Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamLover

Bored Certified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any light to shed on the program? Any current residents or anyone who interviewed there in the past? I'm trying to decide if I should make the trek. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any light to shed on the program? Any current residents or anyone who interviewed there in the past? I'm trying to decide if I should make the trek. Any insight would be much appreciated!

You list your address as NY, NY so a trip to Einstein would only be two subway tokens. I do not see much down side.

You list your address as NY, NY so a trip to Einstein would only be two subway tokens. I do not see much down side.

yeah...that's the address of Tiffany's Department Store...I don't really live there....I just fantasize about it....I live at least 1000 miles away

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...that's the address of Tiffany's Department Store...I don't really live there....I just fantasize about it....I live at least 1000 miles away

I had breakfast there once with a female companion and, as I recall, we both really liked it.

I did my residency there.

It's a fairly busy place, you work hard, but you are clinically very well trained.
They cover 2 hospitals, so time is about equally spilt between them. They are about 10 - 15 minutes drive apart. Caseload is diverse. Cardiac, OB, Neuro, Peds, Ortho, ENT... no trauma. Bread and butter to some specialized cases.

You get what you want out of it.

This last year, I believe all of us from the program that took the written boards passed it.

hope this helps.

I did my residency there.

It's a fairly busy place, you work hard, but you are clinically very well trained.
They cover 2 hospitals, so time is about equally spilt between them. They are about 10 - 15 minutes drive apart. Caseload is diverse. Cardiac, OB, Neuro, Peds, Ortho, ENT... no trauma. Bread and butter to some specialized cases.

You get what you want out of it.

This last year, I believe all of us from the program that took the written boards passed it.

hope this helps.

helps a lot! Thanks!

I wish the dates would work that I could do both....but I'm really leaning more toward the NYU interview now....what would you guys do? Any helpful info over why that would be a good or a bad plan?

Quality wise i don't think you can go wrong with either. They seem to me to both be good, solid programs. I've heard ppl bring up the issue of location however...

Quality wise i don't think you can go wrong with either. They seem to me to both be good, solid programs. I've heard ppl bring up the issue of location however...

I read that NYU does subsidized housing for residents...that would be needed for Manhatten...but I guess with Einstein being in the Bronx there isn't anything like that provided

I thought I read somewhere that Einstein helps out with rent, like $400 month? And it's definitely cheaper to live in the Bronx.

I read that NYU does subsidized housing for residents...that would be needed for Manhatten...but I guess with Einstein being in the Bronx there isn't anything like that provided

NYU doesn't subsidize housing but tries to find you a place at below market rate eg. $1600 closet instead of $2000 closet.
Einstein lets you live on the cheap in their housing.

NYU has subsidized housing too but it is limited. I believe the closets are actually $1100. (At least in the bldg across the street from the main hospital)

NYU has subsidized housing too but it is limited. I believe the closets are actually $1100. (At least in the bldg across the street from the main hospital)

okay, because I knew I read that they had some subsidized housing...I wonder if it is a lottery system or something since it is limited

From what I remember, NYU might have some very limited subsidized housing, but noting like the Cornell program that has apartment buildings dedicated to resident housing. NYU approaches the high-rent issue by bolstering the annual salary to around $51k if I remember correctly. I don't know much about the Einstein program but I did a month at NYU and if it were in a different city it would have been my #1 based on the faculty and other residents I interacted with.

From what I remember, NYU might have some very limited subsidized housing, but noting like the Cornell program that has apartment buildings dedicated to resident housing. NYU approaches the high-rent issue by bolstering the annual salary to around $51k if I remember correctly. I don't know much about the Einstein program but I did a month at NYU and if it were in a different city it would have been my #1 based on the faculty and other residents I interacted with.

I guess you are not a New York lover...that's okay....I think people are either lovers or haters of NYC...such is life

there is VERY limited subsidized housing at NYU for residents. no lottery system as far as i know, first dibs are given to students moving from across the country/foreign students. the apartments are nice (i live in one now) but a studio will run you at least 1300/month ( i believe that is what i am paying) and i think 1BR are on the order of 1800-2000/month. apts off campus in the area surrounding nyu are about 16-1700 for a studio and friends of mine who are in 1BR conversions (so 2BR) pay about 2600 total. from what i've heard they do pay slightly more at NYU than some other manhattan programs, but not sure about that... hope this helps some

dreamlover - i go to nyu med- i can help you answer questions on nyu if you want to pm me. there is VERY limited subsidized housing at NYU for residents. no lottery system as far as i know, first dibs are given to students moving from across the country/foreign students. the apartments are nice (i live in one now) but a studio will run you at least 1300/month ( i believe that is what i am paying) and i think 1BR are on the order of 1800-2000/month. apts off campus in the area surrounding nyu are about 16-1700 for a studio and friends of mine who are in 1BR conversions (so 2BR) pay about 2600 total. from what i've heard they do pay slightly more at NYU than some other manhattan programs, but not sure about that... hope this helps some

yeah, that helps a lot...I have been really interested in a NY program but I am seriously worried about being able to afford living there and whether or not it was worth it to move from an area with reasonable cost of living to NYC on a resident's salary...considering all the student loans I owe...as I am sure most do. Thanks for the info!

Einstein housing is $500 including utilities. Like most nyc programs the salary is very good around 50k for pgy1. You will need a car unless you want to live like a pauper and takes buses everywhere. I have a handful of friends training there and they do work pretty hard.. but thats par for the course for nyc programs. Living in manhattan you will be out at least $2000 a month for rent/utilities. Owning a car is possible but parking will be very painful not to mention very expensive gas in manhattan. $1500 a month savings is $18,000 dollars left over at the end of the year.