Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anperry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting the last semester of my freshman year in the spring. Currently, I go to a small public state university (not academically rigorous), and making a 4.0. Here are my plans for next semester/activities I'm involved in. What can I improve on or change? I'm trying to really make the most of any opportunities, given that I feel the need to make up for going to a relatively unknown school.

I am a Bio. major/IL school

Research
-Will be starting in a lab next semester in Chem dept., researching something to do with biosensors.

Organizations

-Education Chair with Habitat for Humanity. Actively involved, went on build over break, plan to continue next semester
-In a social justice organization that advocates awareness for immigration, climate change, etc. Went to Nashville over fall break to work with World Relief, Catholic Charities, etc.
-Plan to apply to start a chapter of Partners in Health Engage on my campus, if all goes well

Volunteering

- Will be working with a local hospice service
-Applied to volunteer at a nearby refugee assistance center
-Also applied to volunteer at local hospital (there aren't many premeds at my college, so shouldn't be difficult to get volunteering opps. there)

-Work as a piano accompanist for two churches every week, played in a trio last semester, accompanied recitals, etc.
-Will be teaching two piano students this semester

I will also be trying to fit in a first year Spanish class--one of my goals to learn.

For someone who wants to work in Global Health eventually, how do these activities sound? Anything I could do more of or change? I feel like I didn't do much last semester other than getting good grades, and I'm a bit worried about my plans for next semester. I considered transferring to UIUC next year, but I'm not sure that's the best idea (asked that question before).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I considered transferring to UIUC next year, but I'm not sure that's the best idea (asked that question before).
What is the motivation to transfer? How much more would it cost?

Being involved in ANY ECs during freshman year is already on the right track, don't worry so much. Starting research early is perfect, start a regular volunteering gig for the next couple years, keep up with the same clubs and try to get leadership positions. Keep the grades high, do well on the MCAT, and you're golden.

What is the motivation to transfer? How much more would it cost?

Being involved in ANY ECs during freshman year is already on the right track, don't worry so much. Starting research early is perfect, start a regular volunteering gig for the next couple years, keep up with the same clubs and try to get leadership positions. Keep the grades high, do well on the MCAT, and you're golden.

Well, since I really am passionate about global health, I feel like UIUC has more opportunities in that respect. I'm only worried about my gpa being lower there because of a tougher course load, but at the same time, wouldn't that help with the MCAT? There are risks to transferring to a larger state school, I know, but I'm still unsure what to do.

In terms of cost, it would be slighter more expensive though..

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since I really am passionate about global health, I feel like UIUC has more opportunities in that respect. I'm only worried about my gpa being lower there because of a tougher course load, but at the same time, wouldn't that help with the MCAT? There are risks to transferring to a larger state school, I know, but I'm still unsure what to do.

In terms of cost, it would be slighter more expensive though..
Re the bold: no, not really. Nobody studies for the MCAT using their old class materials, and you usually don't take the test until a year or two after most of the prereq series. It's all about MCAT-specific prep from MCAT study materials in the couple months before the test.

How much more expensive? Pursuit of better global health education sounds like a decent reason to switch (the other common reasons being mismatch with school culture and location)

Re the bold: no, not really. Nobody studies for the MCAT using their old class materials, and you usually don't take the test until a year or two after most of the prereq series. It's all about MCAT-specific prep from MCAT study materials in the couple months before the test.

How much more expensive? Pursuit of better global health education sounds like a decent reason to switch (the other common reasons being mismatch with school culture and location)

Right now, I am paying about 10k which is covered by scholarships. UIUC would be about 20k. I wouldn't have to take out loans, but I will definitely be applying for more scholarships to cover the cost if I transferred.

Didn't you have a BIG thread about this last week? You go to EIU right?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Yes, I mentioned that I've asked the question before in my first post, and didn't really intend for this thread to reiterate that last conversation, but I am still somewhat undecided.

Right now, I am paying about 10k which is covered by scholarships. UIUC would be about 20k. I wouldn't have to take out loans, but I will definitely be applying for more scholarships to cover the cost if I transferred.
If you can get scholarship to cover it, I can't see any good reasons not to. Are you 100% certain about medicine? That's the last big point to consider, because if you decide to go after something else, UIUC >> EIU

If you can get scholarship to cover it, I can't see any good reasons not to. Are you 100% certain about medicine? That's the last big point to consider, because if you decide to go after something else, UIUC >> EIU

I'm 110% sure about medicine--there's no question. And global health is something I am really interested in! That's why I've been so indecisive when it comes to staying at my current school.