Alternate Plans: Grad School, Internship, or...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoleDevil

Iowa State CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, while I'm trying to remain positive about the schools I have yet to hear from, I'm also being realistic and have some back-up plans in case I don't get accepted. The obvious back-up plan would be to pursue grad school. However, I've discovered some really interesting zoological internships for the upcoming summer/fall.

My conundrum (should I not get into vet school this year) is that I don't know whether I should apply for an internship for summer/fall 2008, apply for grad school for spring 2008, and re-apply for vet school for 2009 OR just apply for an internship for summer/fall 2008 and re-apply for vet school for 2009 without considering grad school. To be completely honest, my GRE scores aren't that great and it would be really difficult for me to get into a grad program because of them, since most grad programs have minimum requirements. I really don't want to pursue grad school, unless it's in pathology (which is what I want to go into), but my GRE is not good enough for most grad pathology programs. I might need to get a grad degree eventually since I'm considering pathology, but I think I could kill 2 birds with one stone and complete it during a residency after vet school. My GPA is competitive, however, and I have a good amount of animal experience (small animal, avian, and some aquatics), so I don't know if pursuing an internship would be unnecessary since I have good amount of experience. I guess I would really have to talk to someone on the adcom about the weak points in my application and see what they suggest.

Any constructive comments are welcome! Also, feel free to share your alternate plans. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely you'll want to talk to admissions at the school(s) from which you were rejected. They can give you extremely useful info for next application cycle, so you'll know where to focus your efforts to make your app stronger. If you really want to do vet path, why not just talk to the adcoms, retake the GRE and reapply? :)

I'd also talk to admissions folks at grad programs that you'd be interested in. I have no idea about path programs, but I actually have gotten the sense (from my experience and that of many other people) that grad school (other than vet and med programs) aren't really that hard to get into. Maybe that's just a relative statement, though.;) But I have seen some grad programs be really flexible with people...they have much more freedom to decide how to do things. In fact, in my grad program, the director waived the GREs entirely for some folks. He had an agenda of growing the program and didn't really think those applicants needed to jump through that particular hoop.

So I would definitely contact folks in charge of those programs. You never know what you might find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd retake the GRE and get some large animal experience for both food animal and equine. Almost everyone in my class had at least a little bit (meaning 50-100+ hours) of large animal experience even if they didn't want to go into it. You may not want anything to do with it in the future, but if you applied to schools that wish to increase their food animal pool (they all know about the food animal vet shortage), it would be something I would do. If you're interested in zoo type stuff, large animal will also be a good hands on experience for large hoofstock animals that can be very unpredictable and fractious. And you may find that you really like it! Pathology and food animal medicine is a pretty big deal too, especially for public health. If you really wanted to do graduate school, perhaps an Masters in Public Health would appeal to you.

If you want to do pathology, but don't want to necessarily do a grad program that will keep you out of the pool for another year, why don't you see if you can get hired as a research assistant in a lab? That will definitely bring something to your resume. Also, I second retaking the GRE, possibly after a class and doing a post-mortem at the schools you're interested in for next year--and maybe even the other schools.

I have no idea about path programs, but I actually have gotten the sense (from my experience and that of many other people) that grad school (other than vet and med programs) aren't really that hard to get into.

This may be true for Masters programs, but many good PhD programs are just as selective as vet school and med school. Remember, for a PhD most often they will fund you, so they are making a very large investment when they decide to accept you into the program.

I guess this year I'll have a side by side comparison - I applied both to the DVM here at UCD and the PhD in Genetics. :p

This may be true for Masters programs, but many good PhD programs are just as selective as vet school and med school. Remember, for a PhD most often they will fund you, so they are making a very large investment when they decide to accept you into the program.

I guess this year I'll have a side by side comparison - I applied both to the DVM here at UCD and the PhD in Genetics. :p

That is true about PhD programs, and I in no way meant to belittle any of it...it's still hard work! But I do know that some fields (maybe not life science fields) sometimes have a bit of trouble getting enough people in to fill all the positions they have funding for.

many other people) that grad school (other than vet and med programs) aren't really that hard to get into.

Hah. Funny. I applied to 4 graduate programs (going into research and didn't know if I wanted to do PhD or DVM/VMD first). To give you an example, Tufts is interviewing 22 people for 3 spots. Harvard Virology interviewed 20-some for about 6 spots. Their Integrated Life Sciences program (under which Virology exists) gets around 2000 applicants and 162 are admitted (17%). VT had 160 applicants for their graduate program. Hopkins gets ~200? applicants, interviews ~60, makes offers to around 25. MIT Biology gets around 550 applicants and takes a class of 30-35.

Does it still seem easy?

Hah. Funny. I applied to 4 graduate programs (going into research and didn't know if I wanted to do PhD or DVM/VMD first). To give you an example, Tufts is interviewing 22 people for 3 spots. Harvard Virology interviewed 20-some for about 6 spots. Their Integrated Life Sciences program (under which Virology exists) gets around 2000 applicants and 162 are admitted (17%). VT had 160 applicants for their graduate program. Hopkins gets ~200? applicants, interviews ~60, makes offers to around 25. MIT Biology gets around 550 applicants and takes a class of 30-35.

Does it still seem easy?

You're talking about some really competitive programs--Tufts, Harvard, Hopkins, MIT. Not all programs are as competitive as the ones you listed. There are a LOT of schools in this country. I also was talking more about masters programs than PhD programs. Ease up...I'm not trying to belittle anything. Because in no way do I think the quality of the program can be determined simply from how hard it is to be admitted. I'm just trying to give some perspective to someone who may be interested in a smaller, less competitive graduate program just to get their feet wet in a field and accumulate some additional upper division course work to prove what they can do.

It also depends on the nature of the master's program. The year after I started my masters in biology (at Missouri, one of the few public universities with a research 1 designation...very much research driven), they didn't accept a single masters applicant. Only PhD, as that's what they had the funds for.

I kind of wish they could differentiate better between a thesis and non-thesis masters programs with a different name or something. Our masters program in biology is considered like a mini PhD: 2-3 years (sometimes more!) and a research-driven thesis. It's not a dinky earn an MBA online in 1.5 years kinda thing by taking a few more classes. :rolleyes:

Does it still seem easy?

I'd also like to point out that these percentages, though impressive (as they should be for top-tier schools), still aren't the 10% acceptance rate at most veterinary colleges. VAgirl never said it was easy!

(And FWIW, because I know she's far too humble to say anything, she holds an MS from a top-tier school, so her opinion/analysis is VERY educated.) :)

Just putting my $.02 in, but there is a one-year couse-work based program at my state school that gives you a masters in biomedical sciences. Its not a super impressive addition to a resume (it's not MIT or anything), but I definitely think it would help show adcoms that you're able to handle upper division courses. Plus, since it's only a one year (no thesis) program, you could still apply to vet school for the next cycle and not lose any time (and have a master's degree to boot). Just a thought. I found out about it by calling up the departments here and asking about any one-year master's programs they had avalible. There were quite a few, including a course-work based master's in Physiology...

I'd also like to point out that these percentages, though impressive (as they should be for top-tier schools), still aren't the 10% acceptance rate at most veterinary colleges. VAgirl never said it was easy!

(And FWIW, because I know she's far too humble to say anything, she holds an MS from a top-tier school, so her opinion/analysis is VERY educated.) :)

How are 6% and 12% not like 10%? I'm giving fairly rough estimates here and likely the applicant numbers are higher. Sorry, but getting into a good PhD program is no easier than getting into a good vet school. I'm not personally offended or anything, but it's a little obnoxious to say you're going to apply to grad school if you don't get into vet (assuming you would leave the program if you get into vet the next year...MAJOR no-no from grad schools btw).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but getting into a good PhD program is no easier than getting into a good vet school. I'm not personally offended or anything, but it's a little obnoxious to say you're going to apply to grad school if you don't get into vet (assuming you would leave the program if you get into vet the next year...MAJOR no-no from grad schools btw).

I'm glad you're not personally offended, because I'm not either. Let's keep the convo friendly. :)

I think the missing piece here is that few if any people are talking about applying to a PhD program as a backup to vet school unless they're trying an alternate route in life entirely (or a very long detour). I could be wrong. But I really think if anyone is planning on doing grad school to come around for another go at vet school, they're talking a Masters program, and mostly likely a non-thesis one so it doesn't pull them off into a different direction for too long.

And I would like to again throw out the idea that not everyone is going to be looking to get into a competitive program (let alone a competitive PhD program) and I think therein lies the disagreement we're having. I've never applied to a competitive PhD program, so I'll defer to you on that. But I think it would be a gross injustice to have people looking for viable backup plans come away from here thinking that getting into a grad program, any grad program they could possible be interested in, is as hard to get into as vet school. It just isn't. Some programs might be, sure I'll believe it. But not all. And if we really want to quibble anecdotally based off of our own experiences, I at least know that one program in this whole big country is not incredibly hard to get into, because I was in it. Which, I hope, will help support my claim that I'm not belittling programs simply because they're not like Fort Knox to get into. It was a good program, but 1000x easier to get into than vet school. (Well, ok, I don't know the actual multiplier, but it was a lot easier to get into.;))

Phew, ok, that was my point. :)

I guess if I don't get in to OK state, I'll apply one more year (3rd time). After that, I'd keep teaching and get my Ntl' Board certification to add a lot to my teaching salary and continue to rescue all the little critters that come my way.

But damn, I'd rather be the vet :(

Just putting my $.02 in, but there is a one-year couse-work based program at my state school that gives you a masters in biomedical sciences. Its not a super impressive addition to a resume (it's not MIT or anything), but I definitely think it would help show adcoms that you're able to handle upper division courses. Plus, since it's only a one year (no thesis) program, you could still apply to vet school for the next cycle and not lose any time (and have a master's degree to boot). Just a thought. I found out about it by calling up the departments here and asking about any one-year master's programs they had avalible. There were quite a few, including a course-work based master's in Physiology...

Would you mind telling me what school you are talking about? I would love to get my masters if I don't get in this round, but most are several years and I want to reapply to vet school right away. Thanks!

With the stats I had last year, I did not get into any vet schools, but not only did I get into my local university's PhD program, they had me come in for a day of interviews with all the medical science departments, so each could try to recruit me for their program, not to mention offers of free tuition and 24$ a year in salary, with no commitments to teach or work. When I decided to try vet school one more year, I called to turn them down, and they were so desperate to keep me they let me defer a year just so I didn't have to apply again and would come there if I was rejected.

So, they are not all that competitive.

PS. and they are my plan B. It is not the dream, but it is still pretty ok, and leaving school not in horrendous debt and with a more lucrative degree (I am planning to do the PhD in Pharmacology so I can wh@re myself out to the drug companies) has it's attractions.

I don't know whether I should apply for an internship for summer/fall 2008, apply for grad school for spring 2008, and re-apply for vet school for 2009 OR just apply for an internship for summer/fall 2008 and re-apply for vet school for 2009 without considering grad school. To be completely honest, my GRE scores aren't that great and it would be really difficult for me to get into a grad program because of them, since most grad programs have minimum requirements.

My thoughts.. #1) Get advice from a few Adcoms who reviewed your application. Identify weaknesses from their perspective.

If your vet experience is solid and your GRE and/or upper division academics are dragging your application down then an internship would be a waste of your time (if your goal is eventually a DVM). If grades are competitive and the vet experience is below average an internship makes a lot of sense.

If it's the GRE.. invest some time and effort into boosting that. If your upper division science or overall GPA are holding you back, time spent in a graduate program will prove you are better than your GPA.

Take advantage of the free file reviews and listen to what they say.. If you talk to more than one you will likely hear different things so don't be frustrated. Good luck!

p.s. A graduate degree will help you when you apply for internships and residencies down the road!

Would you mind telling me what school you are talking about? I would love to get my masters if I don't get in this round, but most are several years and I want to reapply to vet school right away. Thanks!

Sure, basically what I did is I called up the graduate department at CSU and flat out asked them which programs offered in biology/physiology...etc, could be completed in one year. They told me about a few of them, and gave me contact info for each department. The one that looked the best to me was in biomedical sciences. They key is that you have to enroll in a course-work only master's program with no thesis..most of them are roughly 30-36 credit hours worth of classes. There are a few of them out there. I'd call up your alma madder and find out what programs they have available. Hope this helps!!

Sure, basically what I did is I called up the graduate department at CSU and flat out asked them which programs offered in biology/physiology...etc, could be completed in one year. They told me about a few of them, and gave me contact info for each department. The one that looked the best to me was in biomedical sciences. They key is that you have to enroll in a course-work only master's program with no thesis..most of them are roughly 30-36 credit hours worth of classes. There are a few of them out there. I'd call up your alma madder and find out what programs they have available. Hope this helps!!

At CSU I think that 1-year masters has a nickname - "Plan B" and they
suggest it to vet school applicants who didn't make it the first time.

I applied to vet school twice right out of undergrad and didn't get in (low GPA + a poor interview in round 1). So I worked in clinics for a while and then applied to MS programs in genetics. Watch out, though, because if you're like me, you may find you really like plan B! It turned out I love research, and my ego was on the floor after the vet school rejections, so it took me several years to reapply to vet school. I'm sure my MS helped me though! If you do get a Master's, be prepared that 1) in my field, an MS is generally viewed as a glorified BS, and not the mini-PhD I felt it had been, and 2) some people will ask you if you started out intending to get a Master's or if you started out on a PhD track and failed/hit a road bump/whatever. I was surprised to have potential employers ask me this!
In my experience, a research-oriented Master's is a good way to demonstrate that you can handle higher-level science courses to reapply for vet school. It is also a good way to get a lot of research experience. But if you want to stay in research, an MS is not a good long-term career move, assuming you want to rise above a lab technician or lab manager.

FWIW, I applied to three MS programs in one year, and was accepted to all three. I applied 3 time to multiple vet schools, and was accepted to one school once. I think VA girl's point is an excellent one: if you want to go to grad school, you can in all likelihood get in somewhere in your chosen field. If you want to go to vet school, your options are a lot more limited.

To be honest, I would rather do a one-year masters -- paying tuition to not work towards a degree is not something I can readily afford. Especially as I got good grades in the classes listed for the first year -- it's the intro chem/orgo that brought my GPA down. However, if biochem/physio/etc were classes you could improve your gpa in, then this might be a good decision. It would be up to your particular application.

Take a look at the one year program at tulane in cell biology. Course intensive, AND you get a masters. Unless philly is the area you want to be in ....

Anybody have any thoughts on this alternate route?
http://www.drexelmed.edu/PostBaccPr...icalScienceVMSProgram/tabid/1099/Default.aspx
Any takers? or no?
Any feedback would be appreciated~

If you're doing file reviews or whatever they're called with the schools that you weren't admitted to, I'd ask them specifically about this program. Maybe even bring some print outs of the basic information on the program or be prepared to speak in detail about it in case they're not familiar with it. It seems like they'd be the best ones to tell you whether or not that seemed like a good idea for making yourself a better candidate.

Also, maybe FlyOnTheWall, Weazlebub, JulieDVM or some of the other folks who are/have been on adcoms can give you their opinions on this program.

Anybody have any thoughts on this alternate route?
http://www.drexelmed.edu/PostBaccPr...icalScienceVMSProgram/tabid/1099/Default.aspx
Any takers? or no?
Any feedback would be appreciated~

The program looks a lot like some of the non-thesis plan B Master's degree programs out there. These programs specifically target the pre-med/pre-vet students with borderline GPA's. It looks like a great way to prove you can handle the PVM curriculum. If bad early GPA's are your problem and you plan to work your butt off getting good grades this seems like a good choice. I know it's physically close to Penn..

but I'd look to see what some of the PennWees think of Drexel? Cyril?

Does anyone know someone with a great app otherwise, besides a low GPA, that kicked a&& in a Master's Plan B program but still didn't get into vet school? Thanks

The program looks a lot like some of the non-thesis plan B Master's degree programs out there. These programs specifically target the pre-med/pre-vet students with borderline GPA's. It looks like a great way to prove you can handle the PVM curriculum. If bad early GPA's are your problem and you plan to work your butt off getting good grades this seems like a good choice. I know it's physically close to Penn..

but I'd look to see what some of the PennWees think of Drexel? Cyril?

I know someone definitely brought this program up last year, so there may be someone on this board that knows about it from personal experience (or I may be remembering completely wrong). Does anyone else remember the thread from last year?

If you do get a Master's, be prepared that 1) in my field, an MS is generally viewed as a glorified BS, and not the mini-PhD I felt it had been, and 2) some people will ask you if you started out intending to get a Master's or if you started out on a PhD track and failed/hit a road bump/whatever. I was surprised to have potential employers ask me this!

Yes, thanks for again bringing this up again!!! They really need to differentiate between what's essentially a year or so of post bacc classes versus 2-3+ years of research, teaching, upper level classes, and thesis writing. They may have a masters degree, but I'm not so sure if they will know how to do things like read a journal article critically...or write one for that matter! That kind of stuff is just not taught in undergrad to the level you need to know it in "real" grad school. I'm not saying it's not something to try to do, but I would prefer it called something different. *shrug*

The program looks a lot like some of the non-thesis plan B Master's degree programs out there. These programs specifically target the pre-med/pre-vet students with borderline GPA's. It looks like a great way to prove you can handle the PVM curriculum.
Take a look at the non-trad forum, and maybe also the re-applicant forum, do a search on "special masters" (I think that's what they're called in the med world). My memory is that a lot of these special masters/formal post-bacc programs are either phenomenally expensive or have very strict entrance requirements (specifically for minority/disadvantaged/etc., or you can't have done *any* of the prereq courses yet...). But please don't just believe me on that!

I'm actually looking into applying potentially for a research-driven one year masters. Doing my thesis now (undergrad) I know what it takes to complete a PhD; and while I do know that my research won't be as involved as it takes to get a PhD, neither do I think it wouldn't be grad school -- it is, after all, school after I've graduated.

Regarding kate_g's comment: The two programs I've looked at (Northwestern and Tulane) specifically say you MUST have your prereq's out of the way, and ready to apply to a prof. or grad program afterwards. I'm sure of programs like what you've described exist ... I'm just putting out the names of some that aren't like that.

Does anyone know someone with a great app otherwise, besides a low GPA, that kicked a&& in a Master's Plan B program but still didn't get into vet school? Thanks

Yes. There are no guarantees.

<---- and I didn't have a low GPA. It was 3.4 (last 45 hours are a litle higher)

I knew 3.4 isn't higher iether, but I don't think it's low.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
I hadn't thought of going for a 1-yr masters, but I'll certainly look into that. I suppose these things do tend to be quite expensive....I can't see an end in sight to paying off my student loans anyway....add on vet school - whoo! in debt for life =P

I'm actually looking into applying potentially for a research-driven one year masters. Doing my thesis now (undergrad) I know what it takes to complete a PhD; and while I do know that my research won't be as involved as it takes to get a PhD, neither do I think it wouldn't be grad school -- it is, after all, school after I've graduated.

Where is there a program that you can do a true research driven one year masters? For our masters in biology, you had to do 30 hours of classes plus a thesis. Doing 15 hours of graduate level classes (which is about the same difficulty wise and hours wise as what was is in vet school) a semester plus a full masters research project would definitely not have been feasible in one year. A lot of folks don't even have a tiny part time job in vet school. I wouldn't dream of running my own experiment in vet school. My research for my masters was as involved intensity wise as a PhD and I did the same sorts of projects that the other PhD students in my lab did (sometimes even more :rolleyes:). Just 3 years of it instead of 5-6.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it if you can find it, but writing a thesis for undergrad (I wrote one for my religious studies degree and I also got departmental honors for doing research as an undergrad in biology) was not near to the same level as in grad school for a masters.

Electrophile: the program was at Northwestern; I guess its not a "true" masters as you define it, because we take two courses per quarter and then do research. They describe the thesis as:
"At the beginning of the program each student selects a research adviser whose scientific interests match his or her own. Research takes the form of an independent laboratory project, completed in approximately 3-4 quarters of study. Each student is required to present the results of his or her research in the form of a written thesis to a faculty committee. A thesis presentation to the committee and oral examination are also required.
Students typically defend their thesis in early summer and receive their degrees in December. In exceptional cases, students may defend in May and receive their degree in June."

So I would say it might fulfill your "real" research, but maybe not the matching coursework. And I agree, your requirements for a masters would not be possible to complete in a year. This is a program specifically designed for pre-professionals who want more research experience.

Every degree from every school is different. Your degree required more work, and your transcript reflects that. I'm just looking for something to do for a year if I don't get in, and getting a masters sounded like a good idea. :) to be honest, I'm really hoping I don't have to go this route.

Also -- in my earlier post, I wasn't trying to imply that I am doing the same work for a masters to get my honors thesis, merely that I've been exposed to it, and know the time and dedication required. I applaud you for your efforts, it seemed like you worked really hard to earn your degree.

Hmmm...the only way I could think of a fast enough research project is if you try an in vitro type project perhaps? There was just no way we could have done any sort of quick and dirty study on mice start to finish.

I remember we'd have occasional undergrads try to do something called the Life Science Undergraduate Research Opportunity (or "L-S-U-ROP" as we called it, hehe). They'd get a couple months of summer to do a project and then do a poster presentation by the end. The kids in the cell bio and molecular departments could usually whip something up and finish it within a month or so. Anything with animals (especially when you have to get them pregnant and all that jazz) took much longer. Invariably, the undergrads who tried to do it in our lab frantically tried to finish in time and pretty much never made it. :laugh: They usually ended up having to just present one of the grad students' side projects that they may have helped on. :rolleyes: So nice idea in theory, but in practice, it worked a lot better in some labs than others. So the ironic thing is...being a pre-vet, you probably want to have hands on animal experience in the lab (which is totally understandable, I greatly preferred mouse work than assay work!), but in that short of time frame, it may be a crunch to get it all planned unless the adviser you select pretty much has a project pre-ordained for you.

No, I know full well the problems of working in the mouse model. I'm trying to do a 20 week oncogenic papilloma protocol in my KO mice, and we don't see the phenotype until PD60 or so ... so that's a month for mating, two for phenotype and five more for the treatments. Of course, that's assuming that I get enough pups, and they all live through treatments (we had some anesthesia problems) and .... well, I'm sure you understand :) I was hoping for the preordained project; my guess is it will be something in vitro/vivo. By that, I mean harvesting "samples" of some nature and doing analysis (i.e. staining or something) from there. Mostly culture/lab work, but with some animal involved. But then again, I could be completely off base. That's why I'm slightly leaning a bit towards the class-based one year at tulane -- but i've already taken a lot of those classes, so .... i'm so confused :( but thanks for your vastly more experienced input!

PS: At Cornell, we have a Hughes Scholar Program that is pretty much what you described -- research over the summer w. a poster presentation; I didn't even apply, because my PI goes, "Umm, Caroline, you'll only be half done with ANY of your data, except some PCR you're running for [a grad student]". So that person presenting the grad-student's side project would have been me! :)

I may apply for a grad program in statistics while I apply for vet school next year. I think the only thing that would hold me back from getting into vet school is not enough full-time school in recent years showing I can "do it". So, if I do statistics, I do something I'm interested in and at the end of it I can make the decision to apply to vet school (again) or pursue the other career. I'd prefer to be a vet.

First off, good luck this year isn't over yet! Second, I took a year off in order to boost my application. I think that if you apply for these internships and programs they can only strengthen your application. Although a lot of your app will stay the same (since it is due by October), you can explain yourself and your dedication that year to improve your app. Plus, dont forget to ask the schools why you did not get in. If they say do a grad program...wel then thats your answer. If not, then try the internships and such. Either they will get you into vet school, or they will spark a new passion completely different. In any case, I wish you luck!

I'll be earning a second B.S. and strengthening my application, since grad school or taking a year off just didn't seem right for me.

How are you earning a second BS? Do most of your credits from the first count? I'm 95% positive we can't do this at my school, so I'm just wondering the mechanics of it. I think its a great idea -- boost your "undergraduate" GPA :)

How are you earning a second BS? Do most of your credits from the first count? I'm 95% positive we can't do this at my school, so I'm just wondering the mechanics of it. I think its a great idea -- boost your "undergraduate" GPA :)
Yes, most of the credits from my first degree (zoology) will be applied to my second (genetics)--as it turns out, I just need five classes for it :). I'd say that the major reason this will work is that the first few years (core science and gen ed requirements) of the two curricula are nearly identical.

As for the GPA boost... mine isn't horrible, by any means, but that's definitely a plus!

Depends on the school. I am doing a second BS in animal science and the department requires me to take all their specified courses for the major(none of the university core requirements) and then the school itself requires that I take 45 credits there in order for them to award me a diploma.

If I had done my first degree at the same school, the school would only require that I take an additional 30 credits(or the minimum necessary for the department) before they would award me the second diploma.

Thanks! Like I said -- I hadn't heard of anyone doing this, so it's nice to know its a possibility. :) Good luck!

With the stats I had last year, I did not get into any vet schools, but not only did I get into my local university's PhD program, they had me come in for a day of interviews with all the medical science departments, so each could try to recruit me for their program, not to mention offers of free tuition and 24$ a year in salary, with no commitments to teach or work. When I decided to try vet school one more year, I called to turn them down, and they were so desperate to keep me they let me defer a year just so I didn't have to apply again and would come there if I was rejected.

So, they are not all that competitive.

PS. and they are my plan B. It is not the dream, but it is still pretty ok, and leaving school not in horrendous debt and with a more lucrative degree (I am planning to do the PhD in Pharmacology so I can wh@re myself out to the drug companies) has it's attractions.

That was my backup plan too! Also that's what I told them at IL interview as my answer to : "what would you do if you couldn't do vet. med?" I guess, we'll never be rich now:D

You mean we aren't going to be rich as vets? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Next year I reapply doing whatever the schools recommended in post mortems and taking more prerequisites so that I can expand my pool of schools to which I can apply.

After 2 times, I am done. My application is good this year, will be out of this world next year, and if they dont want me at that point, they are never gonna want me.

I'll probably move to Seattle and take a job there with a biotech company. Its the financially sound decision anyway, but not living the rock star life (which is how I think of vet school, I mean come on! Getting to do what you want to do as a hobby but for a living!)

It also depends on the nature of the master's program. The year after I started my masters in biology (at Missouri, one of the few public universities with a research 1 designation...very much research driven), they didn't accept a single masters applicant. Only PhD, as that's what they had the funds for.

I kind of wish they could differentiate better between a thesis and non-thesis masters programs with a different name or something. Our masters program in biology is considered like a mini PhD: 2-3 years (sometimes more!) and a research-driven thesis. It's not a dinky earn an MBA online in 1.5 years kinda thing by taking a few more classes. :rolleyes:

It's interesting you say that! Guelph does - you can do a "Masters by Coursework" which is NOT intended to lead into further research or a PhD, or you can do a traditional Masters by doing a thesis.