Allopathic Derm Residencies and DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanihilist

The Claptrap
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering attending a DO school and am fairly certain I want to be a dermatologist. I understand residencies are competitive but from what I've read on this board people were making it sound like it is impossible for a DO student to get accepted into an allopathic residency? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering attending a DO school and am fairly certain I want to be a dermatologist. I understand residencies are competitive but from what I've read on this board people were making it sound like it is impossible for a DO student to get accepted into an allopathic residency? Is this true?

Impossible? No. Nothing is impossible.

Unlikely? VERY VERY VERY much so. It will be an uphill battle the entire way, from day one of med school. But if you want it bad enough, go for it. Anything worth having is worth fighting for isn't it?

Without a personal connection (program director is your uncle, etc), the odds are about the same as you being on a space shuttle mission in four years. (not impossible but highly improbable) I would argue the road would be EASIER to go the DO school, then DO residency route compared to going to an allopathic school then trying for allopathic derm

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a OMS-II and also am intersted in derm. It is true that there are only a few, I want to say 6 derm D.O. residencies in the whole country, but there is hope! I know 2 people from CCOM that matched in derm this year. No matter which you decide to go into D.O. or M.D. it is about who you know and how are you really want to do derm. Many M.D. programs are becoming more accustomed to D.O. students and are realizing that our knowledge base is just as strong as M.D. students. It is often said that D.O.'s are more personable (I promise I am not M.D. bashing)-so I personally feel that an M.D. program would rather have a hard working, passionate D.O. with a great personality over a hard working M.D. without any social skills. In the end it is the residence who interview you, and if you are someone that they would like to work with then hopefully it won't make a difference if you are an M.D. or D.O. At least this is the motto that I am working with:) Good luck!

I am currently a OMS-II and also am intersted in derm. It is true that there are only a few, I want to say 6 derm D.O. residencies in the whole country, but there is hope! I know 2 people from CCOM that matched in derm this year. No matter which you decide to go into D.O. or M.D. it is about who you know and how are you really want to do derm. Many M.D. programs are becoming more accustomed to D.O. students and are realizing that our knowledge base is just as strong as M.D. students. It is often said that D.O.'s are more personable (I promise I am not M.D. bashing)-so I personally feel that an M.D. program would rather have a hard working, passionate D.O. with a great personality over a hard working M.D. without any social skills. In the end it is the residence who interview you, and if you are someone that they would like to work with then hopefully it won't make a difference if you are an M.D. or D.O. At least this is the motto that I am working with:) Good luck!

The problem with that theory is that there are probably lots of hardworking MDs with great personalities too :p

that's awesome bro, once the old guard get's a taste of your people skills you will blow right past those MD/PhDs with publications, grades, board scores and connections. Typically now you will say " I'm not really considering osteopathic residencies at this point- I'm deciding whether I want my fiancee and I to live in Philadelphia (Penn) or New York (NYU)- I'm also considering the Derm/Med program at Penn.

that's awesome bro, once the old guard get's a taste of your people skills you will blow right past those MD/PhDs with publications, grades, board scores and connections. Typically now you will say " I'm not really considering osteopathic residencies at this point- I'm deciding whether I want my fiancee and I to live in Philadelphia (Penn) or New York (NYU)- I'm also considering the Derm/Med program at Penn.

:laugh:

Don't take this the wrong way man but that is absolute NONSENSE.

Thank GOD you posted this in a residency forum b/c if the pre-MD/MD students see this post, it's almost gauranteed we're going to have a DO vs MD pissing contest. So annoying...

Personality is over-rated. Grades aren't. Let's move on now please.

"It is often said that D.O.'s are more personable"

At least MDs students know how to avoid the passive voice.

in my experience, the average derm applicant is pretty much maximally personable anyway. you can't out-personable-ize this crowd. moreover, it's mostly the objective criteria that get you to interviews - it doesn't matter how swell you are if you don't get an invite. perhaps you could make a case in your ps, but you can't count on personality boosting you very far in applying for derm... it's more or less assumed you're a keen person.