Algebra SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted19731

Did anybody have problems with college algebra?

It is killing me. I would have 4.0 if it wasn't for that stupid class. I swear, I can't even understand what my Hatian teacher is trying to tell us.

Does anybody know if it is a pre-req? I can't drop it and I am definitally gonna pass, but I don't know if it will be a B, C, or D at this point because of finals.

I hope I am not the only person who is catching Hell over math.

Members don't see this ad.

Uh... how are you going to pass Calculus then. Its a prereq a many schools.

Originally posted by RPW
Did anybody have problems with college algebra?

It is killing me. I would have 4.0 if it wasn't for that stupid class. I swear, I can't even understand what my Hatian teacher is trying to tell us.

Does anybody know if it is a pre-req? I can't drop it and I am definitally gonna pass, but I don't know if it will be a B, C, or D at this point because of finals.

I hope I am not the only person who is catching Hell over math.

Algebra is a prereq for Calculus, and Calculus is a premed requirement.

If it helps, though, I was AWFUL at Algebra in high school. It was the closest I've ever come to failing a class (in fact, my teacher sat me down and told me she was passing me with a D, but only because she liked me).

I spent a summer studying algebra on my own, and I still wasn't very comfortable with it, so I retook precalculus in college. It did absolutely nothing for me, because I was okay at precalc in high school anyway.

Now I'm finally in Calculus--and I'm fine.

It would probably be easier if I was better at algebra, but I have an A in Calc II and I was fifth in my class before this morning's exam, which I completely nailed.

I'm not posting this to brag. I just want you to know that if I can do math--ANYONE can. Don't give up. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mean college level algebra, which is usually an upperdivision math class. Or "high school" level algebra, which is offered in a college (I took it in college too, nothing wrong with that).

Try talking your teacher about what you're doing wrong. Well, maybe if you don't like your teacher or his teaching/communication stlyes, is there someone else you can ask? Does your college have a tutorial center or a place to get help with classes?
In general in math classes, You have to practice a LOT of problems. Practice more in topics you are weak at.

Are you a freshman? Because, in general your grades do go down because classes get harder. If you're going to get a C, I would drop it or file pass / no-pass (talk to your advisor whether this is okay before you do it!!!). HOwever, I would highly suggest doing well in this class, and learning it. As others mentioned, you WILL need to use the stuff you learn here in other math classes.

I dont know what to say, algebra will be necesarry for many of your premed classes. If you dont understand it now, you are gonna be in trouble come college physics.

As to your problem with algebra. Do you think it is the material or the professor?

If it is the material consider a tutor and start meeting with them 3 times a week to see if you can salvage this semester. You will need some of this knowledge in Physics.

If it is the professor, I don't know what to tell you. Except maybe retake with a different person, take Alg II with a different person or again meet with a tutor and try to overcome the prof's bad teaching skills.

Good luck. You will need a year of math as a requirement for almost every med school in this country, so get some help now so you can get the required math courses and do well with them.

I know that Calculus is a requirement for only a few schools so I am really not worried about taking it. (I will take business Calculus if I just have to have it.)

I guess I was just wanting to complain about it. I think that my biggest problem is that the instructor gives us problems on the tests and quizes that she hasen't covered in class or in the homework.

As far as I know this will be my last math class, except maybe trig. I am probably a history major, but I won't know for sure for another year or so.

Anyways thanks for listening to me.

Hey RPW! Hang in there. :)

I hated algebra too until the middle of the semester (I think you and I griped mutually about our classes via PM, actually!), and all of the sudden, my class has gotten into fun, cool stuff that is actually easier than the crap they try to feed you in the beginning. If your teacher and your textbook both suck, you might consider going to Borders and reading some of the math-related books there. There are some really entertaining math-oriented books that give you all kinds of neato applications for the stuff we're learning and also (I think) explain the theories better. Plus, it will give you neat tidbits to tell your professor. I was able to recommend a PBS special to mine when we were talking about the Golden Mean. :clap:

To the OP....

If it makes you feel any better, my only non-A grade ever was in algebra. That damn B messed up that 4.0 I would have had when I graduate this year! I had no problems with Calc or Trig but algebra just wasn't my thing. So, don't let people get you discourage by saying this is just a baby step before the harder stuff. It's totally possible to kick some a** on other math coursework if algebra is getting you down. Just make sure you find some help out ther to help get you through it.