Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandonmma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My last year is coming up (highschool)
And let's just say that my grades are a 65% average..
Does that completely ruin my chances of going to med school?
My guidance counsellor told me I need an average of 85% to get in a good college :(

Members don't see this ad.

Country? Didn't know high school is so easy 1.0 GPA can let you graduate

Just go to comm college and get As then transfer to a good college after 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Country? Didn't know high school is so easy 1.0 GPA can let you graduate

In some high schools IIRC 60s is actually considered passing.

OP you really need to buckle down and get your self together in college. If you're struggling in high school, you should not even worry about medical school yet. The difficulty spike from college to med school is way higher than the difficulty spike from high school to college.

I suggest you earnestly evaluate your shortcomings and figure out a way to overcome them and do well in college so you can then be ready for med school. I've seen people who were worse than you who found a way and earned medical school and they did well. So you can do it, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well, you'll want to direct yourself to the premed forums for stuff like this in the future. But to answer your question, no, not if you're capable of better. I graduated high school with like a 2.3 GPA. I went to the only college that would take me, got all A's and B's, transferred to a larger university with better resources and support, and long story short I'm in my 4th year of medical school.

High school grades do not factor into medical school admissions in any way, shape, or form. You just have to be prepared for the increased rigor of college courses (even if it's community college), impose study discipline and go from there. If you can pull A's and B's in core courses in your first two years, you are in good shape.

And yeah, you aren't going to get into a good college with a 1.0. But if you can get a good ACT/SAT score, go to a community or city college and pull 3.5-4.0 GPA for 2-4 semesters, you can still transfer to a very good school. It happened to me. Medical school admissions committees love to hear comeback stories, it shows character and discipline.

I was a mediocre student in high school and I just finished med school. It was a long road with a lot of detours but I made it. People in high school worry a lot about getting in to a good college. That's important but not the MOST important. Focus on doing well at whatever college you end up going to. That's much more important than where you go to college.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
My guidance counsellor told me I need an average of 85% to get in a good college :(
That may be true, but its not important. Many community colleges don't even require scores, and some don't even require applications. You will have plenty of time to change your circumstance. High school doesn't matter at all. I graduated second in my high school class with an 'honors' diploma, I have several friends that all did worse than me, but ended going to pharmacy, CRNA, MD schools. Nobody remembers or cares. I have know plenty of people who got serious in college and did better in college, that's all medical schools will look at.

Strong chance you won't even end up wanting to do Medicine in the long big run.

High school grades don't matter, except for getting into a good college. Med schools pretty much don't care which college you go to, only how well you perform there.

I graduated high school with a very similar GPA and got accepted into medical school. Figure out why it is that your grades are so low and work on those problems. If it is because you don't like to learn or don't like school, you're not going to want to pursue medicine anyways. All the medicine route is is school, for what seems like forever. Spend some time at a community college (I did) to figure out how to succeed in academics. Good luck.