Almost finished with M1 - really considering Ophtho but have some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWishIWasBuff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I am a few months out from finishing my first year of medical school and I am pretty interested in Ophtho based on my experiences do far and what I think the specialty entails. I want to get started on looking for research because I know the process of finding a research mentor can take months. However, I want to learn more about practice/lifestyle of the specialty before pursuing research, which may preclude me from putting hours in research for another competitive specialty depending on the time commitment. I am currently doing research in another competitive specialty, which I started before I became really interested in ophtho. I can see myself taking on another project but no more than that.

Goals: Have autonomy, good lifestyle/compensation (mutually exclusive in this field?), practice in metro California, be in a specialty where I can address patient issues in a relatively short timeline or give patients quick relief.

1) To achieve these goals, would I likely need to do a fellowship?

2) I've read on Reddit that a general Ophthalmologist may end up making $150k or less, or less than FM physicians, especially in places of SF/LA...how true is this? Would one need to work 80+ hours to make as much as an, for example, anesthesiologist or dermatologist?

3) Academics vs private practice - what are some notable differences? I see "owning your own practice" discussed a lot more in ophtho circles than other specialties, is starting your own clinic more common in ophtho?

4) Microsurgery - I know there is a steep learning curve associated with this. Is this something that requires one have have a propensity for or something that will reliably get better with practice? How could someone in my stage of training (M1/2) know if this is something we'll like or be good at?

5) What are some ways a student can "make connections", which seem to be extremely important in this field.

6) What are some considerations someone at my stage should make before going into ophthalmology?

Thank you all for your time and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

6) What are some considerations someone at my stage should make before going into ophthalmology?

Agree with what was said above. Ophtho is not an easy residency. Especially the first 1-2 years when you're taking primary 'home' call. You will work many 32-40 hour shifts.

Make sure that you understand the sheer volume of clinic involved. Ophthalmology is closer to family medicine than to general surgery in the sense that 80+ % of your time will be spent in clinic and you have to really enjoy diagnosis and medical management. There are no 'big whack' surgeries unless you go into upper-tier academic plastics.

It's not uncommon for a general ophthalmologist to see 60+ patients in a day, and if you look at jobs being advertised right now by PE practices, you'll see that they're expecting you to start out seeing between 50-70. Even seeing 40 patients per day, you get 5-10 minutes with each patient tops and at the end of it it feels like you've been running on a treadmill. As reimbursement continues to go down, the number of patients seen in a day will have to go up or total compensation will go down.

Reactions: 2 users