Am I giving up too soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lelilatrk275

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice about re-applying. I've been waitlisted at New Jersey Medical School and NYU. I have interviewed at Robert Wood Johnson and Drexel, but I am still waiting to hear from them. Since I was waitlisted at NJMS, I have started to feel like I don't have a chance of getting in anywhere. I have a 3.69 BCPM and 3.71 overall. My MCAT was 14p, 10V, 9B Q. I've done two years bench research in inorganic chemistry and have been a volunteer EMT for almost 3 years. I participated in a 6-week doctor shadowing program last summer at a community hospital and I am the vice-president of AMSA at my college. My applications were later than I would have liked, but I am wondering if my 9 on the bio section and the fact that I received a C+ in eukaryotic cell biology is hurting me significantly.

I am wondering if it is too early to start thinking about reapplying. I never really thought about what I would do with a year off. I don't think I need a post-bac program because I think my science gpa is fine, but I don't know what other things you can do for just one year. I am also not sure if it would be worth taking the MCAT again just to improve my bio score. I greatly appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It probably is a bit too early for u to think about reapplying since you have very solid stats. MCAT and GPA are fine. Wait it out a few months and see what happens. Unless you are an arrogant ass, I would be surprised if you dont get in somewhere.

If you have to reapply, apply very early and very broadly. The bio section is not that low by any means and everyone has at least 1 eyesore on their application. Dont worry about it.

It probably is a bit too early for u to think about reapplying since you have very solid stats. MCAT and GPA are fine. Wait it out a few months and see what happens. Unless you are an arrogant ass, I would be surprised if you dont get in somewhere.

If you have to reapply, apply very early and very broadly. The bio section is not that low by any means and everyone has at least 1 eyesore on their application. Dont worry about it.

Agree with the above.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you applied late appears to be your major flaw, assuming you interview well and have good letters of reference. I agree that it's too soon to give up hope, but it's always a good idea to plan about reapplying, just in case. Keep your clinically relevant activities up to date. Are you volunteering currently? Decide if you need to approach other faculty to replace borderline LORs. Meet with a premed advisor who can view your existing letters and give you feedback on them. Consider practice interviews in your school's career center to get feedback on your interview style. Do not retake the MCAT. The C+ will not hurt you, as it is an isolated event. You do not need a post-bac. If you must reapply, next time do it early and get the secondaries in promptly.

applying late is what likely hurt you

you need to apply in july to a ton of schools next time around

dont retake mcat. dont do postbac.

do something touchy-feely like work with mentally ******ed kids or teach in a bad school as well as your other clinical work in your year off

and dont give up home for this year, most students come off of the waitlist and those are two good schools.