fact that it has influenced your decision to pursue medicine = bonus points

Reactions: 1 users
Just having a doctorate alone is worth listing. The fact that it has influenced your decision to pursue medicine = bonus points
So definitely list it as one of the 15, just to be clear? And thank you for the positive news - I've had people tell me that it would be a negative against me, especially it being non-BCPM (my dissertation is in analyzing business workflows and how it affects providers in their adoption of novel treatments, so it is still medically related...).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep you should list it. I don't see how obtaining the highest level of education could be negative in any way. Your degree's relevance to medicine makes it even more appealing. Don't listen to those people.

Yep you should list it. I don't see how obtaining the highest level of education could be negative in any way. Your degree's relevance to medicine makes it even more appealing. Don't listen to those people.
In thinking about it, I'm wondering if it is because I was speaking to med students in their 20s and that may have affected their thought process. They cautioned that I would:

1) Have ad comms wonder if I'm too old to reach my earning potential
2) Be looked at as a degree hunter
3) Have ad comms think that I am just wanting to become an executive with my MBA (I got one because I wanted to better understand the business side of things to be a better patient advocate) - I even had some people say to only talk about my MBA when asked!

Thank you so much for helping me. It has been a bit of a disheartening process, added on the fact that I didn't know what the pathway to medical school was and how competitive it was, so my uGPA is not very competitive. :/

1) Have ad comms wonder if I'm too old to reach my earning potential
Adcoms just wants students who will benefit society with their degree(s), whether it be practicing medicine, going into academic medicine, or entering the administative side of healthcare.

2) Be looked at as a degree hunter
Having one 1 PhD hardly makes you look like a degree hunter. There are plenty of people in my class that have PhDs, multiple master's, or come from other fields of healthcare (PharmD, RN, etc.) It boils down to how you present yourself on paper and in interviews.

3) Have ad comms think that I am just wanting to become an executive with my MBA (I got one because I wanted to better understand the business side of things to be a better patient advocate) - I even had some people say to only talk about my MBA when asked!
Again it boils down to how you present yourself on your application. Also adcoms knows that not every student will become clinicians. This is why some schools offer dual degrees (MD/DO-PHD/MBA). Use your degree to supplement your desire to practice medicine and show you have a better understanding of what happens behind-the-scenes in healthcare.

Don't overthink it. Your PhD will only benefit you at this point and it shows maturity compared to those 20 year olds you've talk to.

Adcoms just wants students who will benefit society with their degree(s), whether it be practicing medicine, going into academic medicine, or entering the administative side of healthcare.

Having one 1 PhD hardly makes you look like a degree hunter. There are plenty of people in my class that have PhDs, multiple master's, or come from other fields of healthcare (PharmD, RN, etc.) It boils down to how you present yourself on paper and in interviews.

Again it boils down to how you present yourself on your application. Also adcoms knows that not every student will become clinicians. This is why some schools offer dual degrees (MD/DO-PHD/MBA). Use your degree to supplement your desire to practice medicine and show you have a better understanding of what happens behind-the-scenes in healthcare.

Don't overthink it. Your PhD will only benefit you at this point and it shows maturity compared to those 20 year olds you've talk to.
Thank you so very much. I wish I could convey to you how much your words mean to me as I approach my long awaited time to apply. Your future patients are going to be very lucky to have someone who is so communicative and helpful, as well as insightful!

• Care
Absolutely! You're welcome and best of luck!