Alternative Careers in Canada for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends and colleques, if anyone can give some informations overseas.

What can a foreign medical graduate work in Canada without licence.

I guess jobs like : Medical Sales Representative
Researcher, but I am not sure at all
Just guess !!!

Thanks for any infos

Members don't see this ad.

Yes Geimsa, I`ve seen that web site! Thanks

But, is it true?

Do you know any IMG working as a sales rep in Canada?
What people do until thay pass the exams and make their dream come true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know any IMG working as a sales rep in Canada?

No, I don't.

What people do until thay pass the exams and make their dream come true?

I've met some IMGs who did grad school, applied to a Canadian med school, then did a Canadian residency. I met one person who did a Masters and then a PhD and then was accepted in a residency program. My autopsy TA in med school was an IMG from Ireland, but I think she went back to Ireland eventually.

OK thanks. So !
What can IMG work in Canada without licence to practice medicine ?

I still can not figure it out !

Please if there are some colleques, to give some advices and infos.

Thanks

OK thanks. So !
What can IMG work in Canada without licence to practice medicine ?

I still can not figure it out !

Please if there are some colleques, to give some advices and infos.

Thanks

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
1. What is your specialty?

2. Where did you do your residency?

3. You passed the board/licensing exams in which country?

4. Which province are you located in at present?

5. What useful skills do you have? (e.g. business experience, keyboarding, customer service, etc.)

1. What is your specialty?
Medical Doctor- general practitioner from EU country

2. Where did you do your residency?
no residency. I work 1 year in Emergency department, and have experience like phramaceutical sales representative in one EU country.

3. You passed the board/licensing exams in which country?
I have EU licence to practice.

4. Which province are you located in at present?
interested in Quebec or Ontario

5. What useful skills do you have? (e.g. business experience, keyboarding, customer service, etc.)
emergency department and sales rep.

I know how to get the licence. I am looking for alternative jobs in Canada.

I have very little familiarity with UK degrees, so I'm not the best person to advise you.

However, I think there might be a couple of options you could pursue.

To the best of my understanding, people can become licensed as PAs via the PACC if they complete the PA Integration Program in Ontario. This would enable you to work as a PA (physician's assistant) in Ontario.

This is the link - you may want to call them to ask about this opportunity.

If you haven't already, call Health Force Ontario's IMG Access Centre and see what they have to say. If you are living in Ontario, they offer help with medical licensing, finding employment in other fields, and education.

To work in Quebec (in the context of health care) you need to be fluent in French, so I'm assuming that you are. In that case, you may want to look into New Brunswick, Quebec's neighbour to the east. This province is perennially underserved, and if you could communicate in French and English you'd probably be a catch as a family doctor - they might be willing to bend some rules for you. Contact them here.

Quebec has it's own system of licensing and exams (it operates a lot like it's own country), which I, not speaking any French, know nothing about. But this is the link to their information page.

You may also want to consider other perennially underserved/rural locations, since these health authorities tend to be more willing to work with you to get you licensed (licensing is controlled by the provinces, and in general the more desperate a province is for family docs, the looser its licensing requirements will be). Try Newfoundland; as I understand it they have recruited a fair number of IMGs.

Lastly, there are a number of jobs in the hospital that one could consider if all else fails. At least where I'm at, these tend to be filled by Canadian students who did med school abroad, but weren't able to match into a postgraduate (residency) training program.
1) Accessioning in the lab (sorting the incoming specimens)
2) Transcriptionists (few people can type fast enough, however)
3) Smaller hospitals may hire people with needle experience as phlebotomists without requiring them to have the requisite training degree
4) Porter
5) Teaching assistant at the local medical school (e.g. anatomy demonstrator)

Pharmaceutical representative jobs are here.

That's all I have at the top of my head - maybe someone else has some ideas. This topic gets discussed a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Geimsa

PA its OK.

what else can a medical graduate work exept practice medicine ?
in canada.

Thanks a lot Geimsa

PA its OK.

what else can a medical graduate work exept practice medicine ?
in canada.

Unfortunately, if you don't practice medicine your medical degree is pretty much worthless.

Look into jobs in the hospital (lab accessioning, porter, maybe phlebotomist). However, a lot of these technologist jobs have their own requisite training/exams/licensure, particularly in larger cities. But I had a job as a phlebotomist (many years ago) in a little two-horse mining town waaaay up North with nothing but a BSc, so that's definitely a possibility.

Also check into pharmaceutical rep jobs - some of them only seem to require a bachelor's degree and the gift of gab.

Also apply with the local medical school as a teaching assistant; in my school they hired IMGs to demonstrate anatomy, etc.

Plus, check the local want ads for all the non-medical jobs - there are a pretty good number right now. They won't use your medical training, but maybe you can put your sales experience to use.

Lastly, there are a number of jobs in the hospital that one could consider if all else fails. At least where I'm at, these tend to be filled by Canadian students who did med school abroad, but weren't able to match into a postgraduate (residency) training program.
1) Accessioning in the lab (sorting the incoming specimens)
2) Transcriptionists (few people can type fast enough, however)
3) Smaller hospitals may hire people with needle experience as phlebotomists without requiring them to have the requisite training degree
4) Porter
5) Teaching assistant at the local medical school
/
/
This is so Canadian and so sad....that NAACP advertisement in the US that "a mind is a terrible thing to waste" comes to mind.
Due to Canadian regulators being inflexible, rigid and obdurate these young minds must be bitter. Can you imagine being a freakin Porter or sorting fecal specimens after completing medical school? No wonder people treat Canada as a doormat on the way to a better life in the US.

What I can't believe is that it keeps happening.

Surely everyone in the English or French speaking world must realize that Canada's regulatory authorities are the strictest in the known Universe, but MDs from St. Elsewhere still keep coming. Like they expect to be the exception to the rule.

Is it just insane optimism, or is there somebody out there lying to them?

I bring up the lying thing because I heard the CaRMS talk that was given to one of the Caribbean schools, and that was 1000 cc sunshine PR.

Without any post-graduate training beyond medical school you would not meet the standard to work in canada even if you passed the exam. There is no "general practice" equivalent in Canada - family medicine is its own 2 year residency. At the very least you would have to pass your exam and then apply thru CaRMS for a residency spot.

Apart from the jobs listed there is really nothing else you can do with an unrecognized, unlicenced foreign medical degree.

Sorry.

What I can't believe is that it keeps happening.

Surely everyone in the English or French speaking world must realize that Canada's regulatory authorities are the strictest in the known Universe, but MDs from St. Elsewhere still keep coming. Like they expect to be the exception to the rule.

Is it just insane optimism, or is there somebody out there lying to them?

I do not expect to arive in Canada and be a doctor .

I just want to find nice ,stressless and satisfactory job .
I am working as a Medical Doctor in Europe and
I will be very happy to find some job in the field in Canada.

I have heard that people (FMG) work in Canada in some alternative jobs as:

1.Sonographer ( I`ve research this and came up that I need to go 1 year in a school for that) I hope someone can tell me some other way to become a Sonographer or Ultrasound Tech. need more info

2.Medical Sales Reps. ( basicly no additional schools is needed ) but do not know some IMG working as this. Please give some real info if anyone have.

3. Clinical Research : need advices or infos for getting a job in research

ect. I will write again later.

Thanks a lot Geimsa and others
please give your advices

I do not expect to arive in Canada and be a doctor .

I just want to find nice ,stressless and satisfactory job .
I am working as a Medical Doctor in Europe and
I will be very happy to find some job in the field in Canada.

I have heard that people (FMG) work in Canada in some alternative jobs as:

1.Sonographer ( I`ve research this and came up that I need to go 1 year in a school for that) I hope someone can tell me some other way to become a Sonographer or Ultrasound Tech. need more info

You're correct - most jobs will require certification with the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals, and, consequently, successful completion of an approved Diagnostic Ultrasound Program.

2.Medical Sales Reps. ( basicly no additional schools is needed ) but do not know some IMG working as this. Please give some real info if anyone have.

Start simple - workopolis and monster and the like (http://www.salesrep.ca/Default.aspx, http://www.jobbank.gc.ca). You have some sales experience, right? You could theoretically apply for all these jobs. Apply widely.

3. Clinical Research : need advices or infos for getting a job in research

I don't have much experience in clinical research. This sort of thing is likely conducted through your local academic University (whichever one that is) - try contacting their human resources department for a job listing (for example, if it's the U of T, just google their website for human resources, and give them a call).

Are you a Canadian citizen/permanent resident? Most (if not all) of these jobs will be limited to Canadians.

Last edited:
Yes. PR

Is there anyone who can help with ultrasound info.

Is it a shortcut for Foreign medical doctors to become Ultrasound Techs in Canada.

By the website "The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)", I founded that MD or DO from outside USA or Canada can sit the exam to get the licence if
1.they have 12 months ultrasound full time work experince (how can someone have experience if he do not have the right to work as that)???
or

2.Formal Training
—Attendance of an accredited residency or fellowship that
includes didactic and clinical ultrasound/vascular experience as an integral

part of the program,
The applicant must be able to document clinical experience with a minimum of
800 studies in the area in which he/she is are applying for.

Can anyone help me with the second option? what is 800 studies, probably hours but I can not figure it out, how long is going to take and what exactly I have to do !