allopath learning OMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all -
I'm about to start medical school (allopathic) in the fall (see sig), and am very curious about OMT. The philosophy of osteopathic medicine largely coincides with my views, which does not in any way seem incompatible with a solid education in any type of medical school. However, as an allopathic student I expect I'll get no exposure to OMT. How can one learn more about OMT and even how to perform OMT if not at an osteopathic medical school?

Thanks!
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

There apparently are some OMT fellowships that MDs can do. One of our OMT instructors is an MD pediatrician who completed such a program.

Originally posted by DrMom
There apparently are some OMT fellowships that MDs can do. One of our OMT instructors is an MD pediatrician who completed such a program.

you mean like a 1 or more year training program after a residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I take it you're talking about Dr. Mills? I've heard she is awesome too!

If you want to do OMT, it's quite easy. You need to know two basic things. 1) Anatomy-you get this at any medical school
2) Awesome Palpation Skills

If you have these two things down you can pick up OMT without any problems. The AAO offers a few different classes for MD's to "catch up" to DO profeciency through CME events. If you know your Anatomy and can Palpate, the principles you learn at these classes will be easily applied. My suggestion is you spend your time at allopathic school developing your palpation skills. I recommend: "Palpation Skills:Assessment and Diagnosis Through Touch" by Leon Chaitow, DO, ND.

If you want a good basic book in OMT, try Greemans "Principles of Manual Medicine" It's pretty good. Good luck!

In my opinion, the easiest way to learn OMT is go to a DO school. You will learn much more in my opinion, rather than just doing a fellowship.

I am not being bitter or anything, I am just stating my opinion. I have read a lot of MD threads putting us down, so I am just sticking up for my profession.....no offense

Chris

In my opinion, the easiest way to learn OMT is go to a DO school. You will learn much more in my opinion, rather than just doing a fellowship. I am not being bitter or anything, I am just stating my opinion. I have read a lot of MD threads putting us down, so I am just sticking up for my profession.....no offense

Enough with the inferiority complex, my friend. I think the guy is legit. Yes, many MDs and even more MD premeds are stand-offish on the whole OMM deal, most discount it outright without learning anything about it, probably honestly because most are subconsciously intimidated by someone possibly knowing more than them in the realm of healing. They then often resort to college gpas and mcats to win back their own self confidence. However, there are some MDs who are very much interested in what OMM has to offer. Read Dr. Andrew Weils's books. He's a Harvard Med grad and huge advocate of OMM, devoting whole chapters to it.

To the OP, there's a ton of books out there to get you started, I recommend Dr. Robert Fulford's- Touch of Life.

good luck.

I say, share the knowledge and training we get.... BUT osteopaths will always be the "GOLD STANDARD" for being the best trained.

We're all here to treat patients so I say if and when possible let's share the knowledge we have.

I commend Adcadet for wanting to learn more instead of turning a blind eye.... Good luck to your future endeavors....

:cool:

Just to answer your question. I heard about Dr. Mills from a couple of our 3rd year OPP Fellows. They went down and worked with her for a couple of weeks. They were very impressed with her work.

To the originator of this thread-I think your interest in manipulative medicine is great-I think we should all keep in mind that the majority of DOs do not use OMM once in practice. So in other words DO = OMM guru is actually a low percentage. The more the allopathic world sees value in manipulation, the more DOs might feel pride for what they learned rather than burying those tools once their first two years of school have been completed.

Your only concern may be that I do not believe you will be able to bill for manipulation without a DO, DC or PT degree, but that may depend state to state. You may want to look into doing clinical rotations at a DO school in the OMM department. A fellowship or similar would be essential to being proficient. It takes years of regular practice to learn good landmarks, palpation, and of course techniques so try to put yourself in positions to maximize your hands-on time.

Even if you eventually do not end up utilizing OMM/OMT or similar in practice, through your studying you will be better equiped to refer your pts. for it rather than just handing them a script. Good Luck!

Originally posted by DOSouthpaw
Just to answer your question. I heard about Dr. Mills from a couple of our 3rd year OPP Fellows. They went down and worked with her for a couple of weeks. They were very impressed with her work.

Ahhh. I remember meeting one of your fellows who was here a few weeks ago.

Was it Brian or Tana?

Must have been Brian because it was a guy. :)

I really didn't get a chance to talk with him, but he was introduced to our class and helped out during a lab session.

I would love to come down and work with her for awhile. I think doing some Peds stuff would be cool. I'm going to look into when I take the Fellowship.