AMA: I'm a second semester DPT student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jt128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am a second semester DPT student. I just wanted to post this, if anyone has questions I am open to answering anything to the best of my ability.

A couple of things about me that I think some of you might find interesting: the school I am attending pulled me off their wait list about 1.5 weeks before the start of the first semester. I also graduated with a BS in exercise science with an overall GPA of 3.5 and PTCAS calculated it to be a 3.4 so that was fun. If I can do it, so can you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also graduated with BS in exs. science... what courses do you suggest on reviewing before entering PT school? Do you think that the degree had given you an advantage? I am starting in June! Thanks :)

Also graduated with BS in ex. science... what courses do you suggest on reviewing before entering PT school? Do you think that the degree had given you an advantage? I am starting in June! Thanks :)

I graduated in 2016, so I was out of school for a little bit before getting into PT school. A&P was one of the first courses I took, probably in like 2013, so it was quite a while ago, and that was my downfall. If you haven't had anatomy or kinesiology in a long time, then I would think about studying up on that! If you don't want to take formal classes (I didn't want to) then at least review whatever you can. I'd start with muscles, origins and insertions. That was HUGE for me in my first semester. It'll definitely be really helpful to be even slightly familiar with the O's and I's of the bigger muscles.

As for the degree... some of the material we have learned is familiar, but in PT school, you're building upon that foundational knowledge. Plus, pretty much everyone in the class will have an Exercise Science or Kinesiology degree. What really has helped me so far is my practical experience having from working in a hospital and as a tech.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What did your typical week look like during your first semester?

What did your typical week look like during your first semester?

I had class Monday thru Thursday, and open anatomy lab on Friday 8-12. I had 15 credit hours, anatomy was 6 credits. I also took kinesiology, and then a couple extra classes like fundamentals of patient management, and an integrated clinical experience class.

Anatomy and Kinesiology took up A LOT of my time. Mostly anatomy, because I spent a lot of time working on muscle origins, insertions, actions and innervations. I went to open lab on pretty much every friday I could except for maybe the friday after an exam. Open labs were great, and I highly recommend you go if you can! Just spending more time looking at the cadavers or reviewing lecture materials is important.

At my school we have a pro bono clinic and a parkinsons exercise program that I wanted to volunteer at, but I felt pretty stressed out and anxious so I ended up not going to either and just going home to study more or relax. I also didn't want to stick around on campus for those things because I have a long commute to campus. There is enough time though to take for yourself and relax, but only if you manage your time and studying well. Definitely try not to procrastinate and review what you learned in class in the evening even if its for a little bit.

I had class Monday thru Thursday, and open anatomy lab on Friday 8-12. I had 15 credit hours, anatomy was 6 credits. I also took kinesiology, and then a couple extra classes like fundamentals of patient management, and an integrated clinical experience class.

Anatomy and Kinesiology took up A LOT of my time. Mostly anatomy, because I spent a lot of time working on muscle origins, insertions, actions and innervations. I went to open lab on pretty much every friday I could except for maybe the friday after an exam. Open labs were great, and I highly recommend you go if you can! Just spending more time looking at the cadavers or reviewing lecture materials is important.

At my school we have a pro bono clinic and a parkinsons exercise program that I wanted to volunteer at, but I felt pretty stressed out and anxious so I ended up not going to either and just going home to study more or relax. I also didn't want to stick around on campus for those things because I have a long commute to campus. There is enough time though to take for yourself and relax, but only if you manage your time and studying well. Definitely try not to procrastinate and review what you learned in class in the evening even if its for a little bit.
Thanks for the reply! Did you have time in between your classes or were they all right after one another?

What did you use to study and take notes? Do your classmates mostly use laptops or iPads/tablets? Does your cohort get along well and study together?

Thanks for the information! I will definetly look at muscle Os and Is. Quick question though. I know everyone is different in terms of retaining information, especially since anatomy is mainly memorization. How log do you study a day? a week?

Thanks for the information! I will definetly look at muscle Os and Is. Quick question though. I know everyone is different in terms of retaining information, especially since anatomy is mainly memorization. How log do you study a day? a week?

It felt like I studied all day long, but it wasn't of course. I am a crammer, unfortunately. As much as I would try to space out my studying it was hard...

Anyways, some weeks I would study every night after classes ended, which were no later than around 545/6 PM. So I'd study at home for 2-3 hours a night on weekdays, and maybe 5-7 hours on saturday and sunday before an exam, if not more T_T

Everyone is different though. I have a friend who I am pretty sure studied every minute of her day, we started calling her the walking textbook. I never had to study this much in undergrad, but also the stakes are a lot different compared to undergrad and grad school.