Am I on the right track for BS/MD?

bluewind751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an upcoming sophomore this fall and I'd like to get into any BS/MD program to become a doctor. (Mostly either UMDNJ's and Penn State's) I know I want to be a doctor because I am highly fascinated by the topic of medicine and I can't imagine doing anything else as a career.

Here are a few of my stats so far:

GPA: 4.0
Class Rank: 1/475
(I'm taking the SAT/ACT at some point. Just reading books for now.)

APs:
-Sophomore: Self-Studying Both Psych and Stat
-Junior: Biology, Calc AB, US History, and English Language
-Senior: Physics, Calc BC, US Govt, English Lit, and Spanish

Non-Medical Extracurriculars:
-Varsity Cross Country
-Varsity Winter Track
-Varsity Outdoor Track
-Science League
-Interact Club

Medically Related Extracurriculars:
-Volunteering at Hospital
-(Applying for Research Opportunities)

Summer Programs:
-Just running practices for now; I'm going to try to apply to medical camps/programs over the summer in order to not waste time. ;)

Can someone please tell me tips on how to make myself seem more attractive to the significantly competitive programs and tell me if I am on the right track for a sophomore? Thanks a bunch. :)

Members don't see this ad.

is your school on a block schedule? See if you can take bio and chem in the same year. and see if you can take anatomy and physics in the same year too. if you keep at the rate that your at and do good on the SAT/ACT you should have no problem.

I think the biggest item of separation in these programs is medical experience. The fact is that everyone who is seriously applying (or is invited to apply) will have stellar numbers (valedictorians, perfect GPA, etc.).

I think you're on the right track. Just stay on the grind, try and get some medical experience, and you'll probably be golden. Keep in mind, though, that these programs are incredibly competitive. My undergrad offers four spots each year with an incoming class size of about 3200. Don't be disappointed if you don't make it.