alternative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aliasxyz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do the words "alternative", "complementary" and "integrative" medicine all have the same concept? What is it really about, and is preventive medicine the same thing or different? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that usually those top three words are used in the same way, although it probably depends on who you talk to. When I think I alternative medicine, complementary medicine, etc. I think some modality that is not related to western allopathic medicine that is used to combat disease. A good example is Chiropractic. Chiropractic (of the straight flavor) believes that if you manipulate the spine you can cure disease. That is a alternative treatment in the disease model.

Preventive Medicine, according to me, is something done to increase the potential of the human body to fight disease. In the Disease+Host=Illnesss model of Osteopathy, it would be the Host component. That would include anything from Diet, Exercise, OMT, Psychotherapy, maybe even Asprin therapy to some extent, etc. Pretty much anthing that does not attack a pathological problem but rather strengthens the host in which pathology can reside would be termed Preventive Medicine in my book.

Later. :)

Alternative Medicine is used as an alternative to standard medical practices.

Complementary Medicine is used along with standard medical practices (to complement them).

Integrative Medicine is integrating several different practices or therapies into one treatment regimen.

Preventive Medicine is care given prior to the developtment of a disease state in order to maintain health and prevent illness.

Thanks for your responses. They are very helpful!
So what does a Preventive Medicine doctor do on a daily basis? Anyone know?