Am I at a disadvantage ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I want to get into a 6y OMFS program in the States or Canada (I am from Canada but studying outside North America ) and I was wondering am I at a disadvantage to someone who graduated from a dental school in North America given I have completed my boards and great score on CBSE as well as rec letters, volunteer, 3 pieces of research, and 2 shadowing positions for 2 years. I will also try to do an inter...
thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They won't even consider your application... Foreign dentists aren't eligible for 6 year omfs. You have 5% chance to match at SOME 4 year omfs programs (4-5 programs) given that you have previous US training (GPR/AEGD) and high score CBSE. Most programs only consider US citizens or PR

Sent from my MediaPad X1 7.0 using Tapatalk

What if I get the American citizenship?

•_• hi •_•

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely helps. Some OMS program won't consider you without Citizenship or greencard

Look The General RULE for OMS residency:
Most residency program want US Green card or citizenship
For 4 year programs:
- US/Canada DDS or advanced standing DDS (2years)

For 6 years programs:
- US/Canada Undergraduate degree .. Your degree should include medical/dental school required coursework (bio, chemistry, physics,...)

- Full (4 year) US/ Canada DDS

These are the general educational backgrounds required for the programs. However there are some exceptions

1- Loma Linda 4 year OMS residency for example can accept you with out US DDS but you probably must have some US dental training to seriously offer you spot in their program.

2- Some 6 year OMS residency programs have accepted Foreign Dentists without US undergraduate ,They only wanted US DDS from advanced standing program ( 2 year DDS)

To find out about these ,contact each residency program and ask their program director or program admission staff.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks appreciate the truth finally someone can actually see things this way. I'll make sure to ask and collect information.

•_• hi •_•