Other Allow doctors in the the US not in residency to help fill the gap in the COVID pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarkastik

Reaction score
The US State Department has stopped processing J1 visas as of 03/20/20. If IMGs living abroad cannot start on July 1st, we will be down 4,200 doctors in the middle of the most deadly pandemic of our lifetime. Please sign my petition urging the ACGME, NRMP, and CMS to allow unmatched American medical grads and IMGs living in the US to help fill the gap in the COVID-19 crisis.

Please read, sign, and share!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
US is facilitating visa appointments for doctors who matched these days

Members don't see this ad :)
This is for US based IMGs that did not match. Based on the wording of this petition, one would assume it would not include U.S. Allopathic and Osteopathic graduates that did not match.

Yup, my bad, read it too fast. You are correct!

The US State Department has stopped processing J1 visas as of 03/20/20. If IMGs living abroad cannot start on July 1st, we will be down 4,200 doctors in the middle of the most deadly pandemic of our lifetime. Please sign my petition urging the ACGME, NRMP, and CMS to allow unmatched American medical grads and IMGs living in the US to help fill the gap in the COVID-19 crisis.

Please read, sign, and share!
Why would an unmatched graduate be allowed to practice? That’s not a good idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Why would an unmatched graduate be allowed to practice? That’s not a good idea

I think you're misreading, this petition is stating that if there are gaps unfilled in the upcoming residency year, that unmatched graduates should be considered as a pool of applicants to choose from, to fill those gaps. Not to practice without a residency.

I think you're misreading, this petition is stating that if there are gaps unfilled in the upcoming residency year, that unmatched graduates should be considered as a pool of applicants to choose from, to fill those gaps. Not to practice without a residency.
Ah.....so screw some matched graduate if a pandemic slows them down by a few months and give their space to someone who didn’t navigate the match properly?

Again, hard pass. It’s a bad idea

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe it is a good idea to stop issuing J1 Visa for a bit? Think about it in terms of reducing the number of COVID-19 cases as well as who ACTUALLY knows how to manage COVID patients? Work on your application through other means first

Dont let the unmatched work in the clinical setting yet.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Maybe it is a good idea to stop issuing J1 Visa for a bit? Think about it in terms of reducing the number of COVID-19 cases as well as who ACTUALLY knows how to manage COVID patients? Work on your application through other means first
How does a US unmatched graduate get assumed to know more about covid management than a matched IMG?

And those IMG folks you are targeting here don’t need to work on their application....they matched

Ah.....so screw some matched graduate if a pandemic slows them down by a few months and give their space to someone who didn’t navigate the match properly?

The match is just a pure game!
I hope you would be more empathetic and humble!

The match is just a pure game!
I hope you would be more empathetic and humble!
To who? I’m empathetic to the people who did the work and matched that this request seems to want to screw

Where does humility impact that statement?

Reactions: 7 users

Everyone works hard to get into residency after life time of education, and I would never agree or suggest of giving someone spot to other one.......But what I see offensive is describing unmatched candidate as “someone who didn’t navigate the match properly”.
For me it is heartbreaking to see these words coming out from colleague who know well the match process, the number Residency spot, and the number of applicants.
As unmatched candidate I was saddened when I read your comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone works hard to get into residency after life time of education, and I would never agree or suggest of giving someone spot to other one.......But what I see offensive is describing unmatched candidate as “someone who didn’t navigate the match properly”.
For me it is heartbreaking to see these words coming out from colleague who know well the match process, the number Residency spot, and the number of applicants.
I feel for you, but being sad about it doesn’t change the reality.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't be sad. Just work your butt off for the next cycle or look for off cycle spots. There are fired residents and unmatched folks looking to do the same thing. Helping hospitals with the Corona epidemic may not be needed right now as more resources will be wasted

Last edited:
The match is both a number game and a strategy game...

AGREE

I think you are taking this too personally.

Those that matched succeeded... and visas are being processed , hope they should be able to be here to take their rightful spot .

I think many of you incorrectly assume that those who go unmatched were poor med students, didn’t work hard, low step scores, no extra-curriculars, etc, as opposed to someone who applied for an upper tier competitive specialty with a good/great application but no backup. Many of these people could have easily matched FM/IM/Peds/Gen Surg/OB but instead tried for Ortho/Derm/ENT and ended up without a job in a flawed system.

I’m not necessarily advocating circumventing the spot of a matched IMG who can’t make it for a few months, but I do think it is incorrect to assume you’d be drawing from a pool of invalids.

I think many of you incorrectly assume that those who go unmatched were poor med students, didn’t work hard, low step scores, no extra-curriculars, etc, as opposed to someone who applied for an upper tier competitive specialty with a good/great application but no backup. Many of these people could have easily matched FM/IM/Peds/Gen Surg/OB but instead tried for Ortho/Derm/ENT and ended up without a job in a flawed system.

I’m not necessarily advocating circumventing the spot of a matched IMG who can’t make it for a few months, but I do think it is incorrect to assume you’d be drawing from a pool of invalids.

Nope.

That’s why I said “didn’t navigate the match properly”. Lots of booksmart people didn’t do what needed to be done to match.

But it really doesn’t matter why they didn’t match, trying to use covid as a cover for an underhanded attempt to rip off people who did match is not ok

I don't think I'll sign that petition.

471.jpg

I signed the petition...

America first!

I feel for you, but being sad about it doesn’t change the reality.
Thank you for your feeling.......keep in mind the other SAD REALITY is a lot of people are DYING each day from COVID 19!
People start suggesting retired physicians (high risk age group) to enter the work field again and support the frontline healthcare worker, also medical students.

Unmatched candidates do not use COVID 19 to rip off other people spot, they are simply trying to step up and be part of this battle against this unprecedented pandemic......I believe it is ok to step up and try to SAVE LIVES!

Thank you for your feeling.......keep in mind the other SAD REALITY is a lot of people are DYING each day from COVID 19!
People start suggesting retired physicians (high risk age group) to enter the work field again and support the frontline healthcare worker, also medical students.

Unmatched candidates do not use COVID 19 to rip off other people spot, they are simply trying to step up and be part of this battle against this unprecedented pandemic......I believe it is ok to step up and try to SAVE LIVES!
I’m not buying the selfless martyr pitch.

This proposal doesn’t include going back home after the matched IMGs get their paperwork solved, it’s an opportunistic attempt to steal a matched slot from someone because they are a foreigner

Have you ever watched the movies on zombie virus (Walking Dead, etc)? After city evacuation, there is a handful of cars on the road. Main characters, like Rick and Carole, take the cars all the time.., I never considered them as thieves/opportunists. Are they?!?!

This proposal doesn’t include going back home after the matched IMGs get their paperwork solved, it’s an opportunistic attempt to steal a matched slot from someone because they are a foreigner
not a bad idea tho.. step in while the others visa gets worked out could be an opportunity to show off your skills and knowledge and maybe increase your odds of being accepted there next match season!

but the martyr act its hard to buy. Im unmatched so i know the ****ty feeling.. and would love to get the opportunity... i dont think i didnt play well the match game.. as i applied to tons of specialties and hospitals.. the " easier to get" ones.. and still step one biting me in the ass.. cause if not that.. then theres no way a new graduate is more qualified for a spot than a 4 year experience working on ER as full unrestricted phycisian. with all steps passed! i still dont get why step 1 is a big deal when you already passed step 3 on first attempt! but thats beside the point.. i get the frustration.. but taking spots from other people is a dick move!

i would, however, love for an opportunity since crisis and all.. maybe allow for more residency spots with less pay or no pay even.. im sure some people have enough from their loans or savings working as PA or whatever job they have to be able to self sponsor themselves in the residency! we just need the opportunity to get in.. learn and be able to practice.. no matter the cost!

Have you ever watched the movies on zombie virus (Walking Dead, etc)? After city evacuation, there is a handful of cars on the road. Main characters, like Rick and Carole, take the cars all the time.., I never considered them as thieves/opportunists. Are they?!?!
those are abandoned vehicles... not on standby!

@ERP987

What are your stats? Are you an IMG or FMG? What are the specialties you applied to? and how many programs?

not a bad idea tho.. step in while the others visa gets worked out could be an opportunity to show off your skills and knowledge and maybe increase your odds of being accepted there next match season!

but the martyr act its hard to buy. Im unmatched so i know the ****ty feeling.. and would love to get the opportunity... i dont think i didnt play well the match game.. as i applied to tons of specialties and hospitals.. the " easier to get" ones.. and still step one biting me in the ass.. cause if not that.. then theres no way a new graduate is more qualified for a spot than a 4 year experience working on ER as full unrestricted phycisian. with all steps passed! i still dont get why step 1 is a big deal when you already passed step 3 on first attempt! but thats beside the point.. i get the frustration.. but taking spots from other people is a dick move!

i would, however, love for an opportunity since crisis and all.. maybe allow for more residency spots with less pay or no pay even.. im sure some people have enough from their loans or savings working as PA or whatever job they have to be able to self sponsor themselves in the residency! we just need the opportunity to get in.. learn and be able to practice.. no matter the cost!
I feel that’s an appropriate response. Pm your stats/details and i’ll keep an ear open

Why keep suggesting unmatched candidate trying to steal spots, the proposal does not say that. It will be up to the PDs and their associate to keep them or not when matched ppl get in and able to start serving the people of this nation.
However, if we go by your concept, Hospitals will be understaffed which means more lives will be lost.........please put people lives first!
Let us think out of the box..........COVID 19 is a real test for healthcare system! There will be consequence if we do not take the right action at the right time.

Thank you for delivering the message in better way.
Good idea to staff more ppl in with less pay or no payment......I am willing to work for less payment or none (volunteer), as long I will be able to earn my full unrestricted license.
Let us not forget why we are in this field, helping and serving who needs our knowledge and skills, patients?!

NYS hospitals are looking for volunteers to help out. You could lend a helping hand if you were concerned about the impact of COVID on an over-burdened healthcare system.

This doesn't require opening up any new residency spots or taking the spots of other matched candidates who may face issues with visas.

Good idea to staff more ppl in with less pay or no payment......I am willing to work for less payment or none (volunteer), as long I will be able to earn my full unrestricted license.
Let us not forget why we are in this field, helping and serving who needs our knowledge and skills, patients?!

If your desire is to help ease the stress faced by hospitals during this crisis, why does your ability to earn an unrestricted license matter?

Reactions: 3 users
If your desire is to help ease the stress faced by hospitals during this crisis, why does your ability to earn an unrestricted license matter?
NYS hospitals are looking for volunteers to help out. You could lend a helping hand if you were concerned about the impact of COVID on an over-burdened healthcare system.

This doesn't require opening up any new residency spots or taking the spots of other matched candidates who may face issues with visas.
I already emailed several hospitals, waiting for their response.....i do have a post offering my help days ago this petition came out.
By the way there is regulation for volunteering, you can not just walking through a hospital door and tell them I am here to help, common sense would not say do that!
You need to have an approval and assigned to position!

you aren't in this field. That requires a residency. I'm all for trying to get to your license, I'm pretty against the claim that this is all about patients for you. This is rahm all over again, "never let a crisis go to waste"

I already emailed several hospitals, waiting for their response.....i do have a post offering my help days ago this petition came out.
By the way there is regulation for volunteering, you can not just walking through a hospital door and tell them I am here to help, common sense would not say do that!
You need to have an approval and assigned to position!

Look, I am not against unmatched physicians doing everything in their power to match. I would do exactly the same. I know its a tough fight with an element of luck thrown in. But be honest about your intentions.

It just looks bad when it appears that you're taking advantage of a pandemic to secure yourself an alternate pathway to a full license.

Reactions: 3 users
Look, I am not against unmatched physicians doing everything in their power to match. I would do exactly the same. I know its a tough fight with an element of luck thrown in. But be honest about your intentions.

It just looks bad when it appears that you're taking advantage of a pandemic to secure yourself an alternate pathway to a full license.
99.9999999999999% human being would do the same

Agreed. The ultimate goal here is to secure a residency. Call it for what it is.

So....find another way then. Don't beg and sign a petition to volunteer in a crapshoot that may lead to death.

So....find another way then. Don't beg and sign a petition to volunteer in a crapshoot to death.

I have matched. I am one of those non-US IMGs that they suggested replacing.

I don't know whether it is known to the community or not but the visa huddle for residency has already been cleared. The Dept of state has already decided to make exceptions for matched non-citizen candidates in regards to applying for a visa:

And this here is the bulletin post from ECFMG regarding this topic:

And this is a screenshot of the email that a friend of mine received from the ECFMG:

1585632417553.png

yes. It sounds good . Non us IMG ,who matched could start their residency without VISA issue.

IS there a new law that allows foreign medical grads who have 1 yr GME to be employed on limited permit in NYS?
Can anybody provide any additional information? Thanks

IS there a new law that allows foreign medical grads who have 1 yr GME to be employed on limited permit in NYS?
Can anybody provide any additional information? Thanks

NO

• Dislike

You are incorrect.

As per: No. 202.10: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency

Subparagraph (ii) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (g) of 10 N.Y.C.R.R. section 405.4, to the extent necessary to allow graduates of foreign medical schools having at least one year of graduate medical education to provide patient care in hospitals, is modified so as to allow such graduates without licenses to provide patient care in hospitals if they have completed at least one year of graduate medical education;

You are incorrect.

As per: No. 202.10: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency

Subparagraph (ii) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (g) of 10 N.Y.C.R.R. section 405.4, to the extent necessary to allow graduates of foreign medical schools having at least one year of graduate medical education to provide patient care in hospitals, is modified so as to allow such graduates without licenses to provide patient care in hospitals if they have completed at least one year of graduate medical education;

So....stop posting here and go join the front lines then?

Status
Not open for further replies.