Alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragnarok7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just a transcriptionist but I am very curious about all things medical so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something that's been bugging me.

In my copy of Stedman's GI & GU Words: Including Nephrology the very second entry lists "α2β1" as standing for alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen. From what I can tell from the Internet, α2β1 is a type of integrin which has, predictably, subunits α2 and β1. Types α1β1 and α2β1 of integrin are collagens. So is α2β1 a collagen specifically found in cell membranes?

And then mainly, I'm just wondering what this term is doing in a GI book, and why of all the types of integrin it is the only one listed. I asked a radiologist and he said it might have to do with treating intestinal bleeding. Is this right?

Thanks so much for humoring my curiosity. :) I'm a total nerd and got it into my head to go through all the terms and find out what they mean. But I got stumped on the second one... :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am just a transcriptionist but I am very curious about all things medical so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something that's been bugging me.

In my copy of Stedman's GI & GU Words: Including Nephrology the very second entry lists "α2β1" as standing for alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen. From what I can tell from the Internet, α2β1 is a type of integrin which has, predictably, subunits α2 and β1. Types α1β1 and α2β1 of integrin are collagens. So is α2β1 a collagen specifically found in cell membranes?

And then mainly, I'm just wondering what this term is doing in a GI book, and why of all the types of integrin it is the only one listed. I asked a radiologist and he said it might have to do with treating intestinal bleeding. Is this right?

Thanks so much for humoring my curiosity. :) I'm a total nerd and got it into my head to go through all the terms and find out what they mean. But I got stumped on the second one... :oops:

Still in undergrad, however I am very interested in gastroenterology which is why I was viewing this forum.

I believe you misunderstood the term. Integrins are cell-surface receptors that bind to collagen in the ECM. Integrins have alpha and beta subunits and are transmembrane proteins in the cell membrane.

I have no clue what it has to do with GI stuff though.