Am I crazy for thinking that hospital medicine is one of the best lifestyle specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys,
Has any job asked for 5 references with 2 of those references coming from previous 2 jobs PD? A hospital system expects me to give them references from my current job (which I have been at for more than 2 years) and from my previous jobs. Anyone seeing this trend? How should I respond? I really don't have references from my previous job that I left over 2 years ago.

My job asked for last 15 YEARS of places, contacts etc.

Luckily I only had had one job post Residency so it was easy, but seriously, W…T….F…. !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It will probably be hard for me to leave HM... because one my co-residents who is in the midwest told me that he usually got to work by 10 and leave ~5-5:30pm... I just gotta to find a setting like that when I am ready to leave my gig.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is for anyone who is looking for a job in SC. Will send you the link.

- Salary starts at $350,000 + Bonus Options
- Signing Bonus & Relocation package
- 7 on / 7 off schedule, 1p-1a
- NO procedures + 24/7 Intensivist support
- Comprehensive benefits packag

Job #8538

SOUTH CAROLINA Hospitalist Program hiring for SWING SHIFT

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Census and # of admits?
"NO procedures are required with 24/7 Intensivist coverage of the 80+ ICU beds. The Swing Shift can expect to share Day Admits with an APP dedicated to Admissions only and round. With multiple swing shifts to take care of admissions and 3-4 Hospitalists on until 4a, you have plenty of support to maintain the average 18 ppd census per provider."

"NO procedures are required with 24/7 Intensivist coverage of the 80+ ICU beds. The Swing Shift can expect to share Day Admits with an APP dedicated to Admissions only and round. With multiple swing shifts to take care of admissions and 3-4 Hospitalists on until 4a, you have plenty of support to maintain the average 18 ppd census per provider."
Avg 18 really means 20-22.

Reactions: 3 users
This is for anyone who is looking for a job in SC. Will send you the link.

- Salary starts at $350,000 + Bonus Options
- Signing Bonus & Relocation package
- 7 on / 7 off schedule, 1p-1a
- NO procedures + 24/7 Intensivist support
- Comprehensive benefits packag

Job #8538

SOUTH CAROLINA Hospitalist Program hiring for SWING SHIFT
Not where I'd want to live, but to each his own.

Is 18 patients the total encounters including admissions, or just the number to round on (with admissions on top of that)?

Do you need to cross cover patients since this is a swing shift and presumably the day shifts end earlier than your shift ends?

Can you finish a bit earlier and take call from home? (I'm guessing not since this shift involves admitting everyday)

Is there an RVU or quality bonus on top of the $350k if the census goes up or if there are days were there is understaffing? I'm assuming the base salary is for a standard ~182 shifts per year.

is this place in a coastal part of of SC? $350k would be a solid deal if it is but if it's in the more rural areas it's still decent (but probably not as attractive to most).

Yes, but not that part.
I see. I have never been to SC. I obviously don't know which part of the state that job is. I only remember that housing in not expensive in Columbia and it has ok school districts.

Is 18 patients the total encounters including admissions, or just the number to round on (with admissions on top of that)?

Do you need to cross cover patients since this is a swing shift and presumably the day shifts end earlier than your shift ends?

Can you finish a bit earlier and take call from home? (I'm guessing not since this shift involves admitting everyday)

Is there an RVU or quality bonus on top of the $350k if the census goes up or if there are days were there is understaffing? I'm assuming the base salary is for a standard ~182 shifts per year.

is this place in a coastal part of of SC? $350k would be a solid deal if it is but if it's in the more rural areas it's still decent (but probably not as attractive to most).
Here is the whole job description.

South Carolina Hospitalist Program hiring for SWING SHIFT NO MANAGEMENT COMPANY! A growing community population has led to an increased census and additional physicians are needed to join a hospital employed Program in SOUTH CAROLINA! Just an hour to Myrtle Beach, you will LOVE the 7 on / 7 off block scheduling and a cohesive Hospitalist Program. NO procedures are required with 24/7 Intensivist coverage of the 80+ ICU beds. The Swing Shift can expect to share Day Admits with an APP dedicated to Admissions only and round. With multiple swing shifts to take care of admissions and 3-4 Hospitalists on until 4a, you have plenty of support to maintain the average 18 ppd census per provider. A competitive compensation and benefits package is available for the incoming Nocturnist. The ideal candidate is a Board Certified Internal Medicine residency trained Hospitalist interested in a dedicated Swing Shift role with an active South Carolina license. - Salary starts at $350,000 + Bonus Options - Signing Bonus & Relocation package - 7 on / 7 off schedule, 1p-1a - NO procedures + 24/7 Intensivist support - Comprehensive benefits package Located in a community that is a medical hub of the southeast with strong relationships across the area, you will enjoy a tight knit medical community, beaches of the Atlantic just an hour's drive from your backyard, weekly Farmers Markets, Art Museums, Festivals, beautiful Historic District, excellent public/private school options, and 600+ acres of parks to swing, climb, slide, walk, and play your day away! Interested candidates, please call.......and submit your CV to......to be considered. Know someone looking? Call to discuss our $2,000 REFERRAL BONUS and pass the info along!

Here is the whole job description.

South Carolina Hospitalist Program hiring for SWING SHIFT NO MANAGEMENT COMPANY! A growing community population has led to an increased census and additional physicians are needed to join a hospital employed Program in SOUTH CAROLINA! Just an hour to Myrtle Beach, you will LOVE the 7 on / 7 off block scheduling and a cohesive Hospitalist Program. NO procedures are required with 24/7 Intensivist coverage of the 80+ ICU beds. The Swing Shift can expect to share Day Admits with an APP dedicated to Admissions only and round. With multiple swing shifts to take care of admissions and 3-4 Hospitalists on until 4a, you have plenty of support to maintain the average 18 ppd census per provider. A competitive compensation and benefits package is available for the incoming Nocturnist. The ideal candidate is a Board Certified Internal Medicine residency trained Hospitalist interested in a dedicated Swing Shift role with an active South Carolina license. - Salary starts at $350,000 + Bonus Options - Signing Bonus & Relocation package - 7 on / 7 off schedule, 1p-1a - NO procedures + 24/7 Intensivist support - Comprehensive benefits package Located in a community that is a medical hub of the southeast with strong relationships across the area, you will enjoy a tight knit medical community, beaches of the Atlantic just an hour's drive from your backyard, weekly Farmers Markets, Art Museums, Festivals, beautiful Historic District, excellent public/private school options, and 600+ acres of parks to swing, climb, slide, walk, and play your day away! Interested candidates, please call.......and submit your CV to......to be considered. Know someone looking? Call to discuss our $2,000 REFERRAL BONUS and pass the info along!
Yeah…when they mention it’s only an hour away from a desirable area, you know it’s in BFE…

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I have never been to SC. I obviously don't know which part of the state that job is. I only remember that housing in not expensive in Columbia and it has ok school districts.
Google search the job posting. It's an hour from Myrtle Beach.

I dont understand why a swing shift would be rounding on patients or have their own census. Anyone?

Yeah, I thought swing shifts are usually just admissions...

From what I saw based on the offers my seniors got and from job search websites..any hospitalist job that pays >250k BASE has a catch

Catch for a 250k+ hospitalist job...really! I don't think any hospitalist should work for < 250k if not severely limited geographically...

I have some people at my shop who think they have the best job in medicine...

Last edited:
In my experience / search the round and go gigs are uncommon and they pay about the same as outpatient IM working 8 am to 4-5 pm, 4 days a week with no weekends or holidays + 30 work days PTO. I make great money as a day hospitalist but it's difficult to leave earlier than 7 pm because it gets busy in the afternoons and the day team admits until 6:15 pm. Unfortunately, we have no admitting / swing shift. So, we admit throughout the day as we discharge and round 84 hours in one week while missing out on many social events. Gets old fast. The week off does not make up for it.
And you really can't do much with one week off. I wish I could travel to other countries but that is not possible with one week off. Don't forget that we also get no overtime or sick days. Would be nice to have a hospitalist organization that advocates for us.

Catch for a 250k+ hospitalist job...really! I don't think any hospitalist should work for < 250k if not severely limited geographically...

I have some people at my shop who think they have the best job in medicine...
@Splenda88, Do a fellowship now, thank me later 😀

And you really can't do much with one week off. I wish I could travel to other countries but that is not possible with one week off. Don't forget that we also get no overtime or sick days. Would be nice to have a hospitalist organization that advocates for us.
Yes, I agree! It's like working a 42 hours a week job, including weekends/holidays/early evenings/overnights, with absolutely no PTO or sick days. For what? Maybe another $50K more a year PRE-tax compared to a PCP job. A well run outpatient IM clinic or endocrinology / rheumatology sound much better. An endocrinologist told me recently he has been getting emails to do endocrinology locum work in Virginia for $250/hr. I did not ask for details since I don't know him well. That's at least $50/hr higher than hospitalist/nocturnist locums. BTW, @rokshana, @Raryn, and @bronx43 how is the locum endocrinology and rheumatology market in your experience?

Yes, I agree! It's like working a 42 hours a week job, including weekends/holidays/early evenings/overnights, with absolutely no PTO or sick days. For what? Maybe another $50K more a year PRE-tax compared to a PCP job. A well run outpatient IM clinic or endocrinology / rheumatology sound much better. An endocrinologist told me recently he has been getting emails to do endocrinology locum work in Virginia for $250/hr. I did not ask for details since I don't know him well. That's at least $50/hr higher than hospitalist/nocturnist locums. BTW, @rokshana, @Raryn, and @bronx43 how is the locum endocrinology and rheumatology market in your experience?

I’ve said exactly this before. 7 on/off is a scam. One can make close to the same (or more in some cases) as a PCP while working bankers hours and having vacation time and holidays off.

I've never done locums - @rokshana is the expert there - but as I understand it, it's much less flexible than locums hospitalist work. They want folks for stretches of a few months at a time, not just picking up a week of shifts.

But yeah, I'd rather do endocrine than hospitalist medicine. Otherwise I'd have not done the fellowship.

Overall, it’s good… rates vary ( though I know where that Virginia job is and there is a reason they are paying g $250/hr🙄).
But it depends on what you want out of your job and what is important to you.
Flexibility and working 2weeks a month out is what is important to me…but I’ve worked hospitalist as well and decided to do fellowship for a reason… the subject matter in endocrine os what I enjoy… the pay can be better as a hospitalist, especially as a nocturnist ( which is what I do) , but money isn’t the end all be all for me…but I expect to be appropriately compensated for why I do…what that is, is up to the individual.

I’ve said exactly this before. 7 on/off is a scam. One can make close to the same (or more in some cases) as a PCP while working bankers hours and having vacation time and holidays off.
Why many FM out of residency are choosing the 7 on/off then? Not going from room to room seeing patient in every 15-20 mins. Thank you! I am ok seeing 16-17 patients a day + ~1 admit at my pace.

People should find the right job in whatever setting they want to work. There might be superb outpatient primary care jobs out there. But on average, HM is better than primary care.

I am going to say that again. There is no better job in term of flexibility in medicine than HM. If you wanna work 10 days a month (no nights), there will be plenty of jobs to choose from, and you will be making ~200k

Last edited:
@Splenda88, Do a fellowship now, thank me later 😀
I will use that time (3 yrs) to put my financial house in order so I can semi retire in 3 yrs.

By the way, if I work fellowship hours (60 hrs/wk), I will be making 500k+/yr for 3 yrs.

Last edited:
Why many FM out of residency are choosing the 7 on/off then? Not going from room to room seeing patient in every 15-20 mins. Thank you! I am ok seeing 16-17 patients a day + ~1 admit at my pace.

People should find the right job in whatever setting they want to work. There might be superb outpatient primary care jobs out there. But on average, HM is better than primary care.

I am going to say that again. There is no better job in term of flexibility in medicine than HM. If you wanna work 10 days a month (no nights), there will be plenty of jobs to choose from, and you will be making ~200k

EM, CCM, anesthesiology, GI hospitalist, surgicalist and many other specialty locums (rads, psych, cards, ortho, endo, etc) are just as flexible, shift work based and higher paid than HM.

I will use that time (3 yrs) to put my financial house in order so I can semi retire in 3 yrs.

By the way, if I work fellowship hours (60 hrs/wk), I will be making 500k+/yr for 3 yrs.
The question is, are you going to consistently work 60 hours a week as a hospitalist? That would be $500K PRE-tax. In addition to the highest bracket income taxes add another 10% towards student loans if you have loans and are pursuing PSLF as most AMGs. During fellowship you are making much less but you are also paying much less in income taxes and towards students loans. One obviously loses money while doing a fellowship instead of working as a hospitalist, and one needs to consider the time value of money but if the fellowship increases your career longevity, you would come ahead financially. And even better if the fellowship program qualifies for PSLF (most do) and the subspecialty training increases your earning power.
What do you mean by semi-retire? You will work only 1 week block a month without being tempted to pick up more shifts and maintain the $500K a year lifestyle? 😀

Overall, it’s good… rates vary ( though I know where that Virginia job is and there is a reason they are paying g $250/hr🙄).
But it depends on what you want out of your job and what is important to you.
Flexibility and working 2weeks a month out is what is important to me…but I’ve worked hospitalist as well and decided to do fellowship for a reason… the subject matter in endocrine os what I enjoy… the pay can be better as a hospitalist, especially as a nocturnist ( which is what I do) , but money isn’t the end all be all for me…but I expect to be appropriately compensated for why I do…what that is, is up to the individual.
What makes the Virginia job so bad? It can't be worse than the $180-200/hr must be comfortable with tubes, vent management, lines, play intensivist, high census hospitalist gigs 😀. What are the typical endocrinology locum rates?

The question is, are you going to consistently work 60 hours a week as a hospitalist? That would be $500K PRE-tax. In addition to the highest bracket income taxes add another 10% towards student loans if you have loans and are pursuing PSLF as most AMGs. During fellowship you are making much less but you are also paying much less in income taxes and towards students loans. One obviously loses money while doing a fellowship instead of working as a hospitalist, and one needs to consider the time value of money but if the fellowship increases your career longevity, you would come ahead financially. And even better if the fellowship program qualifies for PSLF (most do) and the subspecialty training increases your earning power.
What do you mean by semi-retire? You will work only 1 week block a month without being tempted to pick up more shifts and maintain the $500K a year lifestyle? 😀
If I can do it for 3 + 3 years (70+ hrs/wk residency + fellowships) for minimum wages, why can't I do it to achieve my financial goal...

Semi-retire means being almost financially independent (home paid off, 500k+ in the market, no outstanding debt) and work 7 days on and 21 days off making 165k/yr.

You don't think working 1 wk a month would increase my career longevity! I am not having a 500k lifestyle since the goal was to get out of the rat race as early as possible.

Last edited:
If I can do it for 3 + 3 years (70+ hrs/wk residency + fellowships) for minimum wages, why can't I do it to achieve my financial goal...

Semi-retire means being financially independent (home paid off, 500k+ in the market, no outstanding debt) and work 7 days on and 21 days off making 165k/yr.

You don't think working 1 wk a month would increase my career longevity! I am not having a 500k lifestyle since the goal was to get out of the rat race as early as possible.
Fair enough 😀

What makes the Virginia job so bad? It can't be worse than the $180-200/hr must be comfortable with tubes, vent management, lines, play intensivist, high census hospitalist gigs 😀. What are the typical endocrinology locum rates?
If it’s the one I’m thinking about… location… not convenient to get to that town… not that great a town.
And that spot is always coming up periodically…whoever they get stays the minimum and gets out…

Every place that uses locums has some sort of chaos… otherwise they wouldn’t need locums.

Sometimes the chaos is simply the undesirable location…but sometimes it’s a toxic place where no one is happy…those places are just not worth it.

Rates vary on a number of things, but generally should be able to get between 175-225/hr.midwest seems to pay the most, NE the least.

If it’s the one I’m thinking about… location… not convenient to get to that town… not that great a town.
And that spot is always coming up periodically…whoever they get stays the minimum and gets out…

Every place that uses locums has some sort of chaos… otherwise they wouldn’t need locums.

Sometimes the chaos is simply the undesirable location…but sometimes it’s a toxic place where no one is happy…those places are just not worth it.

Rates vary on a number of things, but generally should be able to get between 175-225/hr.midwest seems to pay the most, NE the least.
Pretty good! I'm happy to see endocrinologists are getting paid well as they should. I'm in WI. Every healthcare system in my area seems to be looking for endocrinologists.

I don't think we can just look at raw hours. 40 hours in the clinic feels like about 100+ to me. I know residency clinic sucks but I hate just the sight of paperwork and inbox alerts. I find it harder to turn my brain off in the clinic

Pretty good! I'm happy to see endocrinologists are getting paid well as they should. I'm in WI. Every healthcare system in my area seems to be looking for endocrinologists.
Most endocrinologists aren't making near $175-225/hr. Median income is $250-260k for full time work, which is probably around 36 patient-facing hours/week. Even with generous vacation time and ignoring any admin time, that would put the median person drawing closer to $140-150/hr.

Locums beats that of course, but remember that locums also comes with no benefits and a different tax regimen (self employment tax is higher than just paying the employee half of FICA, but they also get to deduct a lot more). In *general* you can basically assume someone locums is making ~1.3-1.5x the hourly pay as staff, but it really does vary widely. In rural areas, it can often be significantly higher.

Most endocrinologists aren't making near $175-225/hr. Median income is $250-260k for full time work, which is probably around 36 patient-facing hours/week. Even with generous vacation time and ignoring any admin time, that would put the median person drawing closer to $140-150/hr.

Locums beats that of course, but remember that locums also comes with no benefits and a different tax regimen (self employment tax is higher than just paying the employee half of FICA, but they also get to deduct a lot more). In *general* you can basically assume someone locums is making ~1.3-1.5x the hourly pay as staff, but it really does vary widely. In rural areas, it can often be significantly higher.

Is that how typical locum gigs are?

My senior just signed for a locum hospitalist job, all benefits included, for around 350k. He has to travel to 5-6 states within the same region.

My numbers were for locums.

My senior just signed for a locum hospitalist job, all benefits included, for around 350k. He has to travel to 5-6 states within the same region.
That’s not locums…he may be per diem for a hospital system…but generally locums are independent (1099) contractors…I’ve done per diem as well as locums and yes, when employed by the hospital system you can be eligible for some benefits.

He is likely working directly for a staffing company of some sort - which means he's being paid as an employee. Typically locums gigs, even ones that you find through a company, are independent contractor jobs though - then you do not have any benefits. It does offer significant flexibility - particularly with regards to taxes and things like opening a Solo 401k - but it has downsides too.

Been doing it for 7 years so far ( yikes!)… no lack of assignments ( and I’m picky).
That's awesome! ~ $200/hr for specialty mainly outpatient work without weekends, holidays and nights or hospitalist / PCP hustles. Do you travel a lot or you have plenty of long term work within driving distance? I think financially is better to make $200/hr as 1099 than $150/hr as W2, especially if one is not a PSLF hopeful and has a spouse with good job benefits.

Make the most money you can. Medicine is a grind. Almost everyone complains.

The good thing about medicine is that most of us can set ourselves to retire in 10-12 yrs while living a comfortable middle class life.

That's awesome! ~ $200/hr for specialty mainly outpatient work without weekends, holidays and nights or hospitalist / PCP hustles. Do you travel a lot or you have plenty of long term work within driving distance? I think financially is better to make $200/hr as 1099 than $150/hr as W2, especially if one is not a PSLF hopeful and has a spouse with good job benefits.
I travel out for 2 weeks and then am home for 2 weeks…but that’s me… there are various ways to do it…some will work 3-6 months at a time for an assignment, then take a break and then pick up another assignment… some work close to home and work 3-4 days a week… just depends on what you want.

with $200/h, how much would it translate to annual income in average? @rokshana
The math isn’t really that hard.

Assuming 5d/wk and 6 weeks off (for whatever) a year, that’s a gross of $370K. Titrate up or down for more or less work and then cut it in half to get the number that winds up in your checking account.

Here are my thoughts

- First you will enjoy it , you get a whole week off if you working this schedule , a luxury that you don't have in other jobs. However by the third day you started getting bored and you want to do something, what many people ending up doing is working in their weeks off, which can be tiring on the long term and cause some burnout
- you don't have to deal with the pain of follow ups and patients calls as with outpatient, as your job primarily stabilizing them enough to go back where they came from or until they see their primary or subspecialist. However your relationship ends when patient leaves the hospital ( unless you have a frequent) you don't feel that rapport or ownership as if you run outpatient practice.
- You act often as middleman for other physician and sometimes you feel you are not practicing medicine you just doing coordination
- I may be wrong but opportunities to advance in the hospitalist position are limited unless you go for administration but not much scientifically

Know don't forget that there are moments come when it is very rewarding specially since you deal with acute situation and potentially you can save lives.

I don't understand the RVU system that well since I have been a salaried employee.

I have already mentioned my salary here before. For those who did not read the whole thread, my salary is ~330k/year. 7 days on/off

My job just started a new system. We were straight salaried employee with ZERO incentive. However, now for every encounter above 18 patients, we get $150 per patient. For instance, let's say I start the day with 18 patients. If I admit 1 patient, I get an extra $150 for the day on top of my daily salary. If I admit 2 patients, I got $300...and so forth.

The same way, if start with 20 patients, I get paid $300 on top of my daily salary. However, that has never happened, I can remember only once or twice I started the day with 19 patients during the whole year since I have been at this place.

Is that better or worse than typical RVU?