AMA: OMS Internship Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oms321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a first year intern at JPS – specializing in OMS. Let me know if you have any questions about the application and interview process. If I could do the application process over again, I would get more organized from the beginning. It’s too late to start researching who to contact, what to submit, and when everything is due once you’ve found you didn’t make the match. Do all the research before the match so you know what to do if you need to look for an internship.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a D0 starting dental school fall of 2018, when is the best time to look into specialties? Are there any info session on them during first and second years? What is the point of doing GPR or AEGD?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am now D3 and planning to apply for OMS residency next cycle. My backup plan is to do internship. Many ppl said that the OMS programs will send internship program email to the applicants who are not matched. I am wondering if that is still true. Or should I be proactive and apply right away without seeing those emails?

And from what I checked, many internship programs require letter of recommendation. But if we had one writen for OMS residency in PASS system (which we are not allowed to see what they wrote.) How should we approach our program director to write new one for us for the internship application?

And how competitive the internship program is? especially the big program like MGH, Parklands, etc. Are they serious about CBSE score and GPA?

Thank you!

Some programs require letter of recs and it's good to have your student affairs office send them off to the schools you are interested in. However, if you apply too early, some schools may mis-file your application. I would recommend applying the week before match comes out so schools have your file on hand. On the flip side, you could send it early and just follow up frequently.

I’m a first year intern at JPS – specializing in OMS. Let me know if you have any questions about the application and interview process. If I could do the application process over again, I would get more organized from the beginning. It’s too late to start researching who to contact, what to submit, and when everything is due once you’ve found you didn’t make the match. Do all the research before the match so you know what to do if you need to look for an internship.
How EXACTLY does an internship increase chances of Matching on the subsequent application cycle? I’ve heard of plenty of people who did internships and did not end up matching anyways. Even two non-categorical internship years!!! People say the amount it improves your chances of matching next cycle is negligible, and that the only real value of doing one is if the oral surgery program at the place you do the internship tell you to do it to increase chances of matching AT THAT SAME program next year.

Thanks.

How EXACTLY does an internship increase chances of Matching on the subsequent application cycle? I’ve heard of plenty of people who did internships and did not end up matching anyways. Even two non-categorical internship years!!! People say the amount it improves your chances of matching next cycle is negligible, and that the only real value of doing one is if the oral surgery program at the place you do the internship tell you to do it to increase chances of matching AT THAT SAME program next year.

Thanks.

You are correct, there are many people who have done one, even two internships and did not match. However, there aren't many better ways to improve an application for the next cycle other than an internship and improving the CBSE score.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct, there are many people who have done one, even two internships and did not match. However, there aren't many better ways to improve an application for the next cycle other than an internship and improving the CBSE score.
Are you confident you’ll match into JPS next app cycle because of the internship?

Are you confident you’ll match into JPS next app cycle because of the internship?

This internship allows me to stay competitive in the application cycle. Without it, I definitely would not be better off regardless if I match or not. If you can increase your CBSE & do an internship, then that's the best way to go, but usually if youre at an internship there really isn't too much time to study and increase your score.

Reactions: 1 user
WHat are the possibilities of getting into a 4 yr program being an international that has done an internship?