All about Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyperalz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

Anyone has any pros and cons about Columbia? Some qs I have in particular:

1. what's the avg class size for Epi classes?

2. Ive looked at the web site but I still can't tell if there are research grants easily available for students to do their practicum and/or thesis research... anyone know?

any interesting facts about Columbia, particularly Epi dept?

Members don't see this ad.

cyperalz said:
I found this link about undergrad life in columbia.. it may answer some qs about columbia

http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/columbia/

Hi Guys,

I don't know much about the Epi program, but felt the EHS (envi. health science) was very strong. Epi is a pretty big program compared to the mid-20s EHS. I have heard that if you are very need-based you usually can get a small grant...they are legitimately having some $ issues now, though that is likely to change.
I have been told the cheapest way to go is to stay in the Columbia dorms. This didn't seem TOO bad as a couples student, but as a single student (yours truly) you are unlikely to have an oven in your apartment! I am kinda disturbed by that.
The MAIN issue down there, in my opinion, is that the area did not feel very safe...its REALLY close to the subway though which is great. I would LOVE to hear some comments from others on the area alone. I have lived before in really bad neighborhoods with constant drug-related violence etc. and had vowed not to do it again..its a really good school though and perhaps its not as bad as it seems!?

later,
ubercoo

Members don't see this ad :)
ubercoo said:
Hi Guys,

I don't know much about the Epi program, but felt the EHS (envi. health science) was very strong. Epi is a pretty big program compared to the mid-20s EHS. I have heard that if you are very need-based you usually can get a small grant...they are legitimately having some $ issues now, though that is likely to change.
I have been told the cheapest way to go is to stay in the Columbia dorms. This didn't seem TOO bad as a couples student, but as a single student (yours truly) you are unlikely to have an oven in your apartment! I am kinda disturbed by that.
The MAIN issue down there, in my opinion, is that the area did not feel very safe...its REALLY close to the subway though which is great. I would LOVE to hear some comments from others on the area alone. I have lived before in really bad neighborhoods with constant drug-related violence etc. and had vowed not to do it again..its a really good school though and perhaps its not as bad as it seems!?

later,
ubercoo

how big are the classes, and how bad is the neighborhood??

cyperalz said:
how big are the classes, and how bad is the neighborhood??

Hey, i live in NYC, although definitely not an expert on Washington Heights. My sense is that the neighborhood used to be really drug and crime-infested, but it has gotten better over the last decade. My worry would not be drug violence at this point, but definitely petty crime. I saw a student got her cellphone snatched last month... As a petite female, I would probably try to avoid taking the subway alone or walking home alone late at night, as a precaution against mugging. But those are precautions I would take in all areas, really - I know someone who got mugged in Murray Hill a few months ago (supposedly a much more upscale NYC neighborhood), so go figure...

norwegianform said:
The forum on undergrad life at Columbia might not be the most useful, although it's appreciated. The ug campus is in Morningside Heights and Mailman is in Washington Heights with the med and dental schools. It's about five stations away, which would make it a very different neighborhood. I live in Morningside Heights, and I have to say that I love it. I live four blocks from the projects, but I feel completely safe--although you can definitely tell when you leave the Columbia area. From what my friends have said about Washington Heights: 1. don't live in the eastern side, 2. a bit boring, 3. pretty safe. I wouldn't be worry about living there from a safety standpoint, and because it's not as exciting or close to downtown, the cost of housing is lower.

Anyone know anything about the program itself?

Thanks

Hey all,

Oops, I was wrong about the no kitchen in ANY of the single student housing setups...some have them, some don't.
It was hard to get a good read on Wash. Heights....It didn't 'feel' dangerous, but when I got out of the subway at midday there were a Number of guys just standing around..(I am not sure why? I've seen that scenario in the past if there is an unemployment office, a methodone clinic etc...?)
Some of these guys said some sexual things..yet in a very polite way. At around 7:30pm that evening though when there were more guys standing around..some said some VERY crude things ('I'd like to lick that all night long'...sorry for the explicit info! ) Normally I wouldn't let this bother me...women out there know it happens ALL the time..yet I was just there that 1 day! Plus I had a nice dress coat on, nice slacks...not a miniskirt!
This MAY have been an isolated incident (?!) or it MAY be standard affair down there? Either way, some people will care not to deal with it, and others may find the strength of the school prevails.
:confused:

I lived in Washington Heights. Here are my impressions:
It's safe during the day and generally safe at night around the hospital/school. If you stray too far from the school it gets less so. I wouldn't live in the 106 haven building, as a park with drug sales is nearby and there is quite a bit of crime around there. I would agree that the neighborhood is kind of boring, but it's 20 minutes to midtown on the subway, and it's much cheaper living around there. I always felt safe on the subway, even late at night. So if you live up there, live west of broadway and close to the school. Columbia is a great school, and nyc is an exciting place to live.

P.S. I was in epi and most of my epi electives were 10-20 people, with a lot of discussion. Epi 2 and 3 are larger (50-100).