AMC Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoaKoa7

Auburn c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was hoping to do an externship on the neurology service at AMC in New York next fall (2016). Has anyone had an experience there that they could share with me? Also, how far in advance do I have to submit dates in order to get housing? The way the scheduling works right now, I may not know my availability for sure until February... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I completed an externship November 2015 with the AMC Internal Medicine service. I applied maybe 5-6 months ahead of time and heard back with an approval within a month. I knew my exact availability so I was able to fill in their application with specific dates. I think you should definitely apply once you get your availability. If anything, schedule the externship before and make your school work around it for you. Equine students often have to do similarly since they get their equine externships done in the summer (most of them at least) for experience and LOR/jobs/internships.

I loved my externship and applied thru the Match program for internship with AMC! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience with them as well!