ALK+ lung ca blocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was able to acquire some tumoral resection tissue blocks of an ALK+ lung adenocarcinoma from an old research study which is long complete.

Any ideas on unloading these valuable ($$) tissue blocks?

Members don't see this ad.

I was able to acquire some tumoral resection tissue blocks of an ALK+ lung adenocarcinoma from an old research study which is long complete.

I assume this is a mocking reference to the vanishingly rare ALK+ lung tumor, often seen astride a white pegasus or unicorn pointing the way to a pot of gold?

This is likely too subtle for this crowd Im afraid.

I order it on every non squam non small cell and have never seen one come back positive. Supposedly it is usually only seen in ones with signet ring morphology. But hey if it is ever all positive there is a drug that costs 50k a month that will extend your miserable life four months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I order it on every non squam non small cell and have never seen one come back positive. Supposedly it is usually only seen in ones with signet ring morphology. But hey if it is ever all positive there is a drug that costs 50k a month that will extend your miserable life four months.

I have has 2 come back positive, including the first time I ever ordered it.

Now we are going to have to start ordering ros1, about half as prevalent.

I stopped caring long ago. I tried telling oncologists this was a waste and they refused to relent. Now I just PC the fish and call it day. PC splitting the fish is the way to go btw.

I stopped caring long ago. I tried telling oncologists this was a waste and they refused to relent. Now I just PC the fish and call it day. PC splitting the fish is the way to go btw.

Are you fellowship trained in PC Fish?

The oncologists here require pathologists to have 1 year fellowship plus 5 years experience in order to read CISH.

The oncologists here require pathologists to have 1 year fellowship plus 5 years experience in order to read CISH.
Bwahahahhaha what?
Yes yes I'm actually fellowship trained in everything. See where I am I require oncologists to be boarded to open their mouths at tumor board. So there are geographic differences to consider....

How insulting. You don't need a year training to count black and red dots. The tcpc split for FIsh is a good way to go. Dualish is awesomer though because you can do the tc as easily as doing an immuno stain and bill the global.

Last edited:
If local oncologists are actually dictating your scope of practice, you have VERY serious problems. Very serious.

No one should dictate your scope of practice aside from you, your group and the facility's credentialing committee (which should be a physician group you have strong representation on).

This is a valuable point for everyone on the SDN pathology forum.

Clarient is a good lab to use for this arrangement?

Sorry that was a bit of sarcasm inserted as a shot for all the superspeciality fellowship advocates out there. The fact that it is not wholly absurd says a lot for the current trends in pathology for GI, GU, Derm, Gyn, Breast, Liver, etc. etc. folks who think that it takes a whole year to competently sign out organ specific community path.

I am skeptical of guidelines when groups producing them appear to benefit from their implementation

Anyone have any comments on my actual question? Ideas or good vendors in mind for purchasing these goldmine blocks from me? [Clarient has been giving me run around]

Anyone have any comments on my actual question? Ideas or good vendors in mind for purchasing these goldmine blocks from me? [Clarient has been giving me run around]

While you're at it, you should probably stop by the autopsy suite and pick up some cadavers that are no longer needed. I'm sure those are worth some serious $$ to somebody.

/yes, I am joking, and I hope so are you