Alternative to pharmacy - yes we are qualified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustFillIt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of June of 2022:

General manager at Panda Express - 80,000 dollars per year…

Good gawd why would anyone in their right mind take student loans to go to pharmacy school..

If you are a pharmacy student after the year 2019 or so - I am going to assume that your mom dropped you on the floor, not once, but many times as a baby.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As of June of 2022:

Good gawd why would anyone in their right mind take student loans to go to pharmacy school..

If you are a pharmacy student after the year 2019 or so - I am going to assume that your mom dropped you on the floor, not once, but many times as a baby.

and I assume you get free lunch to? win-win

• Haha
As of June of 2022:

This is so true, and yet Pharmacy School rosters are filling up every year, even now. What gives? This is baffling! Don't these kids do any research or talk to anyone? Hey they deserve everything that's coming to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average base pay: $62,150
Average total pay: I don't know now, it's trying to force me to make an account. It was less than $70k though

Where are you getting $80k from?

Food service managers end up working a lot of unpaid extra hours in my experience. Plus you're still dealing with ****ty hours, customer service, and general management headaches but now with a ~$50k+ pay cut compared to pharmacy management.

Reactions: 1 user
Average total pay: I don't know now, it's trying to force me to make an account. It was less than $70k though

Food service managers end up working a lot of unpaid extra hours in my experience. Plus you're still dealing with ****ty hours, customer service, and general management headaches but now with a ~$50k+ pay cut compared to pharmacy management.

Well - somehow I got around the paywall and it actually shows that the 62k is base and the other 18+ is from what they call “extra pay”. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it means tips, bonuses, etc.

The average came out to be 82.4K yearly.

Well - somehow I got around the paywall and it actually shows that the 62k is base and the other 18+ is from what they call “extra pay”. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it means tips, bonuses, etc.

The average came out to be 82.4K yearly.
I made an account and submitted my salary to get past it. I don't know how they come up with the numbers but they do report a total average pay of ~69k. 70 vs 80 is kind of a moot point though and my previous comment was based on 80.

Screenshot_20220718-104414.png

Screenshot_20220718-104420.png

I made an account and submitted my salary to get past it. I don't know how they come up with the numbers but they do report a total average pay of ~69k. 70 vs 80 is kind of a moot point though and my previous comment was based on 80.

Yea - the additional pay is what you add. Mine shows something like 82k

New grads are getting 45-50/hr (75-80k) (source: extensive nationwide salary spreadsheets), actually lower if you account for COL, and you invest 150-200k and 6-10 years of schooling. The days of guaranteed 100k are not there, and many other professions in healthcare now pay the same or more with significantly less schooling, less debt, and without 6-10 years of schooling. There is a reason pharmacy is the worst projected profession and worst ranked in healthcare.

Last edited:
This is so true, and yet Pharmacy School rosters are filling up every year, even now. What gives? This is baffling! Don't these kids do any research or talk to anyone? Hey they deserve everything that's coming to them.
On the contrary, they can’t fill seats. Applications decreased from 73,000 to 39,000 from 2017-2021, but pharmacy schools still pushed out ~15,000 students (which explains why everyone is getting in and the Naplex rates getting worse with no bachelors, no PCAT, and 2.0 GPAs).

• Sad
New grads are getting 45-50/hr (75-80k) (source: extensive nationwide salary spreadsheets), actually lower if you account for COL, and you invest 150-200k and 6-10 years of schooling. The days of guaranteed 100k are not there, and many other professions in healthcare now pay the same or more with significantly less schooling, less debt, and without 6-10 years of schooling. There is a reason pharmacy is the worst projected profession and worst ranked in healthcare.
Agreed that pharmacy is a bad investment and appears to be getting worse. I just don't think managing a restaurant is a very good alternative.

yeah still same crappy retail hours and dealing with nasty food and people slobbering all over plates. ugh. pass. pills are so clean.

yeah still same crappy retail hours and dealing with nasty food and people slobbering all over plates. ugh. pass. pills are so clean
You’re choosing from what you have available now vs that, and the grass may seem greener. It’s less green when you are choosing between 6-10 years of school and 150-200k debt (300k isn’t uncommon after living expenses), for a smilar salary and 0 debt and giving up your youth (if there is any grass at all).

Agreed that pharmacy is a bad investment and appears to be getting worse. I just don't think managing a restaurant is a very good alternative.
In comparison to 150-200k debt (300k even), and giving up 6-10 years of youth for hard schooling, to make a very similar salary (new grads)? Not saying it’s “very good”, every job will have it’s sides, but from an investment standpoint it’s certainly better. I think saying “appears to be getting worse” is vastly underplaying the state it’s in. Every single statistics and agency responsible for projections, who have near perfect track records, indicate severe oversupply even after the mythical positions these schools have been BSing about are filled. It is ranked worst in healthcare and it’s been worst projected profession for some time. It “appeared” to be getting worse 5-7 years ago, now it’s literally the worst based on the data.

Members don't see this ad :)
In comparison to 150-200k debt (300k even), and giving up 6-10 years of youth for hard schooling, to make a very similar salary (new grads)? Not saying it’s “very good”, every job will have it’s sides, but from an investment standpoint it’s certainly better. I think saying “appears to be getting worse” is vastly underplaying the state it’s in. Every single statistics and agency responsible for projections, who have near perfect track records, indicate severe oversupply even after the mythical positions these schools have been BSing about are filled. It is ranked worst in healthcare and it’s been worst projected profession for some time. It “appeared” to be getting worse 5-7 years ago, now it’s literally the worst based on the data.
Do you have much restaurant experience? Those guys are putting in regular unpaid overtime so the hourly rate will be drastically different. Also no one is going to let an 18 year old walk in and manage a restaurant so there will be some opportunity/investment cost. Plus a degree does open up doors if you know where to look.

Taking on 250k+ of debt is dumb and will obviously be a bad financial decision unless you're going for a PSLF eligible position and won't have to worry about actually repaying it. But you can graduate pharmacy school with dramatically less.

retail pharmacy sucks, but slinging food as a fast food manager sucks as well.

retail pharmacy sucks, but slinging food as a fast food manager sucks as well.

I’m just sayin’ it’s an option. And their wages are catching up with us awfully quick.

Won’t be long before we may see this as a brighter and brighter opportunity as time goes on

Do you have much restaurant experience? Those guys are putting in regular unpaid overtime so the hourly rate will be drastically different. Also no one is going to let an 18 year old walk in and manage a restaurant so there will be some opportunity/investment cost. Plus a degree does open up doors if you know where to look.

Taking on 250k+ of debt is dumb and will obviously be a bad financial decision unless you're going for a PSLF eligible position and won't have to worry about actually repaying it. But you can graduate pharmacy school with dramatically less.
I know a few, though don’t have experience myself. They seem to be doing quite well without OT, working for Panera, with 100k+ salaries, bonuses, free car, gas, phone, etc. Obviously i’m sure there’s some having to put in extra hours as well and not having it as good, but the same can be said about pharmacy and it would be true. I’m not trying to say go be a restaurant manager, just simply emphasizing that the ROI on pharmacy is not there anymore for new grads (and can be verified by data, it’s not my personal opinion) and especially people starting today to graduate in 6-10 years with 150-200k debt (the avg US debt), to make 75-80k (even 90k if we’re generous). Picking an alternative in healthcare (i.e. PA) would result in significantly less opportunity cost, and no PAs are taking less than 100k+ bonuses, 150k + bonuses after 5 years is not uncommon. That extra 2-4 years of entering the workforce before a pharmacist would yield 200,000-400,000 extra in a new grads pocket before a pharmacist even enters the workforce. Not saying again, go be a PA, just stating what OP is, that there are alternatives requiring much less to make the same/more.

I know a few, though don’t have experience myself. They seem to be doing quite well without OT, working for Panera, with 100k+ salaries, bonuses, free car, gas, phone, etc. Obviously i’m sure there’s some having to put in extra hours as well and not having it as good, but the same can be said about pharmacy and it would be true.
The ones I know are not making 100k. By the way they talk and what I see listed, probably more like 60-70. That's straight salary. They get called in all the time and it's common for them to put in 50-60+ hours/week in the restaurant then deal with after hours texts/calls too. They don't get paid for those extra hours. So looking back at your 80k pharmacist job @32 hours/week I think pharmacy still comes out ahead.
I’m not trying to say go be a restaurant manager, just simply emphasizing that the ROI on pharmacy is not there anymore for new grads (and can be verified by data, it’s not my personal opinion) and especially people starting today to graduate in 6-10 years with 150-200k debt (the avg US debt), to make 75-80k (even 90k if we’re generous). Picking an alternative in healthcare (i.e. PA) would result in significantly less opportunity cost, and no PAs are taking less than 100k+ bonuses, 150k + bonuses after 5 years is not uncommon. That extra 2-4 years of entering the workforce before a pharmacist would yield 200,000-400,000 extra in a new grads pocket before a pharmacist even enters the workforce. Not saying again, go be a PA, just stating what OP is, that there are alternatives requiring much less to make the same/more.
Glad you got to the point that I agree with and more reasonable debt estimates though. Pharmacy ROI isn't really there any more and there are plenty of better options available. I just don't think food service is generally where you should be looking for those options.

The ones I know are not making 100k. By the way they talk and what I see listed, probably more like 60-70. That's straight salary. They get called in all the time and it's common for them to put in 50-60+ hours/week in the restaurant then deal with after hours texts/calls too. They don't get paid for those extra hours. So looking back at your 80k pharmacist job @32 hours/week I think pharmacy still comes out ahead.

Glad you got to the point that I agree with and more reasonable debt estimates though. Pharmacy ROI isn't really there any more and there are plenty of better options available. I just don't think food service is generally where you should be looking for those options.
True it does in that case, but remember that a pharmacist would have to give up 6-10 years and be 150-200k in debt, that’s significant vs 0 (wether it is comparing to restaurant management or an alternative). Absolutely, i think we’re both agreeing on the same (that the ROI isn’t there). I wasn’t suggesting to go do restaurant management, just that there are many better alternatives.

The risk/reward ratio is indeed more favorable than going to pharmacy school. At least you get paid for all the time you put in as you work your way up the chain, whereas with pharmacy school you are *paying* to waste your life. 6 years of it. And a job is very far from guaranteed.

It's not the ideal path for someone who is academically intelligent, but it's a better shot than pharmacy. For the love of all that's holy, don't go to pharmacy school. I'm saying that for me as well as you.

I honestly hope customer service work like this eventually gets to six figures. Anyone who works hard at a job deserves good pay.

The risk/reward ratio is indeed more favorable than going to pharmacy school. At least you get paid for all the time you put in as you work your way up the chain, whereas with pharmacy school you are *paying* to waste your life. 6 years of it. And a job is very far from guaranteed.

It's not the ideal path for someone who is academically intelligent, but it's a better shot than pharmacy. For the love of all that's holy, don't go to pharmacy school. I'm saying that for me as well as you.

I gotta agree with this. 7-8 years of lost wages, and then to have to dig yourself out of a 200k hole is an atrocious opportunity in comparison to making 70-80k tossing walnut shrimp in a wok at Panda Express.

I would guess that someone intelligent and diligent could work their way to store manager in a year or two.

• Okay...
I was watching some videos on TikTok/Instagram about how much healthcare professionals make and they throw out the number $150k for pharmacists. Those social media influencers then conclude that pharmacy is a “rewarding” career. To me that sounds like a great salary for 4 years of grad school, no residency. Any truth to that?

• Okay...
I was watching some videos on TikTok/Instagram about how much healthcare professionals make and they throw out the number $150k for pharmacists. Those social media influencers then conclude that pharmacy is a “rewarding” career. To me that sounds like a great salary for 4 years of grad school, no residency. Any truth to that?
I make 175k. I am in the 95th percentile probably (in my area). And anybody who wants wants to work in a hospital probably needed a 1-2 year residency. And most people who work retail (70% of new grad) will make $55 ish an hour on average and only get 32 hours

0. New grad rates are ~45-50/hr (75-80k with 28-32 hrs). It’s also the worst projected, and last ranked profession in healthcare. These influencer did a google search and are very disconnected from reality.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got a pay raise to $60.55/hr. First time my pay has increased since 2016. That puts me around $126k/year.