All S's no H's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suction

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All...

I am a 3rd year who has not gotten any honors, and will not get AOA. I got a 243 on step 1. Am a second author on 1 review paper in psyhiatry, and another from undergrad...
I know that to make it in Ortho I will need to get involved with some research and make some connections via externships... But before I throw myself into this process I wanted to know what people thought, especially anyone who has been through this process.
Any info, ideas, etc. are welcome...
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

your step 1 score will get you plenty of interviews...the rest is up to you. You will match into ortho unless you have serious personality flaws.

don't worry about AOA...sure it helps if you have it but it's not a deal-breaker if you don't.

I'm involved in interviewing applicants this year as a chief resident, and I can tell you that of 40 or so interview applicants, maybe a handful had over 250 and there were a bunch in the 230's and a few lower than that...you definitely stand out with a score over 240.

Hello, I posted a msg in the neurosurgery thread under NS Chances, however, I am also looking into ortho as another possibilty... both are similar fields and my end point is to become a spine surgeon. I have a siilar question.. I also probably wont be AOA, but unlike the above poster I have a 211/86 on my step 1. I also have about eight abstract publications, three journal article publications, and two more manuscripts in the works. Am i competitive for ortho?

Members don't see this ad :)
BigRedStress said:
Hello, I posted a msg in the neurosurgery thread under NS Chances, however, I am also looking into ortho as another possibilty... both are similar fields and my end point is to become a spine surgeon. I have a siilar question.. I also probably wont be AOA, but unlike the above poster I have a 211/86 on my step 1. I also have about eight abstract publications, three journal article publications, and two more manuscripts in the works. Am i competitive for ortho?

alot of programs have step 1 cutoffs where they dont read your app unless you have above a certain score. you can probably overcome some of this by your step 2 score and also by doing away rotations and impressing the hell out of people. hopefully your research is at least peripherally related to ortho, but even if its not, it should help out.

suction said:
Hello All...

I am a 3rd year who has not gotten any honors, and will not get AOA. I got a 243 on step 1. Am a second author on 1 review paper in psyhiatry, and another from undergrad...
I know that to make it in Ortho I will need to get involved with some research and make some connections via externships... But before I throw myself into this process I wanted to know what people thought, especially anyone who has been through this process.
Any info, ideas, etc. are welcome...
Thanks...

I was fired up when I got my first H.

The bad news was that it was in PSYCH.

BigRedStress said:

Step 1 cutoffs are a reality for many programs, and in your situation, no matter what the rest of your C.V. looks like, there are many that won't read anything past your score. Set up meetings with your program directors (both NS and Ortho) for advice about "smart" applying. You need to be realistic about where to apply (a.k.a. who will see you for the forest rather than a couple bad looking trees) and will need to maximize your connections, away rotation performances (which, unfortunately, also sometimes utilize a score cutoff to determine who to give rotating spots to), and other possible strengths.

There is a lot of debate about improving on your board profile with a strong Step 2 to make up for a lackluster Step 1. While slam-dunking Step 2 can do no harm, how much help it renders is unknown. Many PD's and chairs state that they will take a strong Step 1 (230+) over a killer increase between the two (say 211 to 250+ as a broad example). Again, all things to talk to those "in the know" about. Everyone in the ortho community knows each other, so utilize this to your greatest advantage. Good luck.