Aldol16's Guide to 520+ on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aldol16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Introduction and General Tips

In my stint here on the SDN website, I have met many different kinds of people who are all preparing for their MCAT - the most significant test they have taken to date - and many of you are terrified of the very prospect of studying for or taking the MCAT. It's no small task and to take it and do well is even harder. So in the last few months, I have explored different ways to prepare for the MCAT and I am here now to tell you how I studied.

Unlike what many people on here seem to believe, scoring in the 520+ range is not due to mere luck. It is an art. Not an art in the modern sense of the term, but rather in the sense that the ancients knew as "techne." If you go about memorizing random concepts and facts, then scoring in that range will indeed be luck for you. But if you go about studying in an efficient and effective manner, then you can build your confidence as well as develop your art. The reason most people believe that it is "luck "to score in the 520+ range is because they don't understand that you can't study for the MCAT like many pre-meds study for an Orgo exam, for example. That is, instead of memorizing minute details, you need to grasp the general concepts and be fluid enough to apply it to any situation you encounter on the MCAT. This is very important. In fact, I have had heated conversations with several members on here who believe that the key to scoring in the 99th percentile is memorizing minutiae. It is not.

In fact, this is the very reason why I am so against any flashcards. Students spend hundreds of hours with their fancy flashcards and try to memorize the definition of every term and every equation. This is a waste of computational space. You should be familiar enough with the terms to understand them but fluid and flexible enough to apply them to any passage you encounter. That's why understanding is so important as compared to memorization.

So, that said, how do you study then? Well, I will start out by listing the materials I used (no expensive prep courses or tutors necessary) and then study strategies for each section. Keep in mind that this approach is not a one-size-fits-all approach and oftentimes you have to find your own path.

Materials and Methods

I will list in order of decreasing importance:

AAMC Section Bank
AAMC Scored FL
AAMC Sample FL
AAMC Question Packs
Khan Academy B/BC and P/S Passages
Kaplan 7-book series and 3 included FLs

Okay, so I should clarify that I am not advertising one test prep company over others. In fact, I believe that all test prep companies will prepare you equally well content-wise for the MCAT although some might take a more roundabout way of doing it. So some companies might be like that long-winded teacher you had who would drawl on and on and on about things you didn't necessarily have to know whereas other companies are like the SparkNotes version of the first teacher.

The key to doing well is not content review but rather practice passages. This cannot be emphasized enough. As I said above, rote memorization won't help you on the MCAT, period. It's your logic and reasoning abilities that will set you apart. That's not to say you don't need any content knowledge. Quite the contrary, actually. Not only do you need basic content knowledge but you also need to be able to reason based on that content knowledge. So for example, you need to know that leucine, alanine, and valine are hydrophobic but that won't help you answer the question completely on the exam - you need to be able to reason that if a residue is buried, for example, it will want to interact via vdW/hydrophobic contacts and thus will want to be a nonpolar residue that packs well into the local structure.

C/P

Ah, this is my favorite section. I am a chemist by training, so this is the section I prepped the least for. If you're rusty on these topics, I would suggest you go through the content review books thoroughly.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to memorize a huge list of equations just for the MCAT. If you did your undergraduate studies right, you likely won't need to memorize any equations at all - the common ones that come up on the MCAT will be so commonly used in science that you should already know them from using them so much in your courses/research. An example is F = m*a or E = 1/2*m*v^2 or E = h*f. Complex, esoteric equations should be given to you in the problem. So instead of memorizing equations you will never use, make that space in your brain available for computations that form the core of scientific logic and reasoning!

As a direct corollary of this, you should know how to use dimensional analysis. This is an important skill to have not only for the MCAT but for life in general. If you are given numbers with units and told to find some unknown quantity, you can likely figure it out simply by using dimensional analysis. This is a shortcut on the MCAT if you find yourself at a loss for an equation (which you should never be because you were a good physics student!).

In terms of chemistry, you should make sure you understand why certain things work the way they do and not just memorize. In freshman organic chemistry, you probably memorized a list of reactions and what transformations they enact. For the MCAT, you will barely use any of those but the ones that do appear will require more in-depth knowledge than just knowing what the basic transformation is. For example, you might encounter an experiment that labels certain carbons or oxygens in a large substrate and require you to follow the atom through a mechanism that isn't shown explicitly. This would require an understanding of how to deconstruct bonds in a way that an organic chemist - or, in this case, the best organic chemist known, aka nature - would. This level of understanding is achieved by always asking the question "why?" when you're doing your content review. Ask yourself why a certain reaction happens when you see it. Or, more broadly, ask yourself why you would want fetal hemoglobin to have a higher O2 affinity than maternal hemoglobin. See if you can answer these kinds of questions and if not, then Google is your best friend - and it's free!

CARS

CARS studying really takes time. I don't mean that it's time-consuming - rather, it's a skill that you either have or don't and it takes time to build. If you don't do as well as you hoped in this section, don't expect to be able to study for two months and then get a 5 point increase in your score. Reading skills take a lot longer than that to develop and it's best to start early.

So what do I mean by start early? Well, you should constantly be reading. In today's day and age, the novel has been superseded by the television and the Netflix. Think about how much time a day you actually spend reading something that isn't a required reading for class. 15 minutes? 20? You need to get into the habit of reading - and I'm not talking about Sports Illustrated. You need to be reading well-constructed and well-argued articles. You can usually find these in reputable magazines and journals like NYTimes, The Economist, WSJ, etc. I personally prefer the opinions section of the NYTimes. Read for comprehension as well as critique. Think about what point the author is trying to make and if it makes sense. Then, think about what assumptions or holes the author's argument contains. You need to be at the point where you can do this subconsciously. That, of course, takes time - who said doing well on the MCAT could be achieved in a short period of time? Your reading doesn't have to be isolated to periodicals - any sort of well-written novel or non-fiction book would also do just fine. Ideally, you should be reading a mix of these, as you will encounter different types of passages in CARS.

B/BC

For this section, the key is to do practice passages as soon as possible. The field of biology is so large that it's pointless to memorize every little detail that could show up on the MCAT. There is literally an ocean of facts to choose from (as opposed to a much smaller pool for chemistry and physics due to the limited scope of the MCAT). Plus, the MCAT makers know this and so the passages are usually very data-driven. You need to be able to interpret scientific data that could show up in an article somewhere.

So how do you improve at that? You read the scientific literature and keep up with it. If you're doing research, you should be keeping up to date with your field anyway and this won't be a problem. For those of you who are still undergraduates not doing research, it's still a good idea to keep up with the literature in fields that you enjoy. Try to read one or two articles a week from the high-impact journals in your field. For many, that's some variation of Nature, Science, Cell, some variation of Nature like Nature Chemistry, Nature Chemical Biology, Nature Nanotechnology, etc. When you read the paper, try to interpret the figures and tables without reading the caption first. You can read the caption afterwards to see if you interpreted the data the same way the authors did. Note I didn't say the "correct" way. If you're good, sometimes you'll spot fallacies in the authors' interpretations when you take an unbiased view of the data and at that point, you'll know that you are prepared to interpret any sort of data the MCAT will throw at you.

For this section especially, there are some concepts that are absolutely essential to know. I know I said rote memorization is bad earlier on but in biology, you can't get away with understanding only first principles because the very field is based on memorization and less on mechanistic understanding - mainly because mechanistic probes of anything in biological systems are exceedingly difficult to generate. So the main topics to know are your amino acids (structures, 1- and 3-letter codes, properties, pKa values of side chains would be nice but not essential), glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, TCA cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, and the key steps of the pentose phosphate pathway, glycogen synthesis, beta oxidation, and lipid biosynthesis.

No, you do not need to "memorize" all the structures above. However, you should know the purpose of each pathway and why each step is carried out - especially in the central metabolic pathway of life: glycolysis --> TCA cycle --> oxidative phosphorylation. There is a chemical logic to each step and you should understand that. You should be so familiar with this that if I ask you what fumarase does and why it's necessary, you should immediately be able to answer. Again, you should seek understanding and not rote memorization. At the very least, you should be able to recognize the structures if they are given to you.

For this section particularly, Khan Academy practice passages are a great resource. There are a lot of data-driven passages on there that are excellent practice for the MCAT.

P/S

Ah, the new section. This section is perhaps the hardest to prepare for because prep companies have the least experience with it and the AAMC materials are currently limited. In my opinion, Kaplan does an excellent job introducing the key concepts and terminology of these disciplines that you need to know. For this section, you should be able to interpret all sorts of graphs and charts. Again, Khan Academy practice passages give you excellent practice in this area. When you see a chart or graph, you should immediately be able to pick out the most important things in the chart/graph and glean from it what the authors are trying to tell you with that data. Don't get bogged down in the details at the beginning - just look at the data and the general trends. This is where reading the scientific literature will come in handy.

On top of that, you also need to know basic psychology/sociology terminology. Taking intro-level courses in these disciplines may be a good idea for that and I know it helped me a little even though I took those courses years ago. But this is also where a lot of pre-meds fall into the trap of rote memorization vs. understanding. It's easy to take a bunch of flashcards and memorize the definition of every term on the AAMC lists. In fact, I would argue that even a monkey could do that. But that results in an inflexible vocabulary (functional fixedness, anyone?) - in other words, it's hard to apply these rigid definitions to new situations like you will encounter in passages. A better way to study is to try to grasp the main idea behind these terms. So you could go and memorize that cultural relativism is viewing another culture in terms of its own norms and mores. You could put that on a notecard, look at it every day, and have these words memorized verbatim by next week. But that doesn't mean you'll be able to apply it correctly come test day. So instead, you should know that the idea behind cultural relativism is that one is completely unbiased when judging another culture. So, "When a physician keeps insistently telling a patient that obesity is an illness despite the patient, always taught by her ethnic parents that obesity is personal choice, continually refusing to believe him/her, the physician has failed to observe which of the following? A) Linguistic relativity B) Ethnocentrism C) Cultural Relativism D) Assimilation."

Final Thoughts

If you've read all of this, you should realize that the MCAT is not something you can do well on if you start completely from scratch. Preparing for the MCAT, in a sense, begins at day one. You need to develop your scientific logic and reasoning skills as well as reading comprehension and verbal reasoning throughout your undergraduate studies and maintain those skills as you go along. If you do those things, scoring in that coveted 520+ range should not be a matter of luck but rather of techne.

As a direct consequence of the above, by the time you start studying, you should already have the requisite scientific reasoning skills to do well on the MCAT. Your main challenge should simply be to apply those skills to MCAT-style passages and timing.

I will continue adding to this and editing as more thoughts come to me.

Good luck on your studies!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45 users
great post! Out of curiosity, was passage timing challenging for you or just a minor adjustment once you started practicing with full lengths?

Members don't see this ad :)
great post! Out of curiosity, was passage timing challenging for you or just a minor adjustment once you started practicing with full lengths?

Passage timing was just a minor adjustment once I started with the FLs. I attribute that to my regular reading of scientific articles, which allowed me to take in and analyze data quickly. Practice makes perfect!

I am not gonna take advice from someone who only got a 526. jk jk

In all seriousness, I agree with this post very much. And for those who doubt it, the results speak for themselves. He got a 526 and he knows just about all the answers to the questions in the MCAT QA section.

Reactions: 2 users
Great job! You were a monster in the Q/A forum so I knew you would do well.

How many FL's did you take and how often?

How long did you study for? And what were your Kaplan 1-3 FL scores, if you don't mind me asking?

I did most of my content review over 3 weeks (the days were not completely devoted to studying) and the FLs over the last month before the exam. So all in all, I would say no more than 3 months but even that estimate includes a lot of time not spent studying (weeks at a time).

My Kaplan scores were 509, 510, and 514.

How many FL's did you take and how often?

I took the two AAMC FLs, Section Bank, 3 Kaplan FLs, the free TPR one (didn't like it so didn't review it), and the half-length NS one (didn't like that one either).

@aldol16 did you do the section banks timed before reviewing them? Also, were your AAMC FL's on par with your real score?

No, I reviewed after each question because I felt that kind of feedback would be better than going through all of them and then forgetting what mental processes I used to approach earlier questions as I reviewed. Given, this probably inflated by Section Bank score by a little bit because some answers become obvious if you know the answers to the previous question(s).

My Sample FL was around 90% correct on all sections and Scored FL was 520. Actual was 526.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did most of my content review over 3 weeks (the days were not completely devoted to studying) and the FLs over the last month before the exam. So all in all, I would say no more than 3 months but even that estimate includes a lot of time not spent studying (weeks at a time).

My Kaplan scores were 509, 510, and 514.

Wow pretty good scores... and that's on the higher end for Kaplan. I rarely see anyone on here posting 508+ scores for Kaplan FLs, which confirms just how ridiculously hard Kaplan's FLs are.

I like the post. But are you basically saying that unless you have been doing things right for a few years (reading a lot, learning for understanding in all of your classes), you can't score that high?

I like the post. But are you basically saying that unless you have been doing things right for a few years (reading a lot, learning for understanding in all of your classes), you can't score that high?

I'm saying that the best way to prepare is to build up your scientific reasoning skills early on. There's no replacement for that. Anybody who tells you they can get you from a 504 to a 520 in three months is lying.

If you haven't been building up those skills, the best option would be to start now, as soon as you can, so that you at least have some exposure to reading and interpreting scientific data before the MCAT. The reason the Section Bank is hard for most people is because their classes never taught them to think that way. They've only been taught to memorize and not to reason. The new MCAT is not about memorization. It's about reasoning.

Reactions: 1 users
For CARS (which I'm assuming you got close to a 132), is it normal for you to feel insecure after that section? Also, what's your general game plan if you encounter a really weird/convoluted passage?

For CARS (which I'm assuming you got close to a 132), is it normal for you to feel insecure after that section? Also, what's your general game plan if you encounter a really weird/convoluted passage?

No, not insecure. I would come out of it feeling like I got most of it right but not all. I would say I felt like I got >75% of the questions right? I ended up with a 131 in that section.

If I encounter a weird passage, I attack it the same way I do other ones. One brief read of the passage without focusing on the details too much - just on the key words and ideas in each paragraph. Then I go back to the relevant sections when I read the questions.

Reactions: 1 user
*slides you a $20 dollar bill*

So what would you recommend for us to 'understand' rather than memorize? I'm all for it, I freakin hate memorization, so I'm super glad you mentioned that. How do you know when you've fully understood a concept, and not just memorized it? Could you explain it to me please :)? Thanks for answering and congrats on the amazing test :)

Reactions: 4 users
@aldol16 how did you feel about the khan academy bio and Chem practice passages? Were they a big help and would you recommend spending a lot of time on those? and did you find any drawbacks with them?

Last edited:
@aldol16 how did you feel about the khan academy bio and Chem practice passages? Were they a big help and would you recommend spending a lot of time on those? and did you find any drawbacks with them? Thanks.

I would recommend doing KA B/BC and P/S passages. These are probably, in my opinion, the second best resource after the AAMC materials for these sections. You will find the occasional mistake because their quality control isn't yet up to par but overall, they are very good. With C/P, the KA materials are less good because many of the passages on there test on concepts and principles that are simply too advanced or in depth for the MCAT. So I just ignored the C/P KA passages altogether.

That said, I'm sorry I can't provide any suggestions as to where else to look for C/P passages because I didn't do much review in that area at all.

I would recommend doing KA B/BC and P/S passages. These are probably, in my opinion, the second best resource after the AAMC materials for these sections. You will find the occasional mistake because their quality control isn't yet up to par but overall, they are very good. With C/P, the KA materials are less good because many of the passages on there test on concepts and principles that are simply too advanced or in depth for the MCAT. So I just ignored the C/P KA passages altogether.

That said, I'm sorry I can't provide any suggestions as to where else to look for C/P passages because I didn't do much review in that area at all.

Above all, when approaching the Bio and Chem science passages, do you try to read the whole passage before answering questions? or do you just skim the passage...or perhaps just read some parts more carefully than others (while still reading the whole thing)? Thank you!

Above all, when approaching the Bio and Chem science passages, do you try to read the whole passage before answering questions? or do you just skim the passage...or perhaps just read some parts more carefully than others (while still reading the whole thing)? Thank you!

It depends on how hard the passage is. If it's really hard, I try to skim it, making a roadmap as I go on the scratch paper using shorthand so that I know what molecules upregulate what proteins, etc. That way, I don't have to read it again. Worst case scenario, I skim paying attention to key words and come back as I do the questions to focus on the relevant figures/tables/etc. You'll find that sometimes, a lot of the information in the passage that you might spend precious time trying to interpret doesn't even show up in the questions. So no need to waste time interpreting Figure 2 if it's not even relevant for the exam.

You mentioned fumarase. So how in depth should we know the Citric Acid Cycle? Is it a high yield area in general? A lot of 2016 test takers coming out of exams have said AAMC reduced biochem questions this year because everyone expected them to be there. Way to mess with our minds!

Thanks for all your advice. Really helps to fine-tune my studying.
Gonna adhere to the AAMC confidentiality agreement here and not mention any specific questions, but you should definitely know all the fundamentals of Glycolysis, TCA, and ETC. Input and output molecules, enzymes, cofactors, and functions of each step and overall process are very important to conceptualize (not memorize). Structures aren't really as important, but if you understand the concept and know the naming, the structures should be easy to derive and are fair-game on the MCAT...

Just my 0.02 as a recent [partial] test taker.

You mentioned fumarase. So how in depth should we know the Citric Acid Cycle? Is it a high yield area in general? A lot of 2016 test takers coming out of exams have said AAMC reduced biochem questions this year because everyone expected them to be there. Way to mess with our minds!

It is my philosophy that you should know the central metabolic pathways of life in sufficient detail that you are able to reason based on it. So for instance, if I say I take oxaloacetate out to make glucose, which metabolites should be lowered in the body? I'm not guaranteeing that you will see this kind of stuff on your MCAT day but you should be familiar with it because it is the essence of biochemistry (that and enzyme kinetics).

In my stint here on the SDN website, I have met many different kinds of people who are all preparing for their MCAT - the most significant test they have taken to date - and many of you are terrified of the very prospect of studying for or taking the MCAT. It's no small task and to take it and do well is even harder. So in the last few months, I have explored different ways to prepare for the MCAT and I am here now to tell you how I studied.

Unlike what many people on here seem to believe, scoring in the 520+ range is not due to mere luck. It is an art. Not an art in the modern sense of the term, but rather in the sense that the ancients knew as "techne." If you go about memorizing random concepts and facts, then scoring in that range will indeed be luck for you. But if you go about studying in an efficient and effective manner, then you can build your confidence as well as develop your art. The reason most people believe that it is "luck "to score in the 520+ range is because they don't understand that you can't study for the MCAT like many pre-meds study for an Orgo exam, for example. That is, instead of memorizing minute details, you need to grasp the general concepts and be fluid enough to apply it to any situation you encounter on the MCAT. This is very important. In fact, I have had heated conversations with several members on here who believe that the key to scoring in the 99th percentile is memorizing minutiae. It is not.

In fact, this is the very reason why I am so against any flashcards. Students spend hundreds of hours with their fancy flashcards and try to memorize the definition of every term and every equation. This is a waste of computational space. You should be familiar enough with the terms to understand them but fluid and flexible enough to apply them to any passage you encounter. That's why understanding is so important as compared to memorization.

So, that said, how do you study then? Well, I will start out by listing the materials I used (no expensive prep courses or tutors necessary) and then study strategies for each section. Keep in mind that this approach is not a one-size-fits-all approach and oftentimes you have to find your own path.

Materials and Methods

AAMC Section Bank
AAMC Scored FL
AAMC Sample FL
AAMC Question Packs

Okay, so I should clarify that I am not advertising one test prep company over others. In fact, I believe that all test prep companies will prepare you equally well content-wise for the MCAT although some might take a more roundabout way of doing it. So some companies might be like that long-winded teacher you had who would drawl on and on and on about things you didn't necessarily have to know whereas other companies are like the SparkNotes version of the first teacher.

The key to doing well is not content review but rather practice passages. This cannot be emphasized enough. As I said above, rote memorization won't help you on the MCAT, period. It's your logic and reasoning abilities that will set you apart. That's not to say you don't need any content knowledge. Quite the contrary, actually. Not only do you need basic content knowledge but you also need to be able to reason based on that content knowledge. So for example, you need to know that leucine, alanine, and valine are hydrophobic but that won't help you answer the question completely on the exam - you need to be able to reason that if a residue is buried, for example, it will want to interact via vdW/hydrophobic contacts and thus will want to be a nonpolar residue that packs well into the local structure.

C/P

Ah, this is my favorite section. I am a chemist by training, so this is the section I prepped the least for. If you're rusty on these topics, I would suggest you go through the content review books thoroughly.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to memorize a huge list of equations just for the MCAT. If you did your undergraduate studies right, you likely won't need to memorize any equations at all - the common ones that come up on the MCAT will be so commonly used in science that you should already know them from using them so much in your courses/research. An example is F = m*a or E = 1/2*m*v^2 or E = h*f. Complex, esoteric equations should be given to you in the problem. So instead of memorizing equations you will never use, make that space in your brain available for computations that form the core of scientific logic and reasoning!

As a direct corollary of this, you should know how to use dimensional analysis. This is an important skill to have not only for the MCAT but for life in general. If you are given numbers with units and told to find some unknown quantity, you can likely figure it out simply by using dimensional analysis. This is a shortcut on the MCAT if you find yourself at a loss for an equation (which you should never be because you were a good physics student!).

In terms of chemistry, you should make sure you understand why certain things work the way they do and not just memorize. In freshman organic chemistry, you probably memorized a list of reactions and what transformations they enact. For the MCAT, you will barely use any of those but the ones that do appear will require more in-depth knowledge than just knowing what the basic transformation is. For example, you might encounter an experiment that labels certain carbons or oxygens in a large substrate and require you to follow the atom through a mechanism that isn't shown explicitly. This would require an understanding of how to deconstruct bonds in a way that an organic chemist - or, in this case, the best organic chemist known, aka nature - would. This level of understanding is achieved by always asking the question "why?" when you're doing your content review. Ask yourself why a certain reaction happens when you see it. Or, more broadly, ask yourself why you would want fetal hemoglobin to have a higher O2 affinity than maternal hemoglobin. See if you can answer these kinds of questions and if not, then Google is your best friend - and it's free!

CARS

CARS studying really takes time. I don't mean that it's time-consuming - rather, it's a skill that you either have or don't and it takes time to build. If you don't do as well as you hoped in this section, don't expect to be able to study for two months and then get a 5 point increase in your score. Reading skills take a lot longer than that to develop and it's best to start early.

So what do I mean by start early? Well, you should constantly be reading. In today's day and age, the novel has been superseded by the television and the Netflix. Think about how much time a day you actually spend reading something that isn't a required reading for class. 15 minutes? 20? You need to get into the habit of reading - and I'm not talking about Sports Illustrated. You need to be reading well-constructed and well-argued articles. You can usually find these in reputable magazines and journals like NYTimes, The Economist, WSJ, etc. I personally prefer the opinions section of the NYTimes. Read for comprehension as well as critique. Think about what point the author is trying to make and if it makes sense. Then, think about what assumptions or holes the author's argument contains. You need to be at the point where you can do this subconsciously. That, of course, takes time - who said doing well on the MCAT could be achieved in a short period of time? Your reading doesn't have to be isolated to periodicals - any sort of well-written novel or non-fiction book would also do just fine. Ideally, you should be reading a mix of these, as you will encounter different types of passages in CARS.

B/BC

For this section, the key is to do practice passages as soon as possible. The field of biology is so large that it's pointless to memorize every little detail that could show up on the MCAT. There is literally an ocean of facts to choose from (as opposed to a much smaller pool for chemistry and physics due to the limited scope of the MCAT). Plus, the MCAT makers know this and so the passages are usually very data-driven. You need to be able to interpret scientific data that could show up in an article somewhere.

So how do you improve at that? You read the scientific literature and keep up with it. If you're doing research, you should be keeping up to date with your field anyway and this won't be a problem. For those of you who are still undergraduates not doing research, it's still a good idea to keep up with the literature in fields that you enjoy. Try to read one or two articles a week from the high-impact journals in your field. For many, that's some variation of Nature, Science, Cell, some variation of Nature like Nature Chemistry, Nature Chemical Biology, Nature Nanotechnology, etc. When you read the paper, try to interpret the figures and tables without reading the caption first. You can read the caption afterwards to see if you interpreted the data the same way the authors did. Note I didn't say the "correct" way. If you're good, sometimes you'll spot fallacies in the authors' interpretations when you take an unbiased view of the data and at that point, you'll know that you are prepared to interpret any sort of data the MCAT will throw at you.

For this section especially, there are some concepts that are absolutely essential to know. I know I said rote memorization is bad earlier on but in biology, you can't get away with understanding only first principles because the very field is based on memorization and less on mechanistic understanding - mainly because mechanistic probes of anything in biological systems are exceedingly difficult to generate. So the main topics to know are your amino acids (structures, 1- and 3-letter codes, properties, pKa values of side chains would be nice but not essential), glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, TCA cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, and the key steps of the pentose phosphate pathway, glycogen synthesis, beta oxidation, and lipid biosynthesis.

No, you do not need to "memorize" all the structures above. However, you should know the purpose of each pathway and why each step is carried out - especially in the central metabolic pathway of life: glycolysis --> TCA cycle --> oxidative phosphorylation. There is a chemical logic to each step and you should understand that. You should be so familiar with this that if I ask you what fumarase does and why it's necessary, you should immediately be able to answer. Again, you should seek understanding and not rote memorization. At the very least, you should be able to recognize the structures if they are given to you.

For this section particularly, Khan Academy practice passages are a great resource. There are a lot of data-driven passages on there that are excellent practice for the MCAT.

P/S

Ah, the new section. This section is perhaps the hardest to prepare for because prep companies have the least experience with it and the AAMC materials are currently limited. In my opinion, Kaplan does an excellent job introducing the key concepts and terminology of these disciplines that you need to know. For this section, you should be able to interpret all sorts of graphs and charts. Again, Khan Academy practice passages give you excellent practice in this area. When you see a chart or graph, you should immediately be able to pick out the most important things in the chart/graph and glean from it what the authors are trying to tell you with that data. Don't get bogged down in the details at the beginning - just look at the data and the general trends. This is where reading the scientific literature will come in handy.

On top of that, you also need to know basic psychology/sociology terminology. Taking intro-level courses in these disciplines may be a good idea for that and I know it helped me a little even though I took those courses years ago. But this is also where a lot of pre-meds fall into the trap of rote memorization vs. understanding. It's easy to take a bunch of flashcards and memorize the definition of every term on the AAMC lists. In fact, I would argue that even a monkey could do that. But that results in an inflexible vocabulary (functional fixedness, anyone?) - in other words, it's hard to apply these rigid definitions to new situations like you will encounter in passages. A better way to study is to try to grasp the main idea behind these terms. So you could go and memorize that cultural relativism is viewing another culture in terms of its own norms and mores. You could put that on a notecard, look at it every day, and have these words memorized verbatim by next week. But that doesn't mean you'll be able to apply it correctly come test day. So instead, you should know that the idea behind cultural relativism is that one is completely unbiased when judging another culture. So, "When a physician keeps insistently telling a patient that obesity is an illness despite the patient, always taught by her ethnic parents that obesity is personal choice, continually refusing to believe him/her, the physician has failed to observe which of the following? A) Linguistic relativity B) Ethnocentrism C) Cultural Relativism D) Assimilation."

Final Thoughts

If you've read all of this, you should realize that the MCAT is not something you can do well on if you start completely from scratch. Preparing for the MCAT, in a sense, begins at day one. You need to develop your scientific logic and reasoning skills as well as reading comprehension and verbal reasoning throughout your undergraduate studies and maintain those skills as you go along. If you do those things, scoring in that coveted 520+ range should not be a matter of luck but rather of techne.

As a direct consequence of the above, by the time you start studying, you should already have the requisite scientific reasoning skills to do well on the MCAT. Your main challenge should simply be to apply those skills to MCAT-style passages and timing.

what do you mean by FL, B/BC. P/S

Materials and Methods

AAMC Section Bank
AAMC Scored FL
AAMC Sample FL
AAMC Question Packs

C/P

CARS

B/BC

P/S

Final Thoughts

OP, what did you not like about the Next Step half length diagnostic test?

OP, what did you not like about the Next Step half length diagnostic test?

I'm not sure I recall accurately any more since it was so long ago but I think it was a combination of it being overly picky about small details that don't matter and it not being formatted like an actual MCAT question. Maybe they've changed it since a few years ago.