Am I Minority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uzbekikid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Long time SDN stalker, first time user. My background is somewhat unique, but I'm not sure if it would place me in the URM category. I was born in Uzbekistan to an Uzbekistani father and Russian mother. I know the standards for URM are black, hispanic and Indian. But do I count? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, God! *Runs*

URM's are one of the following four ethnicities:
1) American born African American.
2) Native American
3) Mainland Puerto Rican
4) Mexican American

Now, ask yourself, are you one or any combination of those four ethnicities? If not then no, you are not a URM.

Have a pleasant evening.

In order for you to be a URM, you don't just have to be from a group that's rare in medicine. You have to be from a group that's much rarer in medicine than in the general population. While you may not run into that many immigrants from former Soviet republics on the street, I think the number of us in medicine is either fairly representative or over-representative of the number of us in America.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So a Black (US citizen or legal resident) person born in the Carribean or Africa doesn't count as an URM????

Correct. Nor does an offshore Puerto Rican. However, Mexican American immigrants are considered on a case by case basis.

This is wrong. Schools can classify URM as they wish. Many schools take "Hispanic" as a whole to count as "URM." Some schools, like Utah, consider Filipino to be URM. That said, I don't think any school would take the OP as URM.

this....Poetic silence, stop spreading misinformation...what u said applied to candidates back in 2005 or something like that...

I am black. My parents are from Martinique so I have a very French name.

Am I URM?

Being black does not equate to being African American. African American is an ethnicity unique to the USA. Their struggles and history are not shared by Haitian Americans, Jamaican Americans, Martinique Americans or immigrants from countries of the continent of Africa.

African Americans are African Americans, so please quit muddying the water. It is an incredibly simple concept to grasp and I do not appreciate seeing African American history and culture trivialized by black people living in America who are not, themselves, African American.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please disregard Poetic Silence.

This has been a public service announcement. Carry on.

Now is not the time for your mindless antics, JD.

Or I'm right and you're close minded.

As an URM,you are wrong man, URM for blacks, or African Americans, is ANYONE with FULL AFRICAN ANCESTRY, which includes Jamaicans, Haitians, etc, these people are likely to give back and serve the black community regardless of whether there Jamaican or American, there still black, same thing with a person from AFRICA, you can't distinguish African Americans in this country against Africans or Jamaicans, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME RACE.

Same concept with Latinos, all latinos, you don't have to be born here to be a URM, its about race, if a mexican immigrant received medical education here he would most likely be geared to serve the Latino community once he becomes a doctor. The same thing with an AMERICAN BORN Latino who's parents are from Mexico. They would fulfill the same task. THEY ARE THE SAME RACE.