All motivation gone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDarce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past 3 rotations now, I've had no motivation for anything. It's extremely difficult to study, been studying for shelf's last minute and since I've been doing well I've pretty much kept the same schedule. I get home from the hospital and just watch TV and eat poorly. Previously, I would work out every day even when busy, had loads of interests to the point where I didn't have time for it all.

Now, even when I have days off I spend it at home doing nothing. I'll ignore friends purposefully so I don't have to go out. I realize all of this is happening and WANT to fix it but there's no motivation. I'm doing otherwise fine, just upset that I can't seem to pull myself out of this and get back to how I was. Anyone relate? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can relate. Burn out is completely normal. Does your school offer counseling services? That would be my recommendation.

Reactions: 2 users
Where are you I’m the grand scheme of things? I agree that burnout can look like that but I don’t want to dismiss it outright. Especially the part about avoiding friends and letting some self care stuff slip. I’ve seen friends, especially on lighter rotations vs heavy ones in terms of work hours, have this kind of build up. Some of it self resolved but in one case there was some counseling/addressing of over underlying depression necessary. Are you feeling motivated about your future... excited about what you are going into?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could be depression (third year certainly gave me situational depression), could be burn out, could just be sleep deprivation. I would talk with your physician/counselors to figure out how to best help out out of this funk.

This just reinforces that medical students/physicians are severely underpaid for all the crap they have to go through. Man I wish I could be a 12 year old on Youtube showing my pokemon collection and rake in 200k dollars a month lmao. Oh well. I hope you get over it bud.

This just reinforces that medical students/physicians are severely underpaid for all the crap they have to go through. Man I wish I could be a 12 year old on Youtube showing my pokemon collection and rake in 200k dollars a month lmao. Oh well. I hope you get over it bud.
Most youtubers don't make that much for that, except the very top ones

Most youtubers don't make that much for that, except the very top ones

If I talk about doctors I talk about all subspecialities. So to counter your argument, I need to include all entertainment branches. If you add up all those from Youtube, Mixer, Twitch, Instagram, Dlive and the other social medias + acting, music industry etc. you'll soon realize that I'm 100 % correct saying that in the grand scheme of things, doctors are severely, outrageously underpaid considering what they do and have done to get to where they are.

Reactions: 1 users
For the past 3 rotations now, I've had no motivation for anything. It's extremely difficult to study, been studying for shelf's last minute and since I've been doing well I've pretty much kept the same schedule. I get home from the hospital and just watch TV and eat poorly. Previously, I would work out every day even when busy, had loads of interests to the point where I didn't have time for it all.

Now, even when I have days off I spend it at home doing nothing. I'll ignore friends purposefully so I don't have to go out. I realize all of this is happening and WANT to fix it but there's no motivation. I'm doing otherwise fine, just upset that I can't seem to pull myself out of this and get back to how I was. Anyone relate? Any advice?

Never was a medical student, but this sounds like textbook burnout. Had a few bouts of this in dental school, and also in the working world.

What's the solution? Honestly: you just gotta change it up, motivate yourself, and have a goal outside school/work. We are talking about a full 180. I dunno, go do a triathalon. Go look on youtube some ironman videos. You gotta sleep early, wake up early, stick to a routine of biking, lifting, workout out, and also eating healthy.

Easier said then done right? Either way- you are going to need some self-will to get back on track and or find someone in your class that has a set routine...wake up, run, swim, gym, and ask him or her to motivate you back on track.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users