Allergy/Immunology fellowship application 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got invites from HF, Sinai,Buffalo,Tenn,Pitts too.
It has been a slow process, but just starting to pick up

I heard from:
U Penn
Sinai
Buffalo
Tenn
U Pitt
HF
Mayo
Downstate

No word from any other NE programs :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey UMC,
I was actually going to tell you earlier that you received interview invites from strong programs. I didn't hear from Downstate...kinda bummed out about that.

an excellent question. maybe those who matched last year can comment on the number they ended up ranking or where they matched on their list???

Number of Places Interviewed: 12 (stopped going to interviews after I spent over $2.5K, had to put the kibosh on that crap). I spent a lot of time looking for deals on flights/hotels and preferred car travel if the institution was within an 8 hour radius from home.
Number Ranked: 6
Matched: #1 on my list

In general, going to as many places as you financially can is reasonable to increase your chances of matching, especially for this fellowship. Not to mention that internal candidates are significantly favored. Doesn't hurt to put as many as you like on your list, I purposely left some places out after I realized that I couldn't allow myself to live in some cities (like Galveston).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I'm also applying from the peds side and so far got 9 interviews of 35 programs. Best of luck to everyone and def good to hear who's given interviews yet. I've heard from Stanford, Hopkins, NIH, Duke, LIJ, SUNY downstate, Cleveland Clinic, Buffalo, U of Kansas City.

Anyone heard from Baylor, CHOP, UNC, Emory, or Montefiore?

Congrats! when will u go to Buffalo?

Hi all, I'm also applying from the peds side and so far got 9 interviews of 35 programs. Best of luck to everyone and def good to hear who's given interviews yet. I've heard from Stanford, Hopkins, NIH, Duke, LIJ, SUNY downstate, Cleveland Clinic, Buffalo, U of Kansas City.

CHOP sent out an invite to me a few weeks ago. Baylor further back. When did you hear from Duke & Stanford?

CHOP sent out an invite to me a few weeks ago. Baylor further back. When did you hear from Duke & Stanford?

Duke I heard from this past week and Stanford I heard from end of december.

Was wondering if anyone going to be attending this year's AAAAI conference in San Fran in the midst of the interviewing craziness...

Any word from UCLA or Scripps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
How have interviews been coming along?
This thread is dying...anyone care to share interview experiences.
Anymore programs send invites? Heard from LSU the other day.

How do you decide which programs you will rank high? Are most of you basing it on academic reputation, location, or by research interest of programs/attendings...this a dilemma of mine... I don't want to lie as to what my research interests are if the program doesn't really offer it, but at the same time location is important for me. What are your thoughts on this?

Hey everyone,
How have interviews been coming along?
This thread is dying...anyone care to share interview experiences.
Anymore programs send invites? Heard from LSU the other day.

How do you decide which programs you will rank high? Are most of you basing it on academic reputation, location, or by research interest of programs/attendings...this a dilemma of mine... I don't want to lie as to what my research interests are if the program doesn't really offer it, but at the same time location is important for me. What are your thoughts on this?

ive gone on 1 thusfar, and its slowed down on invites...i heard last year people received invites as late as april. crazy. i think the better programs should have something to offer me in terms of research. the ability of a program to give me the tools to go into an academic program so that i may do what i really want later is important....even if their research isnt exactly what i want...

I've been to only 3 interviews at this point. My experiences at each program have been very different. One interviewer went over step by step how they selected applicants and the scoring system they used. Other places went into detail with my past research projects. And one interviewer went into describing the program, and the only question he asked me was if I had any questions...One program director told me very directly that we train our fellows to go into private practice...??? I was taken aback but very happy to hear it! Another interiviewer told me how the program's been burned in the past...how an applicant told them she would rank the program number one but ended up matching somewhere else and that year they dropped down to there 13th choice...I didn't know what to say to that... It's been a bit of a confusing process for me...but you learn with every interview...

Most likely 20 min for each interviewer. They asked me why allergy, what's my future career goal, do I have any questions, why this program, tell them about myself, what's my spouse job, what area did I apply, NE area?, most conversation ended up with a nice chatting. They seldom ask my research. I only finished 2 interviews so far and only plan to go to 10 interviews. I am happy with the invitation from my homeschool last Friday. Good luck, everyone!
I've been to only 3 interviews at this point. My experiences at each program have been very different. One interviewer went over step by step how they selected applicants and the scoring system they used. Other places went into detail with my past research projects. And one interviewer went into describing the program, and the only question he asked me was if I had any questions...One program director told me very directly that we train our fellows to go into private practice...??? I was taken aback but very happy to hear it! Another interiviewer told me how the program's been burned in the past...how an applicant told them she would rank the program number one but ended up matching somewhere else and that year they dropped down to there 13th choice...I didn't know what to say to that... It's been a bit of a confusing process for me...but you learn with every interview...

UC Irvine rejection & Yale invite.
anyone still out there?

Congratulations Johnny!
I received the same rejection from uci as well today! Interview invite from tulane today but they only offered me one interview date which I plan on going to wash u that same day...new orleans would prob be a nicer city to end up in then . Louis... What are your thoughts..

Congratulations Johnny!
I received the same rejection from uci as well today! Interview invite from tulane today but they only offered me one interview date which I plan on going to wash u that same day...new orleans would prob be a nicer city to end up in then . Louis... What are your thoughts..

personally i'd take New Orleans...i liked it there when i was there for the aaaai meeting last spring. but i know almost nothing about either programs as i didnt apply to either...wash U is a great program i hear though

any word from UCLA for anyone?

personally i'd take New Orleans...i liked it there when i was there for the aaaai meeting last spring. but i know almost nothing about either programs as i didnt apply to either...wash U is a great program i hear though

any word from UCLA for anyone?

Still no word from UCLA for me.

I have not heard from UCLA yet either. I have been on 7 interviews now and some of them have been relaxing conversations about travels, past experiences, etc, and others have been slightly more intense, but all have gone well. I definitely get a lot of questions about my prior research and my future research interests. I do not know anything about the Tulane program since I did not apply there, but I am more familiar with the Wash U program. Overall, it is a really good program, but let me know if you have any questions.

Interviews: Kaiser, UC Irvine, UC San Diego
Still waiting to hear from a number of programs!

Are you guys going on as many interviews as you can? I may have overapplied, but AI is competitive. I plan on going on around 16-17 out of 24 invites...I just don't want to beat myself later about not going on more if I don't match. What do you think is a safe number?

Are you guys going on as many interviews as you can? I may have overapplied, but AI is competitive. I plan on going on around 16-17 out of 24 invites...I just don't want to beat myself later about not going on more if I don't match. What do you think is a safe number?
Try your best to go as many as u can! Some programs will interview more than 25 candidates for only one position and they might have internal candidate.

heard from UCLA today...

I head from UCLA as well...program director wanted to have a phone conversation...is that what was offered to you guys? Are you from Cali microman?
I've noticed most big city program interviews tend to select residents from their own city...like nyc will invite mostly nyc program residents and etc.

I head from UCLA as well...program director wanted to have a phone conversation...is that what was offered to you guys? Are you from Cali microman?
I've noticed most big city program interviews tend to select residents from their own city...like nyc will invite mostly nyc program residents and etc.

I am a Cali native. I was also asked to have a phone conversation with the program director.

so the interview is just a call?

No, the intent is to have an in-person interview after the speaking with the Program Director over the phone. The Program Director wants to tell candidates more about the program to make sure that UCLA is a good fit for each candidate's career goals prior to actually conducting an in-person interview.

microman, any idea how many invites UCLA gave out? As someone not even close in distance to California, 1 of 30 interviews is alot different than 1 in 10.

Haven't done the phone interview yet, but do you know the actual interview period?

microman, any idea how many invites UCLA gave out? As someone not even close in distance to California, 1 of 30 interviews is alot different than 1 in 10.

Haven't done the phone interview yet, but do you know the actual interview period?

The UCLA website says they interview about 10 candidates (http://www.uclaallergy.org/ApplicationInformation.html).
I haven't completed the phone conversation either, so I don't know when the actual interview might be. More importantly, I don't even know if I'll get a formal interview after the phone conversation!

In other news, Scripps should be sending out interview invites some time this week.

Last edited:
I had my phone interview with UCLA. I was offered an in person interview at the end of the conversation.
So how many of you are seriously considering pursuing academics. I enjoy clinical research a great deal, but seems like once you pursue any type of research, it consumes a major part of your job and there is little room left for clinical practice. One of the reasons I went into medicine was to take care of patients...if I wanted to do research then I would just have gotten a PhD. Why am I going through 3 years of residency if in the end they expect us to be grant writers and scientists?

Last edited:
I had my phone interview with UCLA saturday night. Reception was a little choppy, so wasn't the best interview...I was offered an in person interview at the end of the conversation, but program director left me hanging...she asked me to strongly think about if it was the right program for me...so now I'm not sure if I want to go for the interview...

So how many of you are seriously considering pursuing academics. I enjoy clinical research a great deal, but seems like once you pursue any type of research, it consumes a major part of your job and there is little room left for clinical practice. One of the reasons I went into medicine was to take care of patients...if I wanted to do research then I would just have gotten a PhD. Why am I going through 3 years of residency if in the end they expect us to be grant writers and scientists?

I've been really interested in academic immunology up to this point, so I really would like to be involved with research. Grant writing, though painful, would be a useful skill to have depending on your career goals. If you want to enter a private practice and focus primarily on allergy, then I'd focus on programs with that emphasis.

I had my phone interview with UCLA saturday night. Reception was a little choppy, so wasn't the best interview...I was offered an in person interview at the end of the conversation, but program director left me hanging...she asked me to strongly think about if it was the right program for me...so now I'm not sure if I want to go for the interview...

Part of it is just playing the game of getting a fellowship spot. Most fellowships around the country are demanding some sort of research time within the training period, especially the most competetive fellowships like AI. GI, Cards and Heme/Onc are also plagued with these demands. If you look at the aaaai.org site under training programs, you'll find that many graduate from academically focused programs and join the private ranks, so rest assured you won't be forced to pursue academics once you've completed your training. I say play the game, what's important is to get into AI period, no matter what program accepts you. One program in mind that is definitely straight up clinical is the Cleveland Clinic. Just sayin'

Thanks UNCmdphd! This is helpful advice. Have an interview at national Jewish... Great program and strong training, but my concern is that they force their fellows into academia... Which intimidates me.

Thanks UNCmdphd! This is helpful advice. Have an interview at national Jewish... Great program and strong training, but my concern is that they force their fellows into academia... Which intimidates me.

I personally know at least two practicing allergists in the Charlotte, NC area who trained at National Jewish...that place is the bomb-shizzle for training. In many circles, it's considered THE place to train for allergy. I say play the game and go! They have the highest number of trainees when compared to most other programs; this can be very helpful when splitting the consult service.

Just finished my interview at National Jewish. Pros were attendings were very friendly, fellows seemed to be happy and great research opportunites with state of the art facilities. Although there are 3 IM fellows per year, all the calls are left for the first years. First year is intense also because there are about 4 dull day clinics and consults then have to be done either before or after clinic. Normal day for fellows start at 7:30am on tues and thurs (for conferences) and I think around 8am rest of the time. IM and Peds are pretty much divided so if you're peds, you have 1/2 day of adult clinic a week and if you're IM you have 1/2 peds clinic a week.

I just got an invite from Baylor. Anyone care to share their interview experience at Baylor and their thoughts about the program. At this point...I don't think I can schedule anymore interviews...but if it's worth going...then I may make an exception.

Anyone want to share iv experiences from other programs.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
anyone heard from Scripps? would like to know if theyve sent out invites b4 i go to SanDiego.....

Hope some of you were able to go to the meeting in San Francisco, the topics were interesting and it was a great opportunity for networking. The weather could've been better :(

For future residents/med students, there are opportunities to participate (at low financial costs to them) in the form of travel fellowships (i.e., the restarted Chrysalis Project for med students). For those not participating in the match, hopefully you can take advantage of these opportunities.

To Allergydoc, I didn't mean to offend, CC's program is not as academic given my personal goals for a career in academic medicine, thus it is my opinion that Cleveland is a better fit for those more clinically inclined. Their training grants allow for 2 years of fellowship and don't necessarily support a third year (important given your overall career goals).

anybody heard from Wash U in st louis, and when did u hear...?