Almost famous…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadesofgrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well it seems we’ve become so popular that even the APMA board of trustees is talking about us!

It is mildly frustrating that again the primary concern expressed is not the issues or complaints discussed here but rather the impact it might have on student recruitment. Still, I guess as the saying goes, “there’s no such thing as bad publicity”.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 0C80B589-57F1-4004-8F09-04D38604A62B.jpeg
    0C80B589-57F1-4004-8F09-04D38604A62B.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 4 users
Heaven forbid the associate mills dry up!

Reactions: 11 users
Not a single person from APMSA, APMA BOT, CPME, ABFAS, AACPM, etc. bothers to refute anything on this board. Either here, or in the content of their dumb arse letters they all keep writing.

I mean, clearly SDN is the driving force behind all of their concerns, they cite SDN every time they publish something. So why not provide your own info/evidence/data here, the single most influential group of podiatrists in the profession…apparently

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone here still pay their dues to APMA? My dues are up in a couple of months and I'm seriously thinking of putting that CME money to better use.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone here still pay their dues to APMA? My dues are up in a couple of months and I'm seriously thinking of putting that CME money to better use.
Nope. There's better use of your hard earned money.

Reactions: 1 users
If you let your APMA membership lapse, you will lose your Fellow status in the ACPM. Oh noes!!!

• Haha
A personal decision. We do need money to lobby and they occasionally accomplish something good.

15 percent belong to AMA just for reference.

It is optional and do not even consider it unless you are doing well, your job pays your dues or your hobby is being involved with your state podiatry association.

I condemn the actions by APMA and publicly denounce them

• Haha
  • Love
I have to say that I’m really impressed with this letter that the APMA just put out. I can’t think of any better way to lose as many younger and mustache-free members in one fell swoop. Bravo.

In the meantime, I welcome all the TFPs to try and figure out how to use a computer to come here and denounce the facts that have been posted here.

• Haha
Let’s see how the SDN mods react. Will they censor us even further? Or allow open discourse with legitimate discussions.

That apmsa thread obviously struck a nerve and exposed abfas.

student recruitment sucks because students can look at the postings available for podiatry jobs, they can talk to current students and they can shadow real live podiatrists. If they find the profession to be meh they won’t apply. If they can find other backup professions they won’t apply. SDN plays a very small role if it plays a role at all.

I would love to know how many podiatry students apply to the schools as their first choice.

student recruitment sucks because students can look at the postings available for podiatry jobs, they can talk to current students and they can shadow real live podiatrists. If they find the profession to be meh they won’t apply. If they can find other backup professions they won’t apply. SDN plays a very small role if it plays a role at all.

I would love to know how many podiatry students apply to the schools as their first choice.
I remember a student coming to shadow when I was a resident…. The attending flat out told the student not to do podiatry. Instead said to do nursing. I feel as if many podiatrists are being up front with those that actually take time to shadow as well

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember a student coming to shadow when I was a resident…. The attending flat out told the student not to do podiatry. Instead said to do nursing. I feel as if many podiatrists are being up front with those that actually take time to shadow as well
exactly. I bet more students hear that stuff in person than on here.

I have not paid dues since a few years out of residency. I will donate to my local PAC once in awhile.

The world did not fall off its axis... as was mentioned, AMA membership is only a small fraction of MDs.
...but I probably lost one of the more worthless journals and meetings in all of medicine and a tiny discount on forumula 9 or certain prefabs?

I see no need to even consider giving $ to the org responsible for new schools, letting crummy residencies persists, etc. It makes no sense to help feed into the increased tuition and the job market saturation, especially when you have student loans.

Reactions: 5 users
I have not paid dues since a few years out of residency. I will donate to my local PAC once in awhile.

The world did not fall off its axis... as was mentioned, AMA membership is only a small fraction of MDs.
...but I probably lost one of the more worthless journals and meetings in all of medicine and a tiny discount on forumula 9 or certain prefabs?

I see no need to even consider giving $ to the org responsible for new schools, letting crummy residencies persists, etc. It makes no sense to help feed into the increased tuition and the job market saturation, especially when you have student loans.
I’ve been debating leaving the APMA for years. I usually end up renewing it with money from work.

Let’s see how the SDN mods react. Will they censor us even further? Or allow open discourse with legitimate discussions.

That apmsa thread obviously struck a nerve and exposed abfas.

Apparently the APMA letter was more so referencing the comments about schools and CPME than any of the ABFAS stuff. Either way, they all read it and apparently many have accounts since the people we talk about are often times the ones reporting these threads. They are just too cowardly to post and defend their organization or their positions. Bummer.

Look I agree with the sentiment.

But remember memes are about showing and not telling. You dont need the top text "red pill or blue pill" because we already see a picture of a red pill and a blue pill. The bottom text uses about 2x as many words as you need to drive home the point.

The APMA leadership and everyone else can put out their official letters condemning this and that, but they can't meme. That's our only upper hand, so we have to meme well!

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
allow open discourse with legitimate discussions.
I don't know why you keep bringing us up when we have gone to bat for you guys, using your language verbatim to allow posts and threads to continue staying on here.

We've even encouraged both ABPM and ABFAS- if they have issues with what is being said on here- to MAKE an account and defend themselves- in order to have further legitimate discussions without both sides abusing the report button or using the website moderators as their own policing force.

I'm sure you are skeptical of our intent. But its disheartening to work so hard to keep everything open and still see this stuff.

I don't know why you keep bringing us up when we have gone to bat for you guys, using your language verbatim to allow posts and threads to continue staying on here.

We've even encouraged both ABPM and ABFAS- if they have issues with what is being said on here- to MAKE an account and defend themselves- in order to have further legitimate discussions without both sides abusing the report button or using the website moderators as their own policing force.

I'm sure you are skeptical of our intent. But its disheartening to work so hard to keep everything open and still see this stuff.
You guys are mainly fair. It’s a tough job. No hate. I appreciate what you do. My only beef is banning cuts. He probably deserved it but I feel like he should be back by now.

You guys are mainly fair. It’s a tough job. No hate. I appreciate what you do. My only beef is banning cuts. He probably deserved it but I feel like he should be back by now.

It was stated in another thread, but I'll say it here: he was given several chances to follow the TOS and change the tone of his posts both against members and the staff. We have a point system (stated in the TOS) about how warnings can lead to post-holds, that to probation, and, ultimately, a ban. Suffice it to say he was given all of these chances. In the end, he didn't. I also liked his direct responses, and I always felt like our profession could use someone like him at an admin level, but here on SDN, everyone has to follow the TOS.

It was stated in another thread, but I'll say it here: he was given several chances to follow the TOS and change the tone of his posts both against members and the staff. We have a point system (stated in the TOS) about how warnings can lead to post-holds, that to probation, and, ultimately, a ban. Suffice it to say he was given all of these chances. In the end, he didn't. I also liked his direct responses, and I always felt like our profession could use someone like him at an admin level, but here on SDN, everyone has to follow the TOS.
Meh. Reinstate him.

• Haha
Yeah, we talk about it all the time how podiatry job market is thin, rare good job postings get smashed with tons of apps, most podiatrists end up in PP, associates are underpaid, etc.

The other side of the coin is that many who do work hard to get those 'holy grail' DPM jobs working for hospital, ortho, main surgery doc for a big pod group, academic, etc tend to get burnt ouuuuuuuuut. I have seen it with at least 10+ SDN members over the years and dozens more DPMs I met during school or training. The call and the pressure to produce and the stress to keep the job since it was so hard to get or the location was a compromise to avoid PP just become taxing. It is not pleasing mentally to make about half what most MD/DO surgeons at the same hospital make for similar hours... and you have little leverage since 100 other podiatrists are tripping over one another trying to get your job. It's tempting to grind it out at a tough job when you'd have to take a paycut to go elsewhere or finding anything similar can take awhile - or an even less desired location. A lot of smart and hardworking people get grumpy to the point of quitting, getting fired, work conflicts, personal relationship strain, etc from the DPM "dream jobs" just like many others gripe and complain of barely being able to pay their loans with the PP associate gigs.

It's not that that's any excuse to be short and confrontational at the job or SDN or anywhere... but it's definitely not unrelated.

I think we assume (or pretend?) that because podiatry's an "easy hours" or "family friendly" specialty that it's that way everywhere - and that nobody should complain much. It certainly can be fairly relaxed, but a lot of us face the choice of underpaid vs overworked (or both). It's just easier for most MDs to deal with burnout when they drive home having their student loans paid off by age 35 in their S-Class Mercedes... knowing they have dozens of alternate jobs/locations should they choose. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, we talk about it all the time how podiatry job market is thin, rare good job postings get smashed with tons of apps, most podiatrists end up in PP, associates are underpaid, etc.

The other side of the coin is that many who do work hard to get those 'holy grail' DPM jobs working for hospital, ortho, main surgery doc for a big pod group, academic, etc tend to get burnt ouuuuuuuuut. I have seen it with at least 10+ SDN members over the years and dozens more DPMs I met during school or training. The call and the pressure to produce and the stress to keep the job since it was so hard to get or the location was a compromise to avoid PP just become taxing. It is not pleasing mentally to make about half what most MD/DO surgeons at the same hospital make for similar hours... and you have little leverage since 100 other podiatrists are tripping over one another trying to get your job. It's tempting to grind it out at a tough job when you'd have to take a paycut to go elsewhere or finding anything similar can take awhile - or an even less desired location. A lot of smart and hardworking people get grumpy to the point of quitting, getting fired, work conflicts, personal relationship strain, etc from the DPM "dream jobs" just like many others gripe and complain of barely being able to pay their loans with the PP associate gigs.

It's not that that's any excuse to be short and confrontational at the job or SDN or anywhere... but it's definitely not unrelated.

I think we assume (or pretend?) that because podiatry's an "easy hours" or "family friendly" specialty that it's that way everywhere - and that nobody should complain much. It certainly can be fairly relaxed, but a lot of us face the choice of underpaid vs overworked (or both). It's just easier for most MDs to deal with burnout when they drive home having their student loans paid off by age 35 in their S-Class Mercedes... knowing they have dozens of alternate jobs/locations should they choose. :)
Yeah I am sure nothing stressful about running your own business, hiring firing employees, dealing with insurers, worried your referral sources are going to get bought up by a system...etc etc etc🤪

Good post.

I hit major burnout in my last job. I was absolutley done inside and had nothing else to give. So I left.

Im hitting burnout here too... Mostly because im expected to do so much with no OR time given to me for add ons.

As I said in the other thread waiting hours after work (ORs are full during hours I have to add the case on - AKA first start/7AM) for a stupid toe amp is just a waste of my time and ticks my burnout meter a notch higher each time.

I told them I cant do it anymore and that I need time built in. Well guess what. They denied my request for block. Gen surg/ortho block is more important than inpatient diabetics. Its 5PM or later for those.

I asked for Tuesday/Thursday 7-830 block for inpatient diabetic add ons (for any specialty - but its always me) to lessen some of the blow and was denied. Im doing about 5ish diabetic cases a week here. Most/almost all after 5PM.

Burnout incoming.

• Sad
Yikes. Not having dedicated OR time with an inpatient load is rough.

Good post.

I hit major burnout in my last job. I was absolutley done inside and had nothing else to give. So I left.

Im hitting burnout here too... Mostly because im expected to do so much with no OR time given to me for add ons.

As I said in the other thread waiting hours after work (ORs are full during hours I have to add the case on - AKA first start/7AM) for a stupid toe amp is just a waste of my time and ticks my burnout meter a notch higher each time.

I told them I cant do it anymore and that I need time built in. Well guess what. They denied my request for block. Gen surg/ortho block is more important than inpatient diabetics. Its 5PM or later for those.

I asked for Tuesday/Thursday 7-830 block for inpatient diabetic add ons (for any specialty - but its always me) to lessen some of the blow and was denied. Im doing about 5ish diabetic cases a week here. Most/almost all after 5PM.

Burnout incoming.
Screw that... GTFOutta there.

Good post.

Burnout incoming.
I am sorry to hear that. I had a very similar situation at my last job and after having kids I left because I just couldn't keep up. I moved to an academic job where they actually care about your work life balance. I think being part of a team that cares for you in these hospital gigs is very important and rare to find. This is why I also advocate for everyone to go with guaranteed salary. If you are wRVU based these types of situations in hospital gigs impact your bottom line and add to your burn out.

One of my friends who works at a hospital wRVU based ends his clinic at 1pm and does couple add ons in the afternoon and leaves by 5. I am only on call 30 days a year now and do add ons after 5pm on rare occasions. It is doable but rare to find such jobs. I hope you find it.

Good post.

Burnout incoming.
This is very tough. I had a similar experience, as a PP, taking call at a local hospital. Very difficult to get times for inpt add ons and would have to do many after clinic because of that. Then the hospital would come down on that because the pods were using after hours staff for non emergent cases. After a while I just walked away from that hospital. At some point, your own well being and sanity take priority over the business and maximizing income.

I am sorry to hear that. I had a very similar situation at my last job and after having kids I left because I just couldn't keep up. I moved to an academic job where they actually care about your work life balance. I think being part of a team that cares for you in these hospital gigs is very important and rare to find. This is why I also advocate for everyone to go with guaranteed salary. If you are wRVU based these types of situations in hospital gigs impact your bottom line and add to your burn out.

One of my friends who works at a hospital wRVU based ends his clinic at 1pm and does couple add ons in the afternoon and leaves by 5. I am only on call 30 days a year now and do add ons after 5pm on rare occasions. It is doable but rare to find such jobs. I hope you find it.

There are certainly situations where the podiatrist should take some responsibility. We are not the only specialty that a hospital or MSG employer will take advantage if we are unwilling to say “no.” I have a hospital job where I do not have issues with call, add ons, hours worked, burnout, etc. A lot of that is due to the nature of the hospital I work at where there isn’t the volume of inpatient pathology as most other folks experience. But, I still say “no” to plenty of stuff.

At some point you have to stand up for yourself if you’re being taken advantage of. Refuse a consult. Consult ortho or Gen surg and tell them exactly why you are consulting them. They get preferential OR treatment and are generally being compensated to be there after hours. Cut out clinic hours for inpatient stuff. Cap your clinic schedule at a lower # of patients, or increase appointment time length.

You can’t always complain about extra work when you’ve said “yes” to every request made by your employer.

There are certainly situations where the podiatrist should take some responsibility. We are not the only specialty that a hospital or MSG employer will take advantage if we are unwilling to say “no.” I have a hospital job where I do not have issues with call, add ons, hours worked, burnout, etc. A lot of that is due to the nature of the hospital I work at where there isn’t the volume of inpatient pathology as most other folks experience. But, I still say “no” to plenty of stuff.

At some point you have to stand up for yourself if you’re being taken advantage of. Refuse a consult. Consult ortho or Gen surg and tell them exactly why you are consulting them. They get preferential OR treatment and are generally being compensated to be there after hours. Cut out clinic hours for inpatient stuff. Cap your clinic schedule at a lower # of patients, or increase appointment time length.

You can’t always complain about extra work when you’ve said “yes” to every request made by your employer.
Always an option but if there are 100 other podiatrist lining up for your job it becomes tough to say no. Also depends on what's in your contract. You pretty much have to have language that says how many days you'll be on call per month. If you are on call all the time because they only have 1 to 4 podiatrist then it's gonna be a nightmare long term. At our hospital if case was bumped too late then next day it gets priority to get completed before 5pm. Clinic is shortened to 3 hours on call days. We have inpatient PAs to help round and do care coordination. This is what I mean about having people around you that actually give a crap otherwise you'll get burned out because it keeps piling on.

20 pts a day, 5 scheduled surgeries a week, 30 to 40 days of call per year, 300k salary with full benefits and average 40 hours work week. That I think is the sweet spot for hospital podiatry gigs. Tough to maintain that if you are the only podiatrist.

You should see what cardiology does here.... they don't do outpatient work when on inpatient call...Ortho sees 2x the volume and obviously is doing both....let's just say there are feelings about this.

I admit I do like that golden carrot but yeah burnout sucks.
Im working hard on getting this changed. Believe me.
And I have been refusing add ons if I cant get OR time.
Tell them to call ortho/gen surg which is always a hard no and it still bounces back to me but if I do this enough it will eventually push for change.
Hospital management is actually 100% behind me.
Its actually anesthesia that is working against me. They dont want to hire another provider in the group to open another room. They dont think there is enough volume (there clearly is...).
I also think the charge nurse is extraordinarily lazy. Like lazier than lazy can be.
I had an anesthesiologist tell me a couple days ago that they rearrange the surgical times daily to make themselves look busier than what they are LOL.

• Wow
Always an option but if there are 100 other podiatrist lining up for your job it becomes tough to say no
Recruiting, hiring, etc is expensive. I’m sure larger corporate outfits don’t really care, but I think people would be surprised that A) plenty of hospitals have no idea how easy it would be to hire a new podiatrist B) even the ones that do can still be surprisingly hesitant to replace a current doc and go through the hiring process. Folks in established positions can have more leverage than we all think they do

Also depends on what's in your contract.
Yeah call will usually be delineated. But contracts generally can’t force you to treat certain pathology and they can’t stop you from consulting other services or referring people out. Of course on the inpatient side you can’t send them anywhere (unless you’re rural then it becomes easy to justify transfer for higher level of care). But plenty of DPMs have gotten what they wanted by dumping patients on ortho and Gen surg

20 pts a day, 5 scheduled surgeries a week, 30 to 40 days of call per year, 300k salary with full benefits and average 40 hours work week.

Yeah this is my schedule. I do have more call days than that, but I only do cases after 5pm or over my lunch hour a few times each quarter. It is a great way to avoid burnout. But you have to have a facility that is appropriately staffed, or not terribly busy. Or you have to have the balls to set some boundaries and stick to them.

Tell them to call ortho/gen surg which is always a hard no and it still bounces back to me but if I do this enough it will eventually push for change.
Its actually anesthesia that is working against me. They dont want to hire another provider in the group to open another room. They dont think there is enough volume (there clearly is...).
I also think the charge nurse is extraordinarily lazy. Like lazier than lazy can be.
I had an anesthesiologist tell me a couple days ago that they rearrange the surgical times daily to make themselves look busier than what they are LOL.

Anesthesia could have a heck of a time even getting a CRNA. They have job opportunities everywhere and if there isn’t someone from the area or if you aren’t in a very desirable area (like me) it could take years to find another provider. And that’s if they wanted to expand which clearly they don’t at the moment.

This happens at my hospital too. The charge nurse or even OR nurse/staff will purposely take longer with turnover/transport (talking ridiculous amount of time) or even ask us at times to take longer so they don’t have to get a harder or longer case added onto their room and the after hours team can take it if it goes late enough. Not to mention they push back starting a 10 minute toe amp after 3:30 because it could run up to 5:00 and will just shut the room down so they can go home. This equals to us taking half a day sometimes to do two diabetic foot cases. All the while there’s another 2 on the add on board with 10 other cases “more important” than ours. Our hospital also has 10-15 rooms that are not even used due to staffing issues. This is at a major academic medical center as well and we are doing at least 10+ inpatient cases a week so I know our attendings have to feel this.

• Wow
Anesthesia could have a heck of a time even getting a CRNA. They have job opportunities everywhere and if there isn’t someone from the area or if you aren’t in a very desirable area (like me) it could take years to find another provider. And that’s if they wanted to expand which clearly they don’t at the moment.
The hospital is approximately 50% CRNA and 50% MD/DO for anesthesia.
There are zero elective cases going.
If they opened more rooms they could get doctors in the community to fill as many rooms as they had.
Its impossible to get an OR time.
They are being lazy.

Where do you take your bunions? Some surgery center that your employer owns?
There is a Smaller hospital down the road a bit. They have 4 ORs as opposed to 10-12 at the main campus.
My office is at the main campus where I get the diabetic consults (which is nice - no driving).
They do run elective at the smaller hospital
They only run about 5 rooms at the main hospital tho.
Total waste of space. There are surgeons banging on the door trying to get time but can not.
Most inefficient OR I have ever stepping place in managing cases/time wise.
I will say the turnover is decent though for my cases.

Exactly what I have said multiple times.
Its a stupid OR setup. Absolutely awful.

Where do you take your bunions? Some surgery center that your employer ownsi
There is a Smaller hospital down the road a bit. They have 4 ORs as opposed to 10-12 at the main campus.
My office is at the main campus where I get the diabetic consults (which is nice - no driving).
They do run elective at the smaller hospital
They only run about 5 rooms at the main hospital tho.
Total waste of space. There are surgeons banging on the door trying to get time but can not.
Most inefficient OR I have ever stepping place in managing cases/time wise.
I will say the turnover is decent though for my cases.

Oh yeah, your admin is clueless