Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasman85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know that location-wise Albany is less than ideal, but I had a great interview day at this program and feel the program is strong clinically. I have found almost zero feedback about albany on the forums and was hoping someone could share their experience/thoughts.

The other 2 programs I'm toying with are St. Lukes and Tufts. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited

Members don't see this ad.

my friend did locums there, they asked him to join full time- yes, the area kills it for most, but he and others had nothing but good things to say about both department and staff there- grade A

I really really like that place when I interviewed there. Decided, ultimately, to stay closer to home and family, but I ranked them high nonetheless.

I have heard the place is pretty steady economically given that it's the state's capital. So, home prices etc. were somewhat stable during that downturn.

Overall, I didn't get a chance to "see the town" but it didn't seem all that bad. I found the people to be very friendly as well.

I went there for residency and loved it. I think my training was excellent, it has a 5 year accreditation, and a very high board passage rate. They treated us wonderfully- I hand picked cases I wanted at points CA3 year, we were always out for class, we had a light call schedule, we got books and funds. The program director is a nice guy who cares about you and the program. I really have nothing but good things to say about AMC.

I think it gets overlooked because of the location. Albany might not be the most happening town, but it has some nightlife, outdoors activities, and culture. It is affordable to live in and buy a house. Also, it has good schools if that matters to you.