Allowed to do suctioning, setting up trays, and hand tools in CA w/out certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlecGaro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just like the title says, if I live in California am I allowed to do basic suctioning, setting up trays and handing tools to the dentist? I do not have certification but I have been given permission by the dentist and was supervised at all times by the dentist. I want to know because I was told at UCLA's pre-dental day that this should not be a problem, but now I am hearing different things on the forums. I wrote that I did these tasks at dental offices in my AADSAS application and I am hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot.

Please let me know. I can't find an updated website that gives California's policy on this.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've done that stuff in NY without a certification. I don't believe that a certification for being a dental assistant is a requirement any where. Just preferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing CA really cares about is if you have a xray license. And if you're doing the polishing for hygienists then you need a coronal polishing license, everything else is pretty much hands on