Already applied to dental school, chance me? Interview invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterdunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to this site. Just thought I would ask all to give their input on my chances of getting into dental school. I would also like to know when interview invites are sent out. Thanks! Here are my statistics and the schools I applied to:

Major: Biomedical Engineering
Minor: Chemistry

Current School: University of Iowa (Resident of Iowa)

DAT:
AA: 20
Bio: 20
GC: 18
OC: 19
TS: 19
PAT: 21
QR: 22
RC: 22

GPA:
Overall: 3.34
Science: 3.20

Hours of Shadowing: 120+ hours

Hours of Volunteering: 90+

Research: Did research one summer in immunology lab at Iowa.

I also worked during school almost all four years.

Schools I applied to:

Roseman
UConn
UColorado
LSU
A.T. Still - Arizona
WestU
Nova
Maryland
UIowa - Go Hawks!
UAB
UOklahoma
UUtah
UMinn
UFlorida
UTenn
UKentucky

Thanks all for your help!

-Hunter Duncan

Members don't see this ad.

i'm curious how you came up with your list...

Reactions: 2 users
@macsak I came up with my list based on my liking of the programs styles/way they do things, geographic location, and most importantly based on my interactions with the school either by telephone or at ADEA conferences. I didn't base it off of average DAT or GPA because that not who I am. I care most about how I am going to be treated as well as how I can contribute to that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're OOS for pretty much all of these schools.

UConn UF and Maryland are especially long shots with your stats.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
@macsak I came up with my list based on my liking of the programs styles/way they do things, geographic location, and most importantly based on my interactions with the school either by telephone or at ADEA conferences. I didn't base it off of average DAT or GPA because that not who I am. I care most about how I am going to be treated as well as how I can contribute to that school.
ok, good luck with that
but since you are asking about your chances, with your stats, you would be better off with fewer public schools and more private schools
but you have a huge list of schools, so you should get at least a couple of interviews, hopefully a few

You can almost count these schools out:
UConn
LSU
UAB
Uokla
Utah
UF
Tenn

Slim Chance:
UColorado
Maryland
UMinn

The other schools on the list you stand a decent chance at receiving an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
@catchandrelease @averageasian

Thank you all for your help! I knew most of these were a long shot so thanks for the reassurance on it. I just thought I would test my odds which are slim.

Any schools you guys highly recommend with my stats then?

@macsak You are right! I can always research and call them and talk to them though!

I agree with the above post, your chances are slim at most of those public schools, but I think you have a great shot at some of the private ones that you applied to. To give you a reference I had a 3.2 sgpa and a 21 AA/TS and applied to mostly private schools with exception to my state school (UMKC), Louisville and Indiana. I received interviews at Indiana, AT Still MO, MWUAZ, MWUIL, WestU, UNE, and Touro. I applaud you for not just applying to schools within your range, but I would encourage you to research some private schools. There are many private schools that have alot to offer! Good luck this cycle!!!

Do yourself a favor and add at least 3 private schools that accept your stats.

Best of luck!

I agree with the above post, your chances are slim at most of those public schools, but I think you have a great shot at some of the private ones that you applied to. To give you a reference I had a 3.2 sgpa and a 21 AA/TS and applied to mostly private schools with exception to my state school (UMKC), Louisville and Indiana. I received interviews at Indiana, AT Still MO, MWUAZ, MWUIL, WestU, UNE, and Touro. I applaud you for not just applying to schools within your range, but I would encourage you to research some private schools. There are many private schools that have alot to offer! Good luck this cycle!!!
Thanks for your advice. I Appreciate your help.

Hello!
I would remove UCONN and NOVA for sure. UCONN is almost impossible to get in as a OOS and NOVA... ehh lots of rumors and bad reputations right now. Nothing against NOVA, but according to the sdn posts, I would avoid attending there.

And i know you applied to schools within your range, but definitely apply to your dream schools and schools that may seem difficult to get in! You never know. Luck also plays in dental school, so be bold and apply to 2~3 reach schools. :)

I would add UNLV and U of Pitt as well.

Best of luck and you will do well!

Hey!

I know you already applied but a possible school you could add to your list would be Marquette! Since you're a resident of Iowa, the school wouldn't be too far away. The class is 50 in state and 50 out of state and I loved the school every time I visited(3 times!). I'm from Wisconsin so I might be biased, but I would give that school a shot! Good luck with your Iowa interview!!