Am I competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Maxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading the audiology forum on SDN for a while now and I have a couple of questions if anyone can offer any insight. So I originally started college interested in medicine, I have completed about 1,000 hours of interning in various fields. I decided that I would major in History at Binghamton University to have a more individual major. I then discovered Audiology and I am sure it is what I want. My concern is that I do not have a communications major or speech and hearing related courses taken as my school does not offer them. I am graduating soon and I will be taking the GRE this summer. My GPA is about a 3.0, in everyones honest opinion am i competitive enough for a spot anywhere? I am willing to relocate for school, I was looking at Montclair's program and my top choice would be University of the Pacific in CA. Could anyone let me know if I am competitive enough? If being a history major is alright? I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have been reading the audiology forum on SDN for a while now and I have a couple of questions if anyone can offer any insight. So I originally started college interested in medicine, I have completed about 1,000 hours of interning in various fields. I decided that I would major in History at Binghamton University to have a more individual major. I then discovered Audiology and I am sure it is what I want. My concern is that I do not have a communications major or speech and hearing related courses taken as my school does not offer them. I am graduating soon and I will be taking the GRE this summer. My GPA is about a 3.0, in everyones honest opinion am i competitive enough for a spot anywhere? I am willing to relocate for school, I was looking at Montclair's program and my top choice would be University of the Pacific in CA. Could anyone let me know if I am competitive enough? If being a history major is alright? I appreciate it!

Im late to this responce but it may help someone else,

You do not need a Hearing Science Major for Audiology, but you do NEED the required courses (which are usually listed on the school's site). Audiology programs love people with science backgrounds, so if you did decent (B and up) in hard courses they will forgive your GPA. Though you have shadowing hours, its important you get some relevant shadowing (25 hours or more).

1st, Search "edfind" for Audiology programs. Each school will list the amount of people who applied, the number accepted, their average GPA, and the average GRE scores. To get into a school you need to do a few things: shadow, get a good GRE score (150+), relevant letters of rec, and volunteering or research experience really helps.

If you can get the required classes, nail the GRE, and gain shadowing experience you could possibly get accepted.

I would suggests that you look into the job market for Audiology though. It is a very small field and that is something you should consider.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I have read online, doing my own research, and with speaking to my Audiologist. Most graduate school Au.D programs do not care if you have an undergrad in CSD, but then some do.

You can google "Top Audiology Programs" and then you'll have a huge list of schools you can choose from, to call, and to ask questions. You can also go to the asha website and search edfind and they have a long list of grad schools as well. I would call and ask about their pre-reqs for a non-CSD undergrads. Some schools have you enroll in the Spring/Summer semester to complete pre-reqs before being accepted into the Au.D program.

Grad schools on the list also have most of this information on their websites.

Then I would study like hell for the GRE. Hire a tutor, sign-up for a (paid) online course to help you study, or take a GRE prep class. If you get a good overall number (most school websites have their average and what number they're looking for in applicants) on the GRE and sufficient Letters of Rec, then I definitely think you have a chance. If audiology is where you want to be, put yourself out there, and in the field. Shadow a local audiologist, volunteer at a deaf school, participate in activities that promote hearing wellness and awareness, etc.

Sorry this is so long lol. Also, call or email an Au.D professor or CSD professor in the school of your interest. Ask them to help you. They are more than willing. I have heard they like to see a well-rounded, honest, purposeful personal statement letter with your application.

Okay, I think I'm finished. :) Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user