Alternative Schedule for Boards Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielblank313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, been brainstorming with some studying materials and schedules. Just finished up my last final of first year yesterday and have been teasing out some plans for the summer and next year for boards prep. I've been thinking of doing a condensed version of boards prep for second year due to P/F step 1. Situation for me is like this, I should have AnKing matured late November through December, though likely earlier if I keep up my current pace. Finished sketchy pharm/micro and a first pass through Pathoma. Thinking about going through USMLE-Rx this summer and teasing more details through BNB.

I'm a little ahead in terms of boards material somewhat accidentally as I really love Anki and most third party resources align perfectly with my courses and preps me well for exams. I've been thinking maybe it's worth it to start UWorld once I mature AnKing. I mean, all I need to do is pass, why save UWorld for the very end? In dedicated I can do a second pass, do practice exams and I think it would be fine but I would love any input on this.

In the meantime however, there's a large gap of time between where I would conservatively finish UWorld first pass and dedicated, so my question is, would it be worth it to start Step 2 material? Perhaps I can use OnlineMedEd, or other Step 2 resources to start taking down the Step 2 deck, leaving the Step 1 deck unsuspended. I don't think burnout from Anki is realistic for me just because of how much I enjoy it personally but again open to any input. Perhaps I'm absolutely crazy for even considering it, but just keeping an open mind in case there might be a better way to approach studying in my era of step exams.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
if youre really suggesting studying step 2 material before you have even started second year let alone taken step 1 you need to really re evaluate

Reactions: 1 user
if youre really suggesting studying step 2 material before you have even started second year let alone taken step 1 you need to really re evaluate
That's why I'm asking, totally possible this is a ridiculous idea! Pretty much not worth it unless youre going through rotations?

Edit: I should say, I only mean starting anything related to Step 2 AFTER I've finished step 1 material, gone through UWorld early (if that is a good/bad idea) and feel fairly confident I'd pass which would probably be around february.

Last edited:
That's why I'm asking, totally possible this is a ridiculous idea! Pretty much not worth it unless youre going through rotations?

Edit: I should say, I only mean starting anything related to Step 2 AFTER I've finished step 1 material, gone through UWorld early (if that is a good/bad idea) and feel fairly confident I'd pass which would probably be around february.
i am only taking step 1 now, but i would focus on passing step 1 first, as typically the best way to know you will do well on step 2 is to do well on step 1, last thing you want is to try and get ahead and fail step 1, wait until after you take step 1 to even loo at step 2 material

Reactions: 1 users