Am I unhireable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuitsbiscuits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck and I'm hoping this community might be able to provide some help or insight.

I completed my MSW ten years ago. But I never became licensed because when I graduated, I was offered a job in research that didn't require licensure. I was young and didn't have a lot of money, so I decided to accept the job and put off licensure. It wasn't really a problem for me and I enjoyed what I did, but my circumstances have changed a bit and I'd really like to go back to (or start, I guess) clinical practice.

What's out there for someone who wants more experience/training/supervision in clinical practice but may not be able to get hired for a job that would provide it? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many community mental health agencies will hire someone as long as they have a qualifying degree and some experience. These are not the best paying clinical positions, but you can make enough money to live until you get licensed and can increase your income.

Some degrees and states require clinicians to get licensed within a certain amount of time following graduation. I don't know much about the social work degree and how that applies. Whatever state you're in, you should look into this first. As long as you are still eligible to get licensed by the time you expect to complete your post-graduate clinical hours, I would encourage you to begin a clinical position somewhere (such as a community mental health center) and get the ball rolling.

I hope there is some helpful information in here for you. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of experience and time passed since your education. You have a degree and some prior experience, so you're at least as hireable in my eyes as a recent graduate. Like I mentioned before, I'm confident you could find work at a community mental health agency. Many agencies also offer free licensure supervision for social workers (but be sure to ask about it in your interview), so that's something to think about.

Additional education is great if you are looking to switch gears and take on research, teaching, or assessment. Is that something you're interested in? If you're envisioning a career based solely on clinical practice, I would advise against going back to school. The MSW plus the LICSW that comes a little later will allow you to practice independently, or work someone else (and by the way, the LICSW is an incredibly marketable license to possess in this day and age). Additionally, going back to school will require another potential 2-7 years of education alone, depending on the program, and not to mention all of the debt. I'm saying all of this because I know quite a few people who knew they wanted to do clinical work, got their masters degree to practice, and then went on to get a doctorate or different masters with the intention to still only practice, and they all said later they weren't sure if they really "needed" the new degree or if it was worth it in the long run to their career. Just something to think about. I got my masters and practice currently, and I am trying to get into doctoral programs, but it's only really because I want to pursue teaching, lots of research, and publishing at a higher level than a masters will let me.

What part of the country are you living in, by the way?