Am I applying too late for the 2023 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-REXX

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am a junior in a Biochemistry major (graduating in May 2023) and I am taking the MCAT (which I might flunk) in August 2022 for application to med school. I was told NOT to shadow or do research because I initially wanted to do an MD/PhD by the Head of my department and even if I he said I should shadow, COVID killed all of my opportunities; my only volunteer work has been at church and at a thrift store/food pantry helping the homeless for 4 years now. I now only want to do an MD and need to catch up.

I have a decent GPA of a 3.82, all the prerequisites done with mostly A's (some B's, but no Cs'); a year of research experience (with presentations on that research); I am a minority in STEM; I have prolonged, non-medical volunteer experience; and I am 19 years old.

When do I need to have my applications in by, or is it even worth applying this time around with my stats? I know the deadlines for each school, but I have been told that applying after August is frowned upon by Medical Schools and I don't know if submitting my application without my MCAT score is a good idea.

EDIT:
Thank you to those who have responded! It looks like I am going to start on my second major then. My scholarship will cover all of it so it doesn't cost me anything. In the meantime, I am going to volunteer and shadow. You guys are truly awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am taking the MCAT (which I might flunk) in August 2022 for application to med school.
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
Do not apply until you know your MCAT score, even if it delays your application by a year (or more).

Reactions: 5 users
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
Do not apply until you know your MCAT score, even if it delays your application by a year (or more).
THIS^^^. There is no way you are going to be able to pull a great application together for this cycle, no matter what you get on the MCAT, because it's already March and you have zero shadowing and zero clinical experience.

Your community volunteering is great. You need a similarly longitudinal record in clinical experiences to demonstrate interest. Slapping together a few hours right before you apply will look like the checking the box rush job that it will be, so forget about applying this year.

Focus on killing the MCAT, in August, September, or even early in 2023. In the meantime, get in 50-100 hours of shadowing and several hundred hours of clinical experience, volunteer or paid. With your GPA, if you get a decent MCAT (515+), you'll be competitive at many top programs. As a minority in STEM, you will be able to get away with a much lower score and still be competitive at mid tier and below MD programs (average for URM matriculants is 506/507), but, with your grades why not shoot for the stars on the MCAT, get your ECs in line, and put yourself in the best possible position to have a great cycle, rather than a merely okay one? Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
COVID killed all of my opportunities; my only volunteer work has been at church and at a thrift store/food pantry helping the homeless for 4 years now. I now only want to do an MD and need to catch up.
Do not apply until you have a decent amount of interactive patient experience through work or volunteering and have done some (passive) physician shadowing. You will not be able to "catch up" for the upcoming application cycle. Wait at least a year.

Reactions: 2 users
August MCAT is too late
A strong August score is excellent for the next cycle, though!
It will also give OP time to do the things necessary to have something to talk about in interviews.
In contrast, a weak May score will haunt the application forever.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users